CFZ The mental toll of keeping Mike McCarthy

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That loss to Green Bay last January was not just a first round playoff loss, it was the most embarrassing playoff loss in the Cowboys 64 year history. When an NFL team loses a playoff game in an upset at home in crushing fashion, it leaves mental baggage for the players, and especially for the head coach who is now 1-3 in the playoffs and in the final year of his five year contract.

IMO the decision by Jerry Jones to keep Mike McCarthy after that terrible playoff loss last January was not only cheap (he didn’t want to have to pay off Big Mac’s last year), it also set up this year‘s team with the unnecessary mental baggage of a head coach who has already shown he is incapable of getting this team on a deep playoff run.

Coupled with the questionable decision to keep Big Mac, the FO made it worse by deciding they would do nothing this off-season to make this roster better than the teams of the last three seasons that could not get past the divisional round.

Look, I hope I’m wrong…I really do. But watching this team through four games, they not only look under-manned in several key positions, they look mentally tired. The evidence is already there that this team could be on the verge of quitting on this staff, which is already hanging over a cliff with the expiring contracts.

Here are the red flags that this team is suffering some mental malaise after last year’s playoff loss:
  • Haven't won a home game since last December, 2023 when we beat the lions 20-19.
  • In the team‘s last 3 home games, it averages giving up 40 points a game, and have looked unprepared at the start of each of those games.
  • The players probably feel frustrated at the lack of action by this FO in the off-season but can’t take it out on them.
  • With the defense losing its two best players for a stretch, it creates more strain on the mental toughness of this team. Can they overcome that?
  • If we lose at Pittsburgh, at 2-3 we would face a tough lions team at home again with the mental baggage of the last 3 home stinkers.
  • If we go to the bye week 2-4 with the tough schedule ahead, the “quit alert” bells will be ringing.
The other side of this coin of course is “winning cures everything”. If the team can start winning and show it’s capable of “doing hard things”, it can change this course.

But if I take off the fan glasses and just try to be objective, this does not look like a team that believes in itself nor its head coach.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's not that we hate MM or anything like that, I think it's time for a new face, new ideas, new goals, new accountability!! Maybe a younger mind, not a retread or someone that can be easily pushed over. Hopefully we one day find a coach that will stand up to Jerry and tell him to sit down, and to let me run the show!!

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You are right Bob. It does look like a lot of the players are just going through the motions and don't want to be here. Maybe things do turn around, but realistically, I don't see much improvement going forward. I hope I'm wrong.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
@Bobhaze was going to make a post (one of my many) about him coaching in his last year "lame duck." With all the things we're NOT seeing from Mike, do you think it has anything to do with this?? Would you want to give as much effort knowing that you might not be back, it would make sense to do well to be retained

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That loss to Green Bay last January was not just a first round playoff loss, it was the most embarrassing playoff loss in the Cowboys 64 year history. When an NFL team loses a playoff game in an upset at home in crushing fashion, it leaves mental baggage for the players, and especially for the head coach who is now 1-3 in the playoffs and in the final year of his five year contract.

IMO the decision by Jerry Jones to keep Mike McCarthy after that terrible playoff loss last January was not only cheap (he didn’t want to have to pay off Big Mac’s last year), it also set up this year‘s team with the unnecessary mental baggage of a head coach who has already shown he is incapable of getting this team on a deep playoff run.

Coupled with the questionable decision to keep Big Mac, the FO made it worse by deciding they would do nothing this off-season to make this roster better than the teams of the last three seasons that could not get past the divisional round.

Look, I hope I’m wrong…I really do. But watching this team through four games, they not only look under-manned in several key positions, they look mentally tired. The evidence is already there that this team could be on the verge of quitting on this staff, which is already hanging over a cliff with the expiring contracts.

Here are the red flags that this team is suffering some mental malaise after last year’s playoff loss:
  • Haven't won a home game since last December, 2023 when we beat the lions 20-19.
  • In the team‘s last 3 home games, it averages giving up 40 points a game, and have looked unprepared at the start of each of those games.
  • The players probably feel frustrated at the lack of action by this FO in the off-season but can’t take it out on them.
  • With the defense losing its two best players for a stretch, it creates more strain on the mental toughness of this team. Can they overcome that?
  • If we lose at Pittsburgh, at 2-3 we would face a tough lions team at home again with the mental baggage of the last 3 home stinkers.
  • If we go to the bye week 2-4 with the tough schedule ahead, the “quit alert” bells will be ringing.
The other side of this coin of course is “winning cures everything”. If the team can start winning and show it’s capable of “doing hard things”, it can change this course.

