The Lane Johnson Controversy

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
It’s been all over Twitter this week. Lane Johnson false starting on nearly every play. Eagles fans claim it’s a loophole and the RT is allowed to adjust his right leg. But Johnson’s whole body moves before the snap quite often.

I hope all the negative attention benefits us this weekend!

Oh, btw, I reached the definite conclusion that Eagles fans are the worst cry-babies in all of NFL fandom. Definitely, the NFL’s worst fan base.
yes I noticed that during the SF game

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So the NFL hasnt called it a penalty since before Lane Johnson even entered the league back when Jason Peters perfected it... but it is actually a penalty. All of the other 31 teams complained to the NFL rules committee and they all got shot down because they NFL adores Lane Johnson and he has more power then the other 31 teams combined. Makes sense
They've called it on the Chiefs a couple times during the game.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
This article is complete BS. The rule is simple and explicit. This article does not include one quote from the people pointing out Johnson's false starts, nor does it include any of the many videos online showing Johnson leaving early and not getting called. The author doesn't even bother to get a quote or explanation from an NFL ref.

This isn't a complaint about questionable holds, or PI where the calls are largely subjective. This is a complaint about obvious false starts where there is no subjectivity. There is no grey area. Once the player is set, if he moves suddenly it is a false start. Johnon's leg kick is the start of his back peddle. He does it at least a few times every game and only if it is so obvious it can't be ignored to the refs call it, as was the case in the SF game. I don't know if this has effected the outcome of games or not, but as a football fan I would like to know why they do not call this penalty as the rule is written. And while we can speculate if other players do it, I have yet to see any video evidence of any NFL player doing it repeatedly and getting away with it.
He does it every single pass play for a decade now.