CFZ The mental toll of keeping Mike McCarthy

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That loss to Green Bay last January was not just a first round playoff loss, it was the most embarrassing playoff loss in the Cowboys 64 year history. When an NFL team loses a playoff game in an upset at home in crushing fashion, it leaves mental baggage for the players, and especially for the head coach who is now 1-3 in the playoffs and in the final year of his five year contract.

IMO the decision by Jerry Jones to keep Mike McCarthy after that terrible playoff loss last January was not only cheap (he didn’t want to have to pay off Big Mac’s last year), it also set up this year‘s team with the unnecessary mental baggage of a head coach who has already shown he is incapable of getting this team on a deep playoff run.

Coupled with the questionable decision to keep Big Mac, the FO made it worse by deciding they would do nothing this off-season to make this roster better than the teams of the last three seasons that could not get past the divisional round.

Look, I hope I’m wrong…I really do. But watching this team through four games, they not only look under-manned in several key positions, they look mentally tired. The evidence is already there that this team could be on the verge of quitting on this staff, which is already hanging over a cliff with the expiring contracts.

Here are the red flags that this team is suffering some mental malaise after last year’s playoff loss:
  • Haven't won a home game since last December, 2023 when we beat the lions 20-19.
  • In the team‘s last 3 home games, it averages giving up 40 points a game, and have looked unprepared at the start of each of those games.
  • The players probably feel frustrated at the lack of action by this FO in the off-season but can’t take it out on them.
  • With the defense losing its two best players for a stretch, it creates more strain on the mental toughness of this team. Can they overcome that?
  • If we lose at Pittsburgh, at 2-3 we would face a tough lions team at home again with the mental baggage of the last 3 home stinkers.
  • If we go to the bye week 2-4 with the tough schedule ahead, the “quit alert” bells will be ringing.
The other side of this coin of course is “winning cures everything”. If the team can start winning and show it’s capable of “doing hard things”, it can change this course.

But if I take off the fan glasses and just try to be objective, this does not look like a team that believes in itself nor its head coach.
Head Coach? You mean Jerra? He deserves what ever is coming our way. I hope the Steelers smack them around like the rich kids need!

ShiningStar

Reaction score
So that means he doesn’t want to win because it’s been since the 90’s . What kind of logic is that ? San Diego / LA has never won a single SB . Or Buffalo .
bingo, not every team is there to get the SB. You are quick dont let anyone fight you on that. Rich people want to make more money, awesome thinking there. IM going to steal that.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Hasn’t won the SB in 30 yrs so the logic for some on this board is he “ doesn’t want to win a SB “ …the Texas Rangers through multiple ownerships moved to Arlington in 1972 took 51 yrs to win a WS . Did that mean these owners “ didn’t want to win a WS “ …..presposterous.

The Detroit Lions have never won a SB . Does that mean the Ford family & Dan Campbell don’t want to win a SB ? What kind of logic is this ?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Hasn’t won the SB in 30 yrs so the logic for some on this board is he “ doesn’t want to win a SB “ …the Texas Rangers through multiple ownerships moved to Arlington in 1972 took 51 yrs to win a WS . Did that mean these owners “ didn’t want to win a WS “ …..presposterous.

The Detroit Lions have never won a SB . Does that mean the Ford family & Dan Campbell don’t want to win a SB ? What kind of logic is this ?
what do you think they were doing? Matt Millen was the GM, the guy kept choosing bad picks out of many drafts, who looked at that and said, "you want to see teh SB this is the best path?"

Logic is like math, when you dont have the whole problem you cant solve it. But if you look at the evidence and facts, yes tehre are certain teams who knew they couldnt play with the heavy hitters at the time, blame, talk, whatever excuse you need, but the fact was lots of fans are looking at teams that activily work hard for trhe SB, even if they arent in it every year, but relevent and teams that dont and occiasionlly take a shot, I personally feel the Eagles are like this, hey if things fall into place, go for it, if not, we dont care, lots of money still coming in.

Let me ask you this, does making a new stadium bring you a SB? by your logic it would, by evidence it doesnt, also by the rules, certain stadiums would let you HOST the SB, but you know, all the teams were vying for the SB, LOL.

Sit this one out.

Answer this question, name me any franchise in the league that has fired not 1, not 2, but 3 Super Bowl winning coaches, than you and i can chat.

tunahelper

Reaction score
That loss to Green Bay last January was not just a first round playoff loss, it was the most embarrassing playoff loss in the Cowboys 64 year history. When an NFL team loses a playoff game in an upset at home in crushing fashion, it leaves mental baggage for the players, and especially for the head coach who is now 1-3 in the playoffs and in the final year of his five year contract.

IMO the decision by Jerry Jones to keep Mike McCarthy after that terrible playoff loss last January was not only cheap (he didn’t want to have to pay off Big Mac’s last year), it also set up this year‘s team with the unnecessary mental baggage of a head coach who has already shown he is incapable of getting this team on a deep playoff run.

Coupled with the questionable decision to keep Big Mac, the FO made it worse by deciding they would do nothing this off-season to make this roster better than the teams of the last three seasons that could not get past the divisional round.

Look, I hope I’m wrong…I really do. But watching this team through four games, they not only look under-manned in several key positions, they look mentally tired. The evidence is already there that this team could be on the verge of quitting on this staff, which is already hanging over a cliff with the expiring contracts.

Here are the red flags that this team is suffering some mental malaise after last year’s playoff loss:
  • Haven't won a home game since last December, 2023 when we beat the lions 20-19.
  • In the team‘s last 3 home games, it averages giving up 40 points a game, and have looked unprepared at the start of each of those games.
  • The players probably feel frustrated at the lack of action by this FO in the off-season but can’t take it out on them.
  • With the defense losing its two best players for a stretch, it creates more strain on the mental toughness of this team. Can they overcome that?
  • If we lose at Pittsburgh, at 2-3 we would face a tough lions team at home again with the mental baggage of the last 3 home stinkers.
  • If we go to the bye week 2-4 with the tough schedule ahead, the “quit alert” bells will be ringing.
The other side of this coin of course is “winning cures everything”. If the team can start winning and show it’s capable of “doing hard things”, it can change this course.

But if I take off the fan glasses and just try to be objective, this does not look like a team that believes in itself nor its head coach.
Analytics show MM is a big dummy.