But if I take off the fan glasses and just try to be objective, this does not look like a team that believes in itself nor its head coach.
Don't forget the mental toll it takes on the fans too!! I'm mentally exhausted already!! LOL

foofighters

Reaction score
It's not that we hate MM or anything like that, I think it's time for a new face, new ideas, new goals, new accountability!! Maybe a younger mind, not a retread or someone that can be easily pushed over. Hopefully we one day find a coach that will stand up to Jerry and tell him to sit down, and to let me run the show!!
Who's the "we" stuff? You got a turd in your pocket?

I can speak for myself. I don't need you at all to me what I think/know. I actually watch more than Sport Center highlights.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@Bobhaze was going to make a post (one of my many) about him coaching in his last year "lame duck." With all the things we're NOT seeing from Mike, do you think it has anything to do with this?? Would you want to give as much effort knowing that you might not be back, it would make sense to do well to be retained
I believe it’s always a mistake to bring a head coach back just for the last year of his contract after suffering a huge play-off loss like last January. The players are probably tired of hearing the same sermons in the locker room and probably also feel hung out to dry by its FO, who did almost nothing this off-season to bring the team help.

It just sets up a mental disaster much like 2010 with Wade.

Hope I’m wrong but this team has a ton of mental baggage to overcome and have to be questioning a lot behind the scenes. The ONLY thing that can cure that is winning.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every HC has a shelf life. I think Big Mac’s “Use by” date expired last January.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Who's the "we" stuff? You got a turd in your pocket?

I can speak for myself. I don't need you at all to me what I think/know. I actually watch more than Sport Center highlights.
oh well you have a BIG turd in your pocket, and in you socks!!! Who the hell still watches sports center lol

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I believe it’s always a mistake to bring a head coach back just for the last year of his contract after suffering a huge play-off loss like last January. The players are probably tired of hearing the same sermons in the locker room and probably also feel hung out to dry by its FO, who did almost nothing this off-season to bring the team help.

It just sets up a mental disaster much like 2010 with Wade.

Hope I’m wrong but this team has a ton of mental baggage to overcome and have to be questioning a lot behind the scenes. The ONLY thing that can cure that is winning.
post of the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Every HC has a shelf life. I think Big Mac’s “Use by” date expired last January.
Time for someone new with some new energy, are you opposed to one of those younger coaches???? I need to watch how I say things, soon as they let Kellen go in Philly, Jerry will be on the first thing calling him to be our head coach once Mike is gone!!!

Aven8

Reaction score

I would sort of agree but then you see the comeback against Balty in the 4th quarter. Those guys weren’t quitting. Balty had obviously relaxed but all 3 phases kept going.

I think Mike is fed up personally. How could he not be? They did nothing to help him improve the team this offseason. The way it’s looking they will be lucky to win 6 games.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would sort of agree but then you see the comeback against Balty in the 4th quarter. Those guys weren’t quitting. Balty had obviously relaxed but all 3 phases kept going.

I think Mike is fed up personally. How could he not be? They did nothing to help him improve the team this offseason. The way it’s looking they will be lucky to win 6 games.
How could any self respecting NFL HC not feel completely hung out to dry? Not only does this owner undermine his HC constantly, he doesn’t even give him any serious roster upgrades. McCarthy apparently needs the money more than his self respect.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

I hope the players never quit. Dur8ng our 1-15 season, that was one thing I loved about the team. They never quit.
Regardless of the record, if the team quits, I hope it sends a message to Jerry about the culture that created such mental weakness. Maybe he will get tougher on everyone or allow his coach to do so.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Since Jimmy left Jerry has only managed to hire one good coach. And maybe two average coaches in Gaily and McCarthy. But that’s a stretch.

btgboys41

Reaction score
I think coach Mac is hearing more Belichick chatter in the building than the fans do. Jerry is not subtle and I believe that could be deflating. This is the kind of situation that requires strong team leaders and they just don’t have leaders that can overcome crappy Jerry.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Would have been nice to have pulled the trigger on Harbaugh but that had less than a zero shot of happening. Otherwise I don’t know who could have been a real replacement. Most of all, I think they were more willing to throw away an entire season instead of paying MM 5M to stay home. Sure seems that way.

Speaking of egos too large for the building, which of Belichick/Jerry is going to make severe concessions if they are to coexist?

I don’t think there’s much to that rumor besides a headline grabber for Jerry.

The closest thing we could have had to a real HC who could have actually commanded the locker room under Jerry’s ego reign was Sean Payton due to their relationship, but that ship has obviously sailed.

I don’t see Jerry even identifying an up and coming coordinator, let along hiring one, nor spending big dollars there (he has never respected the title of HC, and there’s been inferior schemes as a result for 15 years now, but nevermind that…look over there…).

Rex Ryan, come on down. There’s the guy. He threw some dazzling football speak at Jerry and Jerry was infatuated. Similar to Mike at the sleepover.

He is a knockoff of a solid HC who everyone has heard of, and would grab headlines at a discounted price, but most importantly will let Jerry be Jerry and not question anything because he is thankful for the last payday.