The last game does not matter

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
And here's another example. 2017. Eagles pulled EVERYONE in the final game vs us. We beat them 6-0. Remember what happened then? If not, I'll tell you. Eagles won the super bowl.

Winning or losing a meaningless final game of the season means absolutely nothing.

That Eagles team was a Julio Jones end zone drop away from being eliminated on the final play in the opening round. Their offense struggled all day (won 15-10), before catching fire the next week.

Every year is different, as is every team. For example, The Cowboys have never won a SB without winning (at least) their final two games of the season.

kskboys

Reaction score
That Eagles team was a Julio Jones end zone drop away from being eliminated on the final play in the opening round. Their offense struggled all day (won 15-10), before catching fire the next week.

Every year is different, as is every team. For example, The Cowboys have never won a SB without winning (at least) their final two games of the season.
Of course, but every one of those teams was stacked, w/ the backups being almost as good as the starters. Did they pull people in the last game? Did they go all out? Did it matter if they won or lost?

One could easily conclude that those teams were so good, that the backups beat other teams in the last game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I know, but I'm not understanding the relevance. The Eagles pulled everyone and lost their last game. It did not affect momentum or heart or any of that blather. It simply didn't matter.

What you don’t seem to understand is Philly had a consistent team that year. They went 13-3. They won 9 games in a row that season. They won 5 of their last 6 games. They won three straight prior to their season finale. They played all backups in their last game because they were playing well and wanted to rest their starters. The Cowboys have been up and down the last half of this season winning against average teams with backup QB’s. They’ve only had one impressive win in the last 5 games. They just lost to a legitimate contender in an important game. The Cowboys aren’t playing near as good as Philly was in 2017 which is why they’re going to play to win tonight.

They’re trying to build some momentum. I won’t go as far as to say you’re comparing apples to oranges but Philly was playing much better than we are plus they played their last three regular season games with a backup QB who got extremely hot in the playoffs. You have to stop comparing the Cowboys situation with other teams. You need to focus on their history and they haven’t faired well limping into the playoffs.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The question isn't for us, it is for the coaching staff.

Do McC and his staff think this team is playoff ready? Judging by the continuing mistakes by too many players, including the QB, I would say they are not ready for a playoff run. The only thing consistent about them is their inconsistency. Are they playing well as a team? Well enough for playoff teams?

The best answer I have heard to this question, and it is equally difficult on both sides of it, was by Parcells when asked about resting his players in the last game. He looked, incredulously, at the reporter and just said "they're football players, they play football".

This team is not those 90's teams with depth and the ability to flip the switch to "Play".

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
And here's another example. 2017. Eagles pulled EVERYONE in the final game vs us. We beat them 6-0. Remember what happened then? If not, I'll tell you. Eagles won the super bowl.

Winning or losing a meaningless final game of the season means absolutely nothing. I think most want to win for personal numnums, so they make up some silly stuff to attempt to give their little feelings credence. Very silly.
Were any potential seeding spots up for grabs in that Philly game or was that already set?

bb721

Reaction score

Winning or losing a meaningless final game of the season means absolutely nothing. I think most want to win for personal numnums, so they make up some silly stuff to attempt to give their little feelings credence. Very silly.

We still have a slight chance to change our playoff seeding, so if only for that, yeah it matters

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What would the narrative be if they had lost in the wildcard round? Because of the SB win it's easy to go back and say all the negative things didn't matter that year and that's true but only because they did eventually win the SB. If we win the wildcard game then this eagles game won't matter, but if we lose the wildcard game you bet people will point to this game and others and say we should have done whatever it is we didn't do (rest or play starters).

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Sorry, still not getting your point. We are discussing pulling starters for the last meaningless game, you know that right?

You always have difficulty understanding a good point. The game isn’t that meaningless we could still improve our seeding. The Cowboys need momentum heading into the playoffs, they have none right now which is they plan on playing to win tonight with their starters. It’s really not that hard to understand why they feel they need to play well tonight.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Pulling starters is a luxury for good teams in rhythm. We are former, but not the latter. You really want to go into the playoffs being both

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Totally agree.

Wonder why our HC doesn’t agree intending on playing to win this game?

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
pull the starters out ,

after 15 weeks if this team isnt ready , they will never be .

khiladi

Reaction score
It’s big, because Gallup is out and Jarwin is back and this probably means a lot more 12 personnel coming back. It’s going to be key indicator as to the state of the RG going into the playoffs.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I swear ......... people never learn ......... we have been treating the last game of the season as not mattering every year we make it to the playoffs and flop every year in the playoffs.

People are so damn stupid..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The question isn't for us, it is for the coaching staff.

Do McC and his staff think this team is playoff ready? Judging by the continuing mistakes by too many players, including the QB, I would say they are not ready for a playoff run. The only thing consistent about them is their inconsistency. Are they playing well as a team? Well enough for playoff teams?

The best answer I have heard to this question, and it is equally difficult on both sides of it, was by Parcells when asked about resting his players in the last game. He looked, incredulously, at the reporter and just said "they're football players, they play football".

This team is not those 90's teams with depth and the ability to flip the switch to "Play".
Yea but this situation is a little different. There’s the protocol concerns. With the Egirls wide spread problems are we subjecting our available players to such?

And what will it tell us if we are more effective against their mostly bench players?

I think we win this game mostly by default on the Egirls. But is the risk of losing players for basically a meaningless game to protocols or injury worth the risk? IDK. It’s a worthy argument.

I’d think a week off to heal everyone hurting and a good week of practice would do us more good. But what do I know. Maybe another 56-14 win will be good for perception and our SB hype:)

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I swear ......... people never learn ......... we have been treating the last game of the season as not mattering every year we make it to the playoffs and flop every year in the playoffs.

You’re totally wrong! We haven’t treated the last game of the season like it was meaningless every year we make the playoffs. In the season finale in 2014 we went all out to beat Washington despite having our division all wrapped up. That was a totally meaningless game but we played to win with our starters and did. We wanted to have momentum entering the playoffs and it paid off, we beat Detroit in the wildcard round. We had the NFC East wrapped up heading into week 17 in 2018 but played to beat the Giants. We played our starters the entire game and beat NY 36-35. The momentum we gained paid off, we beat Seattle in the wildcard round. You might want to get the facts straight before posting.

kskboys

Reaction score

And we are not flopping due to treating the last game that way.

People are so damn stupid.