CFZ The kind of defensive coordinator we should be looking for

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my opinion, none of the names for our next DC I’ve seen floating around the last few days are what we need. There’s a reason “names” like Mike Zimmer, Rex Ryan, Ron Rivera and possibly Wink Martindale are guys whose careers are mostly in the rear view mirror. There’s a reason most of these guys are readily available. No one else is rushing to hire them.

So why are we? Because our GM likes “a name”. He thinks like a fan. “Who are the big names out there we could hire?” That’s how fans think. Nothing wrong with that if you’re a fan. It’s a disaster if you’re the general manager. When your GM is also your primary marketing salesman, you get this kind of thinking. Instead of finding a great young defensive mind, you are instead looking for someone to sell to the fan base.

So what kind of DC should we be looking for? Here are the characteristics and talents I believe we should be hunting:
  • A talented coach who understands modern offenses and the fundamentals in how to stop them.
  • A defensive mind who understands “complimentary football”. If our offense is struggling or your team finds itself two scores behind, your defense better be able to stop the run and get off the field.
  • A coach who is flexible and not completely married to one style or approach to defense. The modern game requires being able to be flexible in approach. If you are glued to one philosophy or style (like having safeties as LBs, lol) you may be in trouble if that isn’t working.
Ok, so who are some examples of young coaches who could fit this bill?
  • One guy I really like (sadly he’s not available) is lions DC Aaron Glenn. He’s done wonders in Detroit with a very under-manned defensive talent base. He was aggressive, creative and flexible. The lions ran some of the most creative schemes I saw all year. They held the niners to 7 points in the first half until turnovers did them in. Glenn is a very talented up and comer.
  • Titan DC Shane Bowen- was just hired by the giants unfortunately as their DC. He worked under Mike Vrabel the last six years and he’s only 37. Former LB in college, he’s very aggressive and creative. We should have been more aggressive to interview him.
  • 49ers DB Coach Daniel Bullocks- he’s worked under niners DC Steve Wilks for years and would bring a physical style similar to what Wilks and the niners use which is very LB centric which could be useful in how to deploy Micah Parsons in multiple ways.
  • Packers LB coach Kirk Olivadotti- an excellent developer of talent, especially at LB where the Cowboys need some major help. Has coached with several NFL teams and has a good set of skills for the modern game. I would at least kick the tires.
There are plenty of other names but the guys above are the kind of coaches I would be looking for. It won’t happen because Jerry thinks like a fan and a marketing guru who prefers “names” he can sell.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my opinion, none of the names for our next DC I’ve seen floating around the last few days are what we need. There’s a reason “names” like Mike Zimmer, Rex Ryan, Ron Rivera and possibly Wink Martindale are guys whose careers are mostly in the rear view mirror. There’s a reason most of these guys are readily available. No one else is rushing to hire them.

So why are we? Because our GM likes “a name”. He thinks like a fan. “Who are the big names out there we could hire?” That’s how fans think. Nothing wrong with that if you’re a fan. It’s a disaster if you’re the general manager. When your GM is also your primary marketing salesman, you get this kind of thinking. Instead of finding a great young defensive mind, you are instead looking for someone to sell to the fan base.

So what kind of DC should we be looking for? Here are the characteristics and talents I believe we should be hunting:
  • A talented coach who understands modern offenses and the fundamentals in how to stop them.
  • A defensive mind who understands “complimentary football”. If our offense is struggling or your team finds itself two scores behind, your defense better be able to stop the run and get off the field.
  • A coach who is flexible and not completely married to one style or approach to defense. The modern game requires being able to be flexible in approach. If you are glued to one philosophy or style (like having safeties as LBs, lol) you may be in trouble if that isn’t working.
Ok, so who are some examples of young coaches who could fit this bill?
  • One guy I really like (sadly he’s not available) is lions DC Aaron Glenn. He’s done wonders in Detroit with a very under-manned defensive talent base. He was aggressive, creative and flexible. The lions ran some of the most creative schemes I saw all year. They held the niners to 7 points in the first half until turnovers did them in. Glenn is a very talented up and comer.
  • Titan DC Shane Bowen- was just hired by the giants unfortunately as their DC. He worked under Mike Vrabel the last six years and he’s only 37. Former LB in college, he’s very aggressive and creative. We should have been more aggressive to interview him.
  • 49ers DB Coach Daniel Bullocks- he’s worked under niners DC Steve Wilks for years and would bring a physical style similar to what Wilks and the niners use which is very LB centric which could be useful in how to deploy Micah Parsons in multiple ways.
  • Packers LB coach Kirk Olivadotti- an excellent developer of talent, especially at LB where the Cowboys need some major help. Has coached with several NFL teams and has a good set of skills for the modern game. I would at least kick the tires.
There are plenty of other names but the guys above are the kind of coaches I would be looking for. It won’t happen because Jerry thinks like a fan and a marketing guru who prefers “names” he can sell.
I would only add Jones prefers hiring candidates he feels comfortable enough to work with. His personal preference eliminates certain prospects from his job search before it even begins.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would also interview Al Harris and Adam Durode on our current staff. They both are respected by the players and have a fresh approach. Neither will be the next DC here of course because they don’t have that “name sizzle” our GM is looking for. Bu IMO they should at least be considered.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is there an official list of coaches that have actually interviewed so far. Internal and external.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is there an official list of coaches that have actually interviewed so far. Internal and external.
Good question. And like you said earlier Jazz, I wish this org would interview some of these young defensive coaches for the niners and chiefs.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Aaron Glenn already a defensive coordinator job so putting him on this list really is a moot point entirely. I like him too, but if he just blew a title game like Detroit did many here would be calling for his head and the commanders just passed on him for Dan Quinn whom we had. Shane Bowen seems intriguing sure and so do the others mentioned but this entire post is not based in reality. The argument you’re making isn’t why aren’t we looking for young up starts it should be why didn’t we fire McCarthy?

