The list of holes going into 2021 is a lot shorter than 3 weeks ago

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The holes on this team are less now than they were 3 weeks ago because MM cut the deadwood and has the young bucks taking ownership for what happens from here on out. The coaching staff seems to be figuring things out with this group of guys. Fewer trick plays, more balanced attack on offense. Better situational awareness and aggressiveness on defense.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Totally disagree. The list of holes this team has are still many. One quick example- Safety. Donovan Wilson had an excellent game last night. We still don’t know if he’s a long term solution at S.

One good game does not change needs.

I'm halfway between you and the OP. I think Donovan Wilson has shown enough to be a very strong candidate to start next year but not enough that we don't worry about. He will improve quite a bit with A) experience and B) better players around him.

I see him as a solid but not above average starter like Barry Church but with the ability to make plays. Put a top ten pick at CB like Surtain next to Diggs in the secondary with a FA or #2 pick at the other safety spot and he will be fine IMO.

In a perfect world we would sign a veteran safety in FA (there will be plenty available) and also pick a safety high in the draft, with the best two of three starting.

Kaiser

Reaction score
If you cannot live with that fact, then maybe you should look for another team to support. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be rude or mean. There are a LOT of things that can and will change for the Dallas Cowboys in the future, but complaining about the ONE THING that will not is not healthy or helpful.

I've said Jerry is like an STD, fun at the start but now you just have to manage it. But Jerry hasn't been active in anything but press conferences for years. The job of ownership is to hire the right guys and McClay and McCarthy are both much better than average at their positions. Our drafting has been way above average for the last 8 years and this seasons free agent class was abnormally bad, but the talent has steadily improved on this team.

Unless you think Jerry caused the pandemic or the rash of injuries, its not the thing to complain about.

Plankton

Reaction score
7141589-1.jpg

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Assuming Dak and the OL all come back healthy next year, the list of huge holes on this team is a lot shorter than we previously thought.

I really only see 3 MUST fills

1) CB opposite Diggs. - Brown can be in nickel and be servicable.

2) X Woods - Wilson has brought value to the opposite safety spot so we only need to fill one

3) Jaylons role - He’s not going to be cut and there’s probably a way to make him have a decent role like using him as a human missile on passing downs. But it would be nice to have someone equal to LVE playing next to him.

So while yes it would be nice to have a top 10 pick, seeing players on the roster develop is better than being in a spot to take rookies that will need time to develop also.

:rolleyes:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Woods and Gallimore have been solid. They aren’t massive holes. They’re not pro bowlers but Gallimore is a rookie and not many 1T are going to make more splash plays than Woods.

Solid! Now that's a word I have been looking for all day for this , ahem, team.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When’s the last time a teams punter held them back from being contenders?

Again there’s a difference between needs an upgrade and HUGE HOLE.
Lol. Don’t disagree about the P. But I do believe this roster is worse off than most here think, We fans want them to win so bad and look good doing it, sometimes our hopes are greater than our football judgement. There are at least 4-5 needs on D and I think LT is a real need on offense. I love Ty Smith, but if he’s back next year he’s not going to be as goos as he was in the past.

conner01

Reaction score
Fewer needs? I don’t see that.

We need another DT, a safety, a couple CBs since Brown and Diggs are the only guys signed. We also need another LB. after that, I’d say 1 OL. The only positions I feel better about are C and TE.

Unless we can resign Aldon Smith, we will also need another DE.
Same list as last month

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I have a hard time finding more than three positions that aren't holes
QB, TE, WR, RB for starters. Shall we go on? Realizing not everyone can be rated a 99 in Madden would provide some perspective.

Darryl Worley was a hole at CB. That’s the level of bad we’re talking about. That’s not the level of bad on the majority of this team.

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
QB, TE, WR, RB for starters. Shall we go on? Realizing not everyone can be rated a 99 in Madden would provide some perspective.

Darryl Worley was a hole at CB. That’s the level of bad we’re talking about. That’s not the level of bad on the majority of this team.

Okay, four. Every other position is a hole. This is not a good team. These are not good players.

You also don't have a starting QB under contract for 2021, so it's still a hole.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Okay, four. Every other position is a hole. This is not a good team. These are not good players.

You also don't have a starting QB under contract for 2021, so it's still a hole.
OL isn’t a hole. Even if they had to play next year with the line they rolled out vs the Vikings that would be league average.

DEs are above average. DTs are average and getting better as Gallimore develops.

Jaylon - yes big hole
X Woods - yes big hole
Whoever is opposite Diggs - yes big hole.

Until they decide to flip the organization upside down and pull a 180 to say they’re not even franchising Dak next year he’s pencilled in at QB

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Assuming Dak and the OL all come back healthy next year, the list of huge holes on this team is a lot shorter than we previously thought.

I really only see 3 MUST fills

1) CB opposite Diggs. - Brown can be in nickel and be servicable.

2) X Woods - Wilson has brought value to the opposite safety spot so we only need to fill one

3) Jaylons role - He’s not going to be cut and there’s probably a way to make him have a decent role like using him as a human missile on passing downs. But it would be nice to have someone equal to LVE playing next to him.

So while yes it would be nice to have a top 10 pick, seeing players on the roster develop is better than being in a spot to take rookies that will need time to develop also.

Lmao. Typical Dallas fans. We have one good game in how many weeks and now we are ready to roll for next year!! Good lord. Calm down. Until they can put this together for weeks on end, then maybe we have something. You can't show up to play one out of every 4 games and be consistent.

This was the same thing after last year's Rams beatdown. Sandwiched in between a bunch of really bad football. So many thought we turned the corner and are now ready to make some noise!

This team still has many giant holes to look at on the defense.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Totally disagree. The list of holes this team has are still many. One quick example- Safety. Donovan Wilson had an excellent game last night. We still don’t know if he’s a long term solution at S.

One good game does not change needs.

Why do fans do this to themselves every single season? Dalton finally has a good game. Now it's "see, we don't need Dak!!!!". Zeke finally has a good game "see, all you haters were wrong!!!". Remember when Jaylon had a good game against the Giants earlier. Now he's our future. Do these people not realize it is a 16 game season and this was our first win in over a month? Tap the brakes and hard. We are still a long ways away from being a good team. Wilson has some good plays and now he's our great future. This happens every single season. And then they are completely let down. Remember, we beat down the Rams last year and the same things were said.

Fredbeard

Reaction score
The cowboys continuing to ignore defensive tackle because they have antwan woods would be asinine. There are plenty of good one techs prospects that should be available in the middle and later rounds of the up coming draft.