CFZ The mental toll of keeping Mike McCarthy

RonWashington

Reaction score
Ben Johnson 38 OC Detroit will be a hot commodity in the off season . Jerry will have to pony up hire the guy and ya know what . Actually let him hire his own staff . Not pick his DC or anyone .

As an owner how are you “ giving away “ power letting your HC pick his staff ? You keep McClay in the FO your still the owner . Do you want to win Jerry ?

RonWashington

Reaction score
Having said that an interesting little fact . Over the past 2 seasons 23 & 24 the Lions having hung 40 plus on Seattle are second most in the 40 plus club in the NFL in that time span with 4 . The Cowboys are first having done it 5 times

Barney to Andy

“ well I’ll be Andy how bout that “

:huh:

Praxit

Reaction score
If MM walks out he’s never be considered for another NFL head coaching position. It’s his self respect that makes him live up to his commitments.
yep, this I agree. But three 12-5 seasons is very lucrative for any NFL team. Will see how 24' fairs.

He needs better post season marks for sure.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That loss to Green Bay last January was not just a first round playoff loss, it was the most embarrassing playoff loss in the Cowboys 64 year history. When an NFL team loses a playoff game in an upset at home in crushing fashion, it leaves mental baggage for the players, and especially for the head coach who is now 1-3 in the playoffs and in the final year of his five year contract.

IMO the decision by Jerry Jones to keep Mike McCarthy after that terrible playoff loss last January was not only cheap (he didn’t want to have to pay off Big Mac’s last year), it also set up this year‘s team with the unnecessary mental baggage of a head coach who has already shown he is incapable of getting this team on a deep playoff run.

Coupled with the questionable decision to keep Big Mac, the FO made it worse by deciding they would do nothing this off-season to make this roster better than the teams of the last three seasons that could not get past the divisional round.

Look, I hope I’m wrong…I really do. But watching this team through four games, they not only look under-manned in several key positions, they look mentally tired. The evidence is already there that this team could be on the verge of quitting on this staff, which is already hanging over a cliff with the expiring contracts.

Here are the red flags that this team is suffering some mental malaise after last year’s playoff loss:
  • Haven't won a home game since last December, 2023 when we beat the lions 20-19.
  • In the team‘s last 3 home games, it averages giving up 40 points a game, and have looked unprepared at the start of each of those games.
  • The players probably feel frustrated at the lack of action by this FO in the off-season but can’t take it out on them.
  • With the defense losing its two best players for a stretch, it creates more strain on the mental toughness of this team. Can they overcome that?
  • If we lose at Pittsburgh, at 2-3 we would face a tough lions team at home again with the mental baggage of the last 3 home stinkers.
  • If we go to the bye week 2-4 with the tough schedule ahead, the “quit alert” bells will be ringing.
The other side of this coin of course is “winning cures everything”. If the team can start winning and show it’s capable of “doing hard things”, it can change this course.

But if I take off the fan glasses and just try to be objective, this does not look like a team that believes in itself nor its head coach.
This team's arrow is pointing down for all the reasons you gave.
We were already at a disadvantage due to losing and not adding talent over the off season.
Now we have lost 2 of our best defensive players off a defense that was already porious.
This team will do well to finish over .500....

Aven8

Reaction score
How could any self respecting NFL HC not feel completely hung out to dry? Not only does this owner undermine his HC constantly, he doesn’t even give him any serious roster upgrades. McCarthy apparently needs the money more than his self respect.
You mean like making a trade last year that would never see the field?……

75boyz

Reaction score
If anyone closely examined his playoff career at GB, it was more of the same.
I hear ya bro.
I think he "under achieved" as a coach with an in his prime Rodgers and only 1 trophy while at GB.

Dak can't carry him here like Rodgers carried him in GB.

You know its bad when both your Head Coach and Quarterback suck at playoff football.
And throw in a GM who is clueless on basic roster construction.

Fun times, I tell ya.
Cowboys!
LOL

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I hear ya bro.
I think he "under achieved" as a coach with an in his prime Rodgers and only 1 trophy while at GB.

Dak can't carry him here like Rodgers carried him in GB.

You know its bad when both your Head Coach and Quarterback suck at playoff football.
And throw in a GM who is clueless on basic roster construction.

Fun times, I tell ya.
Cowboys!
LOL
Mike McCarthy is no leader of men. I don't know what made Jerry thinks a "play-caller" who called plays for Aaron freaking Rodgers is somehow deserves to lead the 9th Legion or Seal Team 6. Those men need a leader of men...not a mathematician.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Ben Johnson 38 OC Detroit will be a hot commodity in the off season . Jerry will have to pony up hire the guy and ya know what . Actually let him hire his own staff . Not pick his DC or anyone .

As an owner how are you “ giving away “ power letting your HC pick his staff ? You keep McClay in the FO your still the owner . Do you want to win Jerry ?

this is a fan who doesnt get it.

No JJ doesnt want to win, hes told you that for over 25 years

How many times ddo you need to hear it?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
That loss to Green Bay last January was not just a first round playoff loss, it was the most embarrassing playoff loss in the Cowboys 64 year history. When an NFL team loses a playoff game in an upset at home in crushing fashion, it leaves mental baggage for the players, and especially for the head coach who is now 1-3 in the playoffs and in the final year of his five year contract.

IMO the decision by Jerry Jones to keep Mike McCarthy after that terrible playoff loss last January was not only cheap (he didn’t want to have to pay off Big Mac’s last year), it also set up this year‘s team with the unnecessary mental baggage of a head coach who has already shown he is incapable of getting this team on a deep playoff run.

Coupled with the questionable decision to keep Big Mac, the FO made it worse by deciding they would do nothing this off-season to make this roster better than the teams of the last three seasons that could not get past the divisional round.

Look, I hope I’m wrong…I really do. But watching this team through four games, they not only look under-manned in several key positions, they look mentally tired. The evidence is already there that this team could be on the verge of quitting on this staff, which is already hanging over a cliff with the expiring contracts.

Here are the red flags that this team is suffering some mental malaise after last year’s playoff loss:
  • Haven't won a home game since last December, 2023 when we beat the lions 20-19.
  • In the team‘s last 3 home games, it averages giving up 40 points a game, and have looked unprepared at the start of each of those games.
  • The players probably feel frustrated at the lack of action by this FO in the off-season but can’t take it out on them.
  • With the defense losing its two best players for a stretch, it creates more strain on the mental toughness of this team. Can they overcome that?
  • If we lose at Pittsburgh, at 2-3 we would face a tough lions team at home again with the mental baggage of the last 3 home stinkers.
  • If we go to the bye week 2-4 with the tough schedule ahead, the “quit alert” bells will be ringing.
The other side of this coin of course is “winning cures everything”. If the team can start winning and show it’s capable of “doing hard things”, it can change this course.

But if I take off the fan glasses and just try to be objective, this does not look like a team that believes in itself nor its head coach.
In fairness to Mike...this roster is TERRIBLE. I hope I am not being a prisoner of the moment, but this is the worst roster Dak has had in his entire tenure in Dallas.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just don't understand, it's insane to intentionally tank a season while simultaneously mortgaging the future to an aging-window-shrinking QB and retain a head coach you fully intend on firing. Vurt da ferk?!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would have been nice to have pulled the trigger on Harbaugh but that had less than a zero shot of happening. Otherwise I don’t know who could have been a real replacement. Most of all, I think they were more willing to throw away an entire season instead of paying MM 5M to stay home. Sure seems that way.

Speaking of egos too large for the building, which of Belichick/Jerry is going to make severe concessions if they are to coexist?

I don’t think there’s much to that rumor besides a headline grabber for Jerry.

The closest thing we could have had to a real HC who could have actually commanded the locker room under Jerry’s ego reign was Sean Payton due to their relationship, but that ship has obviously sailed.

I don’t see Jerry even identifying an up and coming coordinator, let along hiring one, nor spending big dollars there (he has never respected the title of HC, and there’s been inferior schemes as a result for 15 years now, but nevermind that…look over there…).

Rex Ryan, come on down. There’s the guy. He threw some dazzling football speak at Jerry and Jerry was infatuated. Similar to Mike at the sleepover.

He is a knockoff of a solid HC who everyone has heard of, and would grab headlines at a discounted price, but most importantly will let Jerry be Jerry and not question anything because he is thankful for the last payday.
Two thoughts on the idea of Bill Belechick ever being HC here:
  1. I honestly seriously doubt BB would ever agree to work here in this circus. He runs a tight ship - even tighter than Parcells ran. I just can’t see a guy with his level of pride and control just giving all that up to be Jerry’s lackey.
  2. As much as I respect BB, I also think he’s washed. At 72 he still has a fire to coach but all the great coaches come to a place where the game has passed them by. As much as I loved and respected Tom Landry, his time was done. He was 64. Bill is 72.
I respect Bill Belechick. But I just seriously doubt he would ever want to coach in this circus. And on top of that, I believe his days are done as a dominant HC.

75boyz

Reaction score
How could any self respecting NFL HC not feel completely hung out to dry? Not only does this owner undermine his HC constantly, he doesn’t even give him any serious roster upgrades. McCarthy apparently needs the money more than his self respect.
THIS.
"McCarthy apparently needs the money more than his self respect."

It's what I was saying from the beginning to the know it alls crying how Jerry stuck him with Kellen as OC.

Well, he knew all of this going in.
Ya know what he could have done?
Said No to the job.

Well, he got his playcalling back for himself.
But ultimately he took this gig to pad his retirement portfolio plain and simple.

A glorified yes man with a resume written by Aaron Rodgers winning him one SB as a HC.
A long time ago.

Thats precisely what he is. No more, no less.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Two thoughts on the idea of Bill Belechick ever being HC here:
  1. I honestly seriously doubt BB would ever agree to work here in this circus. He runs a tight ship - even tighter than Parcells ran. I just can’t see a guy with his level of pride and control just giving all that up to be Jerry’s lackey.
  2. As much as I respect BB, I also think he’s washed. At 72 he still has a fire to coach but all the great coaches come to a place where the game has passed them by. As much as I loved and respected Tom Landry, his time was done. He was 64. Bill is 72.
I respect Bill Belechick. But I just seriously doubt he would ever want to coach in this circus. And on top of that, I believe his days are done as a dominant HC.
I’m with you, and would rather pursue the next younger mind, although Jerry probably isn’t capable of identifying that person.

BB would at least change the culture…I would think…and if he doesn’t he is just here for the paycheck and it’ll end up similar to McCarthy.

In the end, Jerry can grab all the headlines he wants but I don’t at all see BB here while Jerry spills his guts twice a week, and does things like land helicopters during practice, bring celebrities he is trying to impress, do postgame pressers before BB does, etc..etc etc etc etc etc etc…..

BB doesn’t need the money, but he probably wants the win record. I doubt he wants it that badly to put up with Jerry for as long as it’ll take.

Even so, then what? Start over again in two years? How about someone who could be here for a decade and maybe build a team identity? Nah, the identity is Jerry Jones and he has made sure of it. He thinks his soft, loser, country club mentality where being a star is paramount will eventually work. Makes me want to vomit.

fivetwos

Reaction score
THIS.
"McCarthy apparently needs the money more than his self respect."

It's what I was saying from the beginning to the know it alls crying how Jerry stuck him with Kellen as OC.

Well, he knew all of this going in.
Ya know what he could have done?
Said No to the job.

Well, he got his playcalling back for himself.
But ultimately he took this gig to pad his retirement portfolio plain and simple.

A glorified yes man with a resume written by Aaron Rodgers winning him one SB as a HC.
A long time ago.

Thats precisely what he is. No more, no less.
Mike wanted a paycