Twitter: The Manster, Randy White, calls out all Garrett critics

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
8 years , 2 playoff berths.

HEAD COACH DUTIES

Postgame analysis
It’s a coach’s job to hit the game tape almost immediately after the game is over. Even while on airplanes taking the team back from away games, an NFL head coach is trying to figure out what worked and what didn’t.
And most importantly how to fix what didn’t work.
By Monday morning, he’s got his ideas; so does his staff. Gathering the staff's opinions, weighing them and applying them are a big part of his job as well.

Game planning
Implementing whatever he (and his staff) learned from the preceding game is only part of getting ready for the next week.
The coach will also look at the last game or two of the team's upcoming opponent.
It's his job to use all of that information. He must work with his assistant coaches, and both his offensive and defensive coordinator to come up with a way to beat the next team.
Again, some coaches will listen more to their subordinates, while others will do most of the heavy lifting themselves.
This is an ongoing process for teams. Yes, they have a day to install a game plan (usually Wednesday or Thursday), but ultimately they'll tweak it right up until game time based on player injuries, how their team is executing and even things like weather.

Practice
All the while, the head coach is making sure things get done on the practice field.
Some coaches might run specific positions; some may run the entire offense or defense. Often though, a coach will try to take a wider view so he can see what his team is and isn't doing well.
Managing the practice routine gives him a chance to see that the adjustments the team needs to make get done correctly.

Game Management
When the day of the game comes, a head coach is still tweaking his game plan.
During the game, his job is to continue making adjustments based on the success, or failure, of the plan he an his staff have put together during the week.
He needs to keep that "bird's eye view" of the action in the sense that he needs to know what is happening with every aspect of his team.
How is the quarterback holding up after that big hit in the first quarter? Is his middle linebacker handling that hamstring strain? Why is the star wide receiver dropping balls? How can he replace the running back who just got carted off the field?
All of these these things and much more are under his purview. All of the information that he gathers goes into adjusting the game plan he worked on all week so that it works in the second half.
Most of the major decisions come down to the head coach as well.
Sure, the offensive coordinator might call the plays, but the head coach is the one who pushes for that big fourth down play or fake field goal attempt.
It's the head coach who will be facing the press corps after the game to talk about every decision he's made.
He also needs to be sure about how his players are holding up physically.
Decisions like Washington head coach Mike Shanahan allowing Robert Griffin III to continue playing on a clearly hurt leg are one's that head coaches constantly have to make. We can argue whether he was right or wrong to do so, but the bottom line is that it's the head coach's call.
Not the coordinator, not even Griffin. That falls on the head coach—he carries the weight of that decision regardless of what the aftermath looks like.

He has to be involved in the process. It's his job to to make that final call in conjunction with the general manager.
Some owners and general managers will do whatever they want, of course, but that's a poor way to run a team. Any coach whose owner is imposing his will on a team too much is being set up to fail.
And any general manager who cannot or will not work with a coach to get the guys he needs is doing his job poorly as well.

Schemes and formations
While the offensive and defensive coordinators are ultimately in charge of designing and implementing schemes, the head coach is the one who is ultimately providing the larger framework that they are working in.
A defensive coordinator who loves to run a base 3-4 isn't going to be brought in by a coach who believes a 4-3 is the best way to go. An offensive coordinator who loves the ground and pound isn't getting hired by a coach who wants to use the spread or read-option.
Some coaches have a trademark "way" of doing things, and some coaches are flexible in their approach.
But their name is on the stationery, and they're the guys who decide the direction team is going to go in. It's the coordinator's job to implement that direction.

Lead
A lot of things can be put under this umbrella. Leading the team includes being a dedicated professional in meetings, praising or punishing a player and making sure the team holds together when things get rough during a game.
The head coach needs to teach his players how to act both on and off the field. This is why we sometimes talk about teams taking on the personalities of their coaches.
A coach who falls apart on the sideline isn't usually going to get his team to rally around him for a late comeback. A coach who lets his players walk all over him isn't going to get his team to win.
A head coach needs to lead on and off the field—in and out of the locker room.

It's his job.

That includes dealing with the media. There are right and wrong ways to deal with the media, and how the team does it can be influenced by how their coach does it.
There are lots of things that differ from team to team and coach to coach; variations on the theme, if you will.
However, the list above hits on the major things required of an NFL head coach.

Of course, the biggest and most important job of an NFL is simple: to win football games.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Did Jimmy do a good job at game management it's also what you perceive to be good game management I've seen good make good game management call especially in 2016 is a fact that all coaches make game management gaffes even the great ones

Try to breathe

Garrett is a disaster at game management. The one thing I'll give him credit for is going for it on 4th and short as a matter of course these days.

Except with the game on the line against Houston.

The thing about game management is that it's all cerebral. You don't really get a lot of points when you manage not to be a moron. But you're held accountable when you are a moron. At least by fans. Obviously not by Jerry.

Dre11

Reaction score
Garrett is not a bad NFL coach. He’s not a great one either. Whatever anyone thinks of Garrett, if this season doesn’t result in a meaningful playoff run then it’s time to get a new voice in there. Not just for the sake of the players but for the fans as well.
I can ride with that he somewhere in the middle of NFL coaches

Dre11

Reaction score
Try to breathe

Garrett is a disaster at game management. The one thing I'll give him credit for is going for it on 4th and short as a matter of course these days.

Except with the game on the line against Houston.

