CFZ The kind of defensive coordinator we should be looking for

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I must of missed something here :huh: He's playing in an NBA game but didn't play or show up in our playoff game:huh:

vlad

Reaction score
In my opinion, none of the names for our next DC I’ve seen floating around the last few days are what we need. There’s a reason “names” like Mike Zimmer, Rex Ryan, Ron Rivera and possibly Wink Martindale are guys whose careers are mostly in the rear view mirror. There’s a reason most of these guys are readily available. No one else is rushing to hire them.

So why are we? Because our GM likes “a name”. He thinks like a fan. “Who are the big names out there we could hire?” That’s how fans think. Nothing wrong with that if you’re a fan. It’s a disaster if you’re the general manager. When your GM is also your primary marketing salesman, you get this kind of thinking. Instead of finding a great young defensive mind, you are instead looking for someone to sell to the fan base.

So what kind of DC should we be looking for? Here are the characteristics and talents I believe we should be hunting:
  • A talented coach who understands modern offenses and the fundamentals in how to stop them.
  • A defensive mind who understands “complimentary football”. If our offense is struggling or your team finds itself two scores behind, your defense better be able to stop the run and get off the field.
  • A coach who is flexible and not completely married to one style or approach to defense. The modern game requires being able to be flexible in approach. If you are glued to one philosophy or style (like having safeties as LBs, lol) you may be in trouble if that isn’t working.
Ok, so who are some examples of young coaches who could fit this bill?
  • One guy I really like (sadly he’s not available) is lions DC Aaron Glenn. He’s done wonders in Detroit with a very under-manned defensive talent base. He was aggressive, creative and flexible. The lions ran some of the most creative schemes I saw all year. They held the niners to 7 points in the first half until turnovers did them in. Glenn is a very talented up and comer.
  • Titan DC Shane Bowen- was just hired by the giants unfortunately as their DC. He worked under Mike Vrabel the last six years and he’s only 37. Former LB in college, he’s very aggressive and creative. We should have been more aggressive to interview him.
  • 49ers DB Coach Daniel Bullocks- he’s worked under niners DC Steve Wilks for years and would bring a physical style similar to what Wilks and the niners use which is very LB centric which could be useful in how to deploy Micah Parsons in multiple ways.
  • Packers LB coach Kirk Olivadotti- an excellent developer of talent, especially at LB where the Cowboys need some major help. Has coached with several NFL teams and has a good set of skills for the modern game. I would at least kick the tires.
There are plenty of other names but the guys above are the kind of coaches I would be looking for. It won’t happen because Jerry thinks like a fan and a marketing guru who prefers “names” he can sell.
Sadly this may be more thoughtful than anything Stephen is doing.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Big difference between young and green. Garrett and Moore were green....
Exactly. Sean McVay was already vastly more experience than Jason Garrett when he became head coach of the Rams, and he was the youngest coach in the league.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my opinion, none of the names for our next DC I’ve seen floating around the last few days are what we need. There’s a reason “names” like Mike Zimmer, Rex Ryan, Ron Rivera and possibly Wink Martindale are guys whose careers are mostly in the rear view mirror. There’s a reason most of these guys are readily available. No one else is rushing to hire them.

So why are we? Because our GM likes “a name”. He thinks like a fan. “Who are the big names out there we could hire?” That’s how fans think. Nothing wrong with that if you’re a fan. It’s a disaster if you’re the general manager. When your GM is also your primary marketing salesman, you get this kind of thinking. Instead of finding a great young defensive mind, you are instead looking for someone to sell to the fan base.

So what kind of DC should we be looking for? Here are the characteristics and talents I believe we should be hunting:
  • A talented coach who understands modern offenses and the fundamentals in how to stop them.
  • A defensive mind who understands “complimentary football”. If our offense is struggling or your team finds itself two scores behind, your defense better be able to stop the run and get off the field.
  • A coach who is flexible and not completely married to one style or approach to defense. The modern game requires being able to be flexible in approach. If you are glued to one philosophy or style (like having safeties as LBs, lol) you may be in trouble if that isn’t working.
  • One guy I really like (sadly he’s not available) is lions DC Aaron Glenn. He’s done wonders in Detroit with a very under-manned defensive talent base. He was aggressive, creative and flexible. The lions ran some of the most creative schemes I saw all year. They held the niners to 7 points in the first half until turnovers did them in. Glenn is a very talented up and comer.
  • Titan DC Shane Bowen- was just hired by the giants unfortunately as their DC. He worked under Mike Vrabel the last six years and he’s only 37. Former LB in college, he’s very aggressive and creative. We should have been more aggressive to interview him.
  • 49ers DB Coach Daniel Bullocks- he’s worked under niners DC Steve Wilks for years and would bring a physical style similar to what Wilks and the niners use which is very LB centric which could be useful in how to deploy Micah Parsons in multiple ways.
  • Packers LB coach Kirk Olivadotti- an excellent developer of talent, especially at LB where the Cowboys need some major help. Has coached with several NFL teams and has a good set of skills for the modern game. I would at least kick the tires.
There are plenty of other names but the guys above are the kind of coaches I would be looking for. It won’t happen because Jerry thinks like a fan and a marketing guru who prefers “names” he can sell.
Then you are saying it was time to fire Landry after 29 years...old coaches...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Martindale quit because the HC fired the LB coach...

