The last time the Cowboys hosted the 49ers in a playoff game

Vomit

Reaction score

How a lot has changed in that time. Almost stepping out of the Narnia wardrobe and returning 5 minutes later to see all that's changed including the venue. John Madden and Pat Summeral called the game. I was about 13 months old. The Cowboys play in a completely different city from this last one, as do San Francisco. The Triplets were here, and this was the last NFCC that Jimmy would coach as he'd be gone after the Super Bowl.

Man that was a team. Well-disciplined & skilled in all three phases.

Flamma

Reaction score
Just thought this was interesting. I also wouldn't be surprised if NFL Network runs a lot of our historical battles with the 49ers leading up to this one as it's an old playoff rivalry about to be renewed.

I don't know that they should do that. Anyone watching will immediately notice the difference in intensity. The one thing you'll notice, and it happens a lot in today's game, you'll not see any run or pass plays end with forward progress stop and the RB or WR is still standing up.

Flamma

Reaction score
if I recall correctly, the Boys fell behind 21-7 early in the first quarter but scored consistently a touchdown every quarter trying to comeback……not like being down 30-0 and then scoring two late touchdowns at the end of the 4th quarter………..slight difference

It was 21-0.

Flamma

Reaction score
Something I just noticed. After Aikman suffered the concussion, he didn't immediately come out. He handed the ball off on the next play.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
The pivotal play of the game was Kosar converting a 3rd-and-10 to Irvin in the second half. All the momentum had been going the Niners' way and Kosar was looking increasingly flustered in the face of aggressive Niners blitzes, getting repeatedly sacked and hit. If Irvin didn't make that catch it could have well led to the Niners taking full control of the game.

Instead Kosar converted, then hit Novacek smoothly on a deep crossing route, and a few plays later hit Harper for a 42-yard touchdown, icing the game.

JustChip

Reaction score
Ironically, I’ve always thought that the 1994, 38-28 playoff loss to the niners was Aikmans best passing game in his career. They fell so far behind that running the ball would take too long so Troy threw the daylights out da ball......but the defense couldn’t stop the niiners after the fast lead
I think we win that game if Switzer doesn’t go apoplectic and get a 15 yard penalty after the unbelievable no-call on Deion.

JustChip

Reaction score
Early 70s for SF.

They were terrible later in the decade.

But yes, Dallas, Minnesota and LA were the big NFC teams when I first started to watch.

Remembering my childhood and studying the team history before watching.....I'm surprised they didn't have more titles under Coach.

They came very close MANY times.
They were known as next year’s champs from 65 until they finally beat the Fish for the first SB win. They had a great rivalry for a few years with Cleveland in the late 60s.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't know that they should do that. Anyone watching will immediately notice the difference in intensity. The one thing you'll notice, and it happens a lot in today's game, you'll not see any run or pass plays end with forward progress stop and the RB or WR is still standing up.

True, and I don't expect it to be as fierce as then.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

How a lot has changed in that time. Almost stepping out of the Narnia wardrobe and returning 5 minutes later to see all that's changed including the venue. John Madden and Pat Summeral called the game. I was about 13 months old. The Cowboys play in a completely different city from this last one, as do San Francisco. The Triplets were here, and this was the last NFCC that Jimmy would coach as he'd be gone after the Super Bowl.

Enjoyed the game

CCBoy

Reaction score
The rivalry between San Francisco and Dallas was the reason that Dallas didn't go to the Super Bowl in '94...not Jimmy Johnson leaving and the Coaching change by Jerry.

CCBoy

Reaction score
When Jerry was searching and researching before purchasing the Cowboys, he intensely studied with the San Francisco organization on how to run a NFL Franchise. Then, just before purchase, he spent many hours listening to Oakland Raiders, Al Davis...who had major effects on the NFL back then.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn't that now known as 'garbage time stats'?
This guy lol just won't let it go, will he.....:omg:
Hey, bud when you have 2 Superbowl rings(prior to the game) you and garbage time have nothing in common!!!!!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
When Jerry was searching and researching before purchasing the Cowboys, he intensely studied with the San Francisco organization on how to run a NFL Franchise. Then, just before purchase, he spent many hours listening to Oakland Raiders, Al Davis...who had major effects on the NFL back then.

That does help explain the move to get Haley. Pity the salary cap spoiled it. It seems like such a fun rivalry we had with SFO, and I wonder where it would've gone from there.

DStar22

Reaction score
I remember That Superbowl (of course, I remember them all lol ). They started off losing and there was just a glimmer of doubt in the first half, but they came back in the second half strong and never looked back. They were the team to beat then. cries of Threepeat lol.

and then some weeks or months later, the announcement that Jimmy Johnson was leaving *sigh*... what could have been. course we still won another superbowl, but man I can't help but hink we could have had 4 or 5 of them.

but such is life . those 3 were great times in DC history :)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I remember That Superbowl (of course, I remember them all lol ). They started off losing and there was just a glimmer of doubt in the first half, but they came back in the second half strong and never looked back. They were the team to beat then. cries of Threepeat lol.

and then some weeks or months later, the announcement that Jimmy Johnson was leaving *sigh*... what could have been. course we still won another superbowl, but man I can't help but hink we could have had 4 or 5 of them.

but such is life . those 3 were great times in DC history :)

I was about 13 months old at the time of this game, having been born in late December 1992. I do wonder what might have been.