The thing about game management is that it's all cerebral. You don't really get a lot of points when you manage not to be a moron. But you're held accountable when you are a moron. At least by fans. Obviously not by Jerry.
That's BS game management is having a feel for the game if your team is struggling to make the easiest of please you're not going to be aggressive with that team if your team as in the last game against the Washington Commanders we're having all the problems with penalties you're not going to continue to be aggressive knowing something bad is going to happen as it did on the field goal used to know what your team is capable of doing he went for a fourth and 1 and Prescott fumbled. Logos back too if it works it's great if it doesn't everybody's up in arms

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Garrett is terrible, heres why:

1.- Bad Postgame analysis, we always make the same mistakes, and never fix the problems.
2.- Game planning, we never see adjustments. Play the same vanilla crap over and over .
3.- Game Management, terrible clock management and poor fg calls .
4.- Schemes and formations, same playbook we've had for a decade.

Result: 2 playoff berths in 9 years.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That's BS game management is having a feel for the game if your team is struggling to make the easiest of please you're not going to be aggressive with that team if your team as in the last game against the Washington Commanders we're having all the problems with penalties you're not going to continue to be aggressive knowing something bad is going to happen as it did on the field goal used to know what your team is capable of doing he went for a fourth and 1 and Prescott fumbled. Logos back too if it works it's great if it doesn't everybody's up in arms

That's one awesome run on sentence.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett has cost us quite a few games. With poor in-game decisions and poor clock management.
I do not recall ever saying, wow, we won that game because Garrett made some great decisions. Oh I am sure one can find a game or two if they spin it the right way.
But there are many more losses that he caused. Or that the coaching staff did not make adjustments, or the opponents did make.

Try the players need to execute, and they get out played, as the other team gets paid as well. But many times this team comes out flat, looks to not be prepared. And it comes down to the last minute. Because the players screw up, so it is up to the coaches to put them in the right place to succeed.
Last weeks game was on Garrett. Because his choices did not put the team in a better situation to win.

This has happened quite often for 8 years. The record speaks for itself.
2014 and 2016, they team just flat out won, and many of those games they were not on a position for Garrett to screw up, not that I recall.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Sounds like a coach that is scared and does not trust his offense to do something good.
Bad coaching.

Dre11

Reaction score
Garrett is terrible, heres why:

1.- Bad Postgame analysis, we always make the same mistakes, and never fix the problems.
2.- Game planning, we never see adjustments. Play the same vanilla crap over and over .
3.- Game Management, terrible clock management and poor fg calls .
4.- Schemes and formations, same playbook we've had for a decade.

Result: 2 playoff berths in 9 years.
Let's see game management what you perceive
Scheming formations seem to work in 2016
Game planning of course that has to be carried out by the players so there isn't any game planned out of work without execution by the player who cares about postgame speech most of that is coach speak anyway

Also the same scheme for decade? I don't remember seeing Romo or Aikman running any rpos or read-option plays a decade ago

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Call it what you want it is what it is I'm driving I can't type it I'm speaking into my phone but you get the gist of it

I am glad I am not on the road with you then.
Driving and talk texting / posting. I won't even bluetooth my phone to my car.
Not good. :muttley:

People get Po'ed at me because I take too long to answer back from a text or a call. As I do not do that when driving. I rarely look at my phone, unless at a red light. Never while on the highway. But that is their problem.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's see game management what you perceive
Scheming formations seem to work in 2016
Game planning of course that has to be carried out by the players so there isn't any game planned out of work without execution by the player who cares about postgame speech most of that is coach speak anyway

What worked in 2016 is not working now. This team refuses to change or adjust.
I am not a Garrett fan, I want him and this staff gone.
I am not a total hater either, I just am tired of the same crap over and over.
losing out 6 of the 8 years.
And does nothing in the 2 playoff years. Only Marvin Lewis has had more time to fail than Garrett.

Dre11

Reaction score
Sounds like a coach that is scared and does not trust his offense to do something good.
Bad coaching.

It's not bad coaching it knows what your team is capable of is any type of coaching going to help Tyron Smith an all pro not to hold?

Dre11

Reaction score
I am not a Garrett fan, I want him and this staff gone.
I am not a total hater either, I just am tired of the same crap over and over.
losing out 6 of the 8 years.
And does nothing in the 2 playoff years. Only Marvin Lewis has had more time to fail than Garrett.

What's not working in 2016 is not working now is because our QB has problems throwing the ball our online is struggling to protect him at some point you are at the mercy of your players capability

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Call it what you want it is what it is I'm driving I can't type it I'm speaking into my phone but you get the gist of it

Ok, I'm glad you're not just ranting insanely.

Talking into the phone is fine.

Dre11

Reaction score
Ok, I'm glad you're not just ranting insanely.

Talking into the phone is fine.
The thing is I don't like conservative football either but when you sit back and really look at what you're working with sometimes it's the best approach if I know I have a team that can't get out of his own way I'm making my decisions according to the way they're playing we just have a jekyll-and-hyde team

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Probably one of the more profound statements on this board (and, no, I am not being a smart ***). I don't have the data (yet) on the first half of 2018 to compare with 2016, but it appears, at least to this observer, that very little has changed in the play-calling despite a re-vamped OL and re-loading the WR.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am glad I am not on the road with you then.
Driving and talk texting / posting. I won't even bluetooth my phone to my car.
Not good. :muttley:

People get Po'ed at me because I take too long to answer back from a text or a call. As I do not do that when driving. I rarely look at my phone, unless at a red light. Never while on the highway. But that is their problem.
Statistically, the incident rate (crash rate) involving driving while talking/texting is comparable to DUI. There is a reason why most countries in the world outlaw driving and talking/testing, even when using blue tooth