Rex Ryan is known for a complex style defense. He is good if the existing players are smart.

Zimmer's son died in 2022. Father 2015 and wife 2009. I think he wanted to take time off.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

oh hell, it's not just Jones that likes the "name", we all do that.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then you are saying it was time to fire Landry after 29 years...old coaches...
It was time. I didn’t like how it was handled but Landry’s days were over. If we had stayed with Landry (and you know how much I respect him- he was GREAT) we would have never had Jimmy.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
While I agree with your premise in that the Jones’ absolutely always look backwards when hiring coaching personnel I don’t think you can get much else with the context of our current team. What talented young coach with a future would join a team whose entire coaching staff is likely to be fired if they don’t make a very deep playoff run this season? I am also not sold on Glenn and Bowen as their defenses have not been very good overall. Regardless, a retread seems logical for a head coach who may not be here the following year. If we do end up cleaning house next year then I fervently hope we look for a young innovator rather then a tired old name looking for one more paycheck for HC and coordinators as well.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

That's my biggest issue with Jerry.
He thinks like an amateur and not a professional.
He gets too tied up with issues that influence him that should not when hiring coaches.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
While I agree with your premise in that the Jones’ absolutely always look backwards when hiring coaching personnel I don’t think you can get much else with the context of our current team. What talented young coach with a future would join a team whose entire coaching staff is likely to be fired if they don’t make a very deep playoff run this season? I am also not sold on Glenn and Bowen as their defenses have not been very good overall. Regardless, a retread seems logical for a head coach who may not be here the following year. If we do end up cleaning house next year then I fervently hope we look for a young innovator rather then a tired old name looking for one more paycheck for HC and coordinators as well.
Jerry’s idea of a good young coach:
Jason Garrett.
Jerry does not have football savvy to hire coaches.
He made 2 great hires.
The rest have been disasters

nobody

Reaction score
What's interesting is that the most recent time Jerry went with a young and "presumably" up and coming coach was Kellen Moore as our OC.
The thing is, Kellen was promoted to OC after only one year as a QB coach. One year. He was promoted way too soon, as is Jerry's way. Did the same thing to Garrett. So others hiring up and comers isn't the same as Jerry hiring up and comers. They do it intelligently. He doesn't.

rambo2

Reaction score

You sure know a lot about football coaches.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Everybody, a round of applause for this wonderful post.
Oftentimes bobhaze posts and "I say, Blimey! a good post!" but fear that I take similar posts for granted. I shouldn't.

cristglo

Reaction score

The only problem is no one is going to want to come in on a one year deal so to speak Jerry wants a proven coach to hopefully hit the ground running I agree with everything your saying I almost feel like we’re throwing some darts and hoping one hits like it did with Quinn If it don’t work then we’re right back where we started now with a start over Again

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I like Zim
He was canned for being unable to make it happen as a HC, but was effective as a DC

CCBoy

Reaction score
It was time. I didn’t like how it was handled but Landry’s days were over. If we had stayed with Landry (and you know how much I respect him- he was GREAT) we would have never had Jimmy.
Jerry offered Tom Landry a position that would have assumed what today's GM position is equivalent to being. He refused the organizational transition.

CCBoy

Reaction score
That's my biggest issue with Jerry.
He thinks like an amateur and not a professional.
He gets too tied up with issues that influence him that should not when hiring coaches.
His positional view includes being competitive each and every year in reality. That is a final objective by Jerry's stated perspectives. That is a functional element and affects process to an extent when paid attention to as well. He is trying each and every season for on field respectable product. Affecting factors have changed over time, and not just from any inherent stupidity.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Martindale quit because the HC fired the LB coach...

Rex Ryan is known for a complex style defense. He is good if the existing players are smart.

Zimmer's son died in 2022. Father 2015 and wife 2009. I think he wanted to take time off.
I really like a projection running with Ron Rivera. He was a thump hardened linebacker with a really great Chicago Bears defense. He is definitely in the mold of a hard core defensive linebacker group and defensive line.

He would be coming into a defense that has a very strong and talented secondary. That is a very strong element in today's schemes and pass oriented elements.

Mix in an upgrade in the linebacker grouping with a return to thumpers there, and see where that leads Parsons and this defensive line.

I could sign on for three seasons of growth right in that very mix.