The Lane Johnson Controversy

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If the ref allows the semi-early leg move then Lawrence just needs to watch Lane's leg and move when that moves. You ask a ref before doing that, of course. But Lane would probably then just vary when he does it. Chess match.
Agreed with that. Move on movement by the RT. If the defender is flagged for offsides, there's good reason to complain about it. However, defenders are trained to watch the ball. But as much as our guys line up offsides, maybe we don't train them to do that here.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
If Johnson's excuse were valid then linemen would have already been doing this for decades. This is the first season this crap has been allowed, and everybody knows it. The only question is why. I think the league has ordered the refs to do everything in their power to help the Eagles succeed this year. Accuse me of the tin foil hat, but I know what I am seeing doesn't make any sense other than that the league is being dishonest.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
My post from the other thread:

Here is an explanation from Lane Johnson himself. He looks at what he sees from Kelce and leg kicks based on that so it does appear he's moving before the ball because he is, but he's not moving before Kelce starts the snap. If what Kelce does before the ball actually moves is considered part of the snap, similar to the pump of a long snapper before launching the ball between his legs, it's not a false start. I have to think many teams have brought it up and that Johnson has talked to officials himself so he doesn't get called. What's funny is no one talks about how Guards, including Martin, point forward before the snap while set to signal to the Center to snap the ball and that's not considered a false start. Obviously, officials allow that move to benefit the OL. Maybe it's similar with Johnson. Would love to hear a ref weigh in on his move.

Did he take a shot at Micah at the end for being from Harrisburg? lol

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm counting on a big effort from the Cowboys to overcome anything the Eagles might do to screw themselves into a loss. Lane Johnson will likely be on his best efforts to overcome whatever his problems with false starts have been in the past. Here's hoping for the Cowboys to put forth a winner's game that won't allow anything the opposition does to lose by their mistakes, but lose by soundly being beaten by the Cowboys. Yeah, baby!

Momanpr100

Reaction score
I feel I see Tyron Smith do the same leg kick, maybe someone on here can check on that.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
May be our coaches should talk to refree before the game and watch out for that and call it, if he is called once or twice, it will induce him to second guess and he will wait for the ball to snap before starting his kick .

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
My only problem with that is that it is not equal. Johnson actually is getting a jump on the ball being snapped, which helps him to get into position quicker than other linemen. If he's moving before the ball moves, it's a false start. If he's moving as the ball moves, it is not. From what I've seen, he is moving before the ball actually moves and should be flagged for it.
Yes. NFL Refs are biased. NFL fans are never biased. I think these calls should be left to the completely objective fans. That would be more fair.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Yes. NFL Refs are biased. NFL fans are never biased. I think these calls should be left to the completely objective fans. That would be more fair.

Eagles%2071%20Road%20King%20Corcoran.jpg

Speaking of bias…

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Nowhere did I accuse the refs of being biased.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
And don't forget in that same game, with the game on the line and in the redzone for the go-ahead score, they called Tyler Smith for beginning a millisecond before the ball was snapped.
I want the “there’s no way there’s any bias or favoritism” crowd to reread this.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Johnson and Kelce have been playing on the line together for about ten years? They just have the timing down. I can't think of any other center/tackle combo that have been together for that long over the past decade.
I guess you need to watch the video and see for yourself.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I feel I see Tyron Smith do the same leg kick, maybe someone on here can check on that.
No. Not he’s not allowed to move before the ball. If you imagine he wouldn’t be called for that then you’re new to watching Dallas play.

Welcome

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
LOL did you even watch the vids linked above your post? It is MOST DEFINITELY a false start on Johnson and the refs let him get away with it. I want to see Steele do it once and see if he gets away with. Betcha he doesn't.
God this topic is so old. Ok, ok, the refs and the commissioner conspired 2 decades ago to let Jason Peter and Lane Johnson who coincidentally are HOFers to be able to cheat. Every team complained but the NFL rules committee decided to stand up for these two just to screw the league.... or it's not a false start

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
If Johnson's excuse were valid then linemen would have already been doing this for decades. This is the first season this crap has been allowed, and everybody knows it. The only question is why. I think the league has ordered the refs to do everything in their power to help the Eagles succeed this year. Accuse me of the tin foil hat, but I know what I am seeing doesn't make any sense other than that the league is being dishonest.
What? Jason Peters started this decades ago and Lane Johnson has done it his entire career. That's just not true

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
God this topic is so old. Ok, ok, the refs and the commissioner conspired 2 decades ago to let Jason Peter and Lane Johnson who coincidentally are HOFers to be able to cheat. Every team complained but the NFL rules committee decided to stand up for these two just to screw the league.... or it's not a false start
Right. Just because there are frozen video (dozens) frames of him moving while the ball is completely still is meaningless.

Eyes are stupid and often overrated. Unlike NFL refs. They’re great!!!

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Right. Just because there are frozen video (dozens) frames of him moving while the ball is completely still is meaningless.

Eyes are stupid and often overrated. Unlike NFL refs. They’re great!!!
Well there you go. It's a big conspiracy

blueblood70

Reaction score
Is there an unusual number of offsides penalties called against Eagles’ opponents? The proof it simulates the start of a play would be defenses thinking the play has started. If it doesn’t draw the defense offsides it obviously does not simulate the start of a play.
Even though that's not really necessarily true what you're saying because if he moves he moves you're not even allowed to flinch you have to be set for a full second before the snap so he's allowed to bring his leg back but if he gets it reset before the defense comes off sides then you're right it's not simulating a snap because they're allowed to move but if they move and they don't get reset for a second before the snap it is definitely a false start regardless if the defense comes across or not but it's not a false start if he move's leg ,resets it and the defense doesn't come a second before the snap so maybe that's where the Gray area is coming in..

So what needs to happen is the coaches pregame and during the game need to get in the ear of the referees and also go tell their defensive lineman that every time he moves his leg back just to come across and if they're looking for it it is definitely gonna be on lane Johnson...

blueblood70

Reaction score
No. Not he’s not allowed to move before the ball. If you imagine he wouldn’t be called for that then you’re new to watching Dallas play.

Welcome
actually I think somewhere in the rules offensive lineman are allowed to move as long as they're reset before the snap of the football and it didn't draw the defense off sides so in that case we need to start jumping offsides and before so make sure the referees are looking for why they jumped off sides fact is he moves his leg and it causes us to be outsides and he wasn't reset before the snap of the football at least one second then yes it is definitely a penalty...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
If he had a star on his helmet this ridiculousness wouldn't be tolerated by the Zebras

he's still a great player but giving him this edge is nothing short of officiating malpractice
If Lurie ever sues the NFL and wins they will start calling it on Johnson. Jerry sealed his fate with the Zebras when he sued the NFL for 3 billion bucks back in 1995. Remember the league had sued him for 1 billion the week before regarding Jerry having stuck up all those sponsorships and naming rights deals outside of the NFL auspices. When Jerry counter-sued the NFL folded and obviously the whole league adopted Jerry's model. But the NFL's chief counsel was left with serious egg on his face.. That chief counsel was Roger Goodell. I don't think he has ever forgiven Jerry for that!!