The Loss vs. Rams just hangs out there...

Novacek84

Reaction score
With 4 games left and very little room for error I just get the feeling that the loss to the Rams is the thing that is going to keep us out of the playoffs. It's like the missed extra point early in a game that just hangs there and eventually comes back to haunt you. I am still annoyed by that game. The Rams are awful and they kicked our rear ends up and down the field. If we miss the playoffs that's the game I'll point to as the downfall.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
However, if we get to the Super Bowl, you'll have to remember that the 92-92 Cowboys also loss to a Rams team they should have beaten.

I guess it's all in how you look at it.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
IMO, the Rams game doesn't bother me as much as the Cards game. We had it right there, had the ball to start overtime and lost (for the first time ever) on a blocked punt recovered for a TD. The Rams game was the first one after Romo was hurt and it was St. Louis' SuperBowl... I just kinda chalk that one up, at least there are some excuses to be made for that one, as in key personnel being out... ALOT of key personell out. Not so in Arizona.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
AmericasTeam31;2455107 said:
IMO, the Rams game doesn't bother me as much as the Cards game. We had it right there, had the ball to start overtime and lost (for the first time ever) on a blocked punt recovered for a TD. The Rams game was the first one after Romo was hurt and it was St. Louis' SuperBowl... I just kinda chalk that one up, at least there are some excuses to be made for that one, as in key personnel being out... ALOT of key personell out. Not so in Arizona.

I agree. The Rams are obviously the worse team that we shouldn't have lost to, but we lost by about 20 points, so it's not like a play or two made the difference.

The AZ game, however, was one we did nothing for most of the first half and then score right before the half and then got another chance after the fumbled kickoff only to squander that opportunity. Also giving up that long 3rd down conversion on the tipped pass that ended up keeping AZ's drive alive and eventually led to a score was a big turning point. That game is one we should've had and is the one I peg as the "one that got away".

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Teams lose to teams inferior then them. Simple as that. You can't take away the Rams loss. Giants lost to the Browns. Deadskins lost to the Rams. It happens. But I agree with those above. That Cardinals game is the killer. Everything pointed to a win when we closed out the 4th quarter. I was for sure we were gonna get a Nick Folk field goal for the win.

I don't believe in taking this game away or that game away. You learn from losses. Had we won that Rams game who's to say we are 8-4 right now? We could be 6-6.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
The AZ game is the most costly when you consider we lost Romo and McBriar. The team basically imploded for a few weeks before rebounding to what we hope is a run in the playoffs.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I think the real issue is that in the NFL every game counts, every game is a "must win" and coaches/players need to approach it that way. I think too often we go into a game thinking it is a gimme and end up losing to a team we should have crushed.

The Rams have had only a couple games this year where they weren't completely blown out, and both their wins were over NFC East teams who should have obliterated them.

We took them lightly and played very poorly, particularly on defense. Having Brad Johnson at QB meant that our offense couldn't compensate for a poor defensive showing and we lost badly to a team we should have annihilated.

It reminds me of 1984 when we were 7-4 and doing OK when we went to Buffalo to face an 0-11 Bills team. We lost that game 14-3 and it kept us out of the playoffs for the first time since 1974. Bills RB Greg Bell ran wild on our defense for 206 yards. Danny White had been hurt a couple of weeks earlier and Gary Hogeboom was the QB that week. He was unable to pull out a win when our defense struggled because he sucked so badly (sound familiar?).

The Cards loss was a killer as well as it was a game we should have won. A couple of bad breaks (including Romo's pinkie) and we lost it.

Losing close games to the Commanders has been a habit of ours for a number of years now but it still hurts.

With only 16 games we can't afford to lose any to inferior teams.

sacase

Reaction score
The game is history get over it.

I look at it like this. Yeah we have a hard schedule in our remaining 4 games, but if we don't win those games we have no business being in the playoffs anyways, much less the superbowl. So these games will either prepare us for the superbow or get us ready for next season.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
...and Brian Stewart would still be calling plays on defense, and we would be poised for annual December "el foldo".

I like this scenario better. Each game is a playoff game from this point forward. There are no creampuffs on the schedule, and this team must prove how hungry they are.

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2455377 said:
...and Brian Stewart would still be calling plays on defense, and we would be poised for annual December "el foldo".

I like this scenario better. Each game is a playoff game from this point forward. There are no creampuffs on the schedule, and this team must prove how hungry they are.

I agree. In order for this team to get to the super bowl, they have to be ready come playoff time. The only way to make the playoffs is to win in December.

So if the Cowboys make the playoffs this year, they will be ready for a super bowl run.

Reaction score
I said the samething yesterday... That loss more than any other looks to be haunting Dallas right now.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
gee this was an original thread, I haven't read about how the Ram loss will kill us for oh five minutes

Don Corleone

Reaction score
I think winning the Rams game would be haunting us in a negative way also.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
sacase;2455275 said:
The game is history get over it.

I look at it like this. Yeah we have a hard schedule in our remaining 4 games, but if we don't win those games we have no business being in the playoffs anyways, much less the superbowl. So these games will either prepare us for the superbow or get us ready for next season.

Exactly. We should not be afraid to face any team if we want to win a Super Bowl.