Or for that matter extend McCarthy, either way, the point is not one of these guys up and coming and hoping to be the next big thing is coming here for a lame duck coach whose mandated to go on a deep playoff run- guys like bullock and olivadotti. The cowboys are limited in who they can bring in or who will interview bc of the McCarthy thing.

Im not sure why we keep going over this, I agree some young new names would be exciting but it was never ever an option once McCarthy hit lame duck status.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Good OP and I agree. It would be great to have a young, energetic, creative DC that understands the modern game and can evolve and adapt. Some of the names being considered are cringe-worthy. I'll be surprised if the defense is much improved over last season.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aaron Glenn already a defensive coordinator job so putting him on this list really is a moot point entirely. I like him too, but if he just blew a title game like Detroit did many here would be calling for his head and the commanders just passed on him for Dan Quinn whom we had. Shane Bowen seems intriguing sure and so do the others mentioned but this entire post is not based in reality. The argument you’re making isn’t why aren’t we looking for young up starts it should be why didn’t we fire McCarthy?

Or for that matter extend McCarthy, either way, the point is not one of these guys up and coming and hoping to be the next big thing is coming here for a lame duck coach whose mandated to go on a deep playoff run- guys like bullock and olivadotti. The cowboys are limited in who they can bring in or who will interview bc of the McCarthy thing.

Im not sure why we keep going over this, I agree some young new names would be exciting but it was never ever an option once McCarthy hit lame duck status.
Well it’s certainly not an option if we don’t interview anyone else. I agree with you it hurts that Big Mac is a lame duck. But what hurts more is having a GM who thinks more about how he can sell his team to the fan base rather than letting winning do the selling.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's interesting is that the most recent time Jerry went with a young and "presumably" up and coming coach, with a resume lacking adequate experience, was Kellen Moore as our OC.
Added some more context. It helps understand more why Jones went young and presumably up-and-coming.

Self-acknowledging football geniuses can be the worst gamblers. That said, the gamble was a coach, who would not be considered threatening within the employer/employee dynamic.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Well it’s certainly not an option if we don’t interview anyone else. I agree with you it hurts that Big Mac is a lame duck. But what hurts more is having a GM who thinks more about how he can sell his team to the fan base rather than letting winning do the selling.
it’s not an option because those guys won’t take the interview or if they do it’s a sham interview. They aren’t going to take what may be there one shot at a coordinator gig and tie it to McCarthy and a championship game or bust mandate and then get fired and lose their chance again for years or ever.

I’m not telling anyone how to fan at all and I agree with you a lot about Jerry but it’s going to be a long offseason if instead of focusing how the team can turn things around based on how things are run in actuality or what roster moves should /could be made or scheme changes a new coordinator should implement the focus is on how we wish Jerry was vs how he actually does things.

This is how things will be run for our team. It’s sucks but it’s reality. 3 months ago you were hopeful that the team had a chance, while they certainly were not as close as you or me or many thought - I’m not sure their as far now as sometimes we make them seem to be. The truth is probably in the middle somewhere.

Regardless, I tend to focus on how the team can improve given the handicap and struggles ownership provides instead of thinking about scenarios that just aren’t gonna happen. Doesn’t make me a better fan or smarter or anything but these names are all pipe dreams. You should be questioning why McCarthy is here still rather than why aren’t these guys being interviewed

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
What's interesting is that the most recent time Jerry went with a young and "presumably" up and coming coach was Kellen Moore as our OC.
And during Moore's tenure as offensive coordinator in Dallas, Dallas averaged 27.7 points per game, second in the entire NFL and only surpassed by the Chiefs.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Jerry knows he doesn't have a lot of time on this earth so he's trying to bring in retreads thinking that is the answer and he'll get his last Superbowl before his number is up. The problem is, that's so freakin short-sighted that it's more detrimental to the organization than blowing it up and going with younger coaches that haven't yet proved themselves.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it’s not an option because those guys won’t take the interview or if they do it’s a sham interview. They aren’t going to take what may be there one shot at a coordinator gig and tie it to McCarthy and a championship game or bust mandate and then get fired and lose their chance again for years or ever.

I’m not telling anyone how to fan at all and I agree with you a lot about Jerry but it’s going to be a long offseason if instead of focusing how the team can turn things around based on how things are run in actuality or what roster moves should /could be made or scheme changes a new coordinator should implement the focus is on how we wish Jerry was vs how he actually does things.

This is how things will be run for our team. It’s sucks but it’s reality. 3 months ago you were hopeful that the team had a chance, while they certainly were not as close as you or me or many thought - I’m not sure there as far as sometimes we make them seem to be. The truth is probably in the middle somewhere.

Regardless, I tend to focus on how the team can improve given the handicap and struggles ownership provides.
Good post. I have accepted the reality of our situation. I just like to point out (perhaps for my own sanity) that our GM prefers selling his team to his fan base rather than building the best coaching staff and talent base we can find and let the playoff wins do the selling.Thats our reality too.

Despite all our obvious problems, this team can get better. We have a good scouting department and usually draft pretty well. That’s some hope.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I would only add Jones prefers hiring candidates he feels comfortable enough to work with. His personal preference eliminates certain prospects from his job search before it even begins.
So for about the 7th time and about 53 posts about who's gonna be our coordinator look around the NFL look around the NFC E and try to tell me what's being done in our own division somehow is going outside their comfort zone is these very standard GM's hired retransform our team or others if they move the needle for you I don't understand why this is a Jerry thing all the time 75% of all the coaching hires are retread they're moving from one team to another from either a head coaching position or back to coordinator and then the circle just continues...

There are very few of these young names that are move dot they're in the 25% class and show me the small percentage of them that actually will make a big impact on the team they're with for the first time...

I mean I know people love to rip Jerry Jones they want to mock him they want to say that he just is interested in money and marketing which by the way I'm almost guarantee you all 32 teams bought their teams initially as an investment or a way to have a tax break on there$20 billion nest eggs..

Every single one of them cared about making money... But when we look around the NFL 75% of those teams I'm hearing from the same coaching pool that's been around for very long time but I just say look around the NFC East the Eagles N the commanders bad dudes that we fired or let go or been fired from other teams and they just end up back in the NFL....

This has never been a Jerry thing this is just how the NFL set up and very few teams are looking on that young list some of their own teams did not hire them in that capacity I gotta look at those names and some of those teams hire new defensive coordinators it did not elevate those guys....

So like Bob stated in his first paragraph in the first line these names that are probably going to be hired the old school old guard is best for this team short term meaning this one year outside of that maybe that list one of those new young up and comers or high risk young mines will be brought in with the new regime and the new coaching staff is brought in for 2025.../

but when you have a team that is already playoff caliber at least they're contenders in some fashion like the Eagles and Cowboys they're both doing the same thing... I mean Fangio Kellen Moore and what the Cowboys are looking at in Rivera or Zimmer or Ryan or someone in that capacity it's the same thing I don't see the difference.. And I thought Howie Roseman was this genius this great independent GM because he's the title of GM and he's not a yes man and yet he does the same thing... I mean last year he struck out replacing his original coordinators and now he reaches into what the same coaching pool no we didn't and you're out names that are not better in my opinion than what we're looking at so why do we keep mocking Jones if as if he does something different than most ohh the NFL owners....???​

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry knows he doesn't have a lot of time on this earth so he's trying to bring in retreads thinking that is the answer and he'll get his last Superbowl before his number is up. The problem is, that's so freakin short-sighted that it's more detrimental to the organization than blowing it up and going with younger coaches that haven't yet proved themselves.
Great point! The best coach Jerry ever hired was Jimmy Johnson - a college coach that was clearly a risk but proved to be the real deal. Jerry’s greatest success with this team came when hired talent ahead of a “big name”. Apparently he can’t or won’t see that.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So how does that explain when 75% of the other teams are hiring retreads as well including within our own division?? 75% of the coaches in the same pool that are being bounced around the league has been doing so for a very long time it's pretty much the norm in the NFL it's very rare for these young guys that have never had those positions before be elevated and then show me the stats on that where they make a big impact right away? It's rare so you keep saying this is because garry's old and set in his ways and he might die so he's doing retreads what so is the rest of the league... Like you said 25% might take a shot and elevate somebody from within that was maybe a quarterbacks coach and make them the OC or someone that was a linebackers coach to make him a defensive coordinator but most of the time these same names come up in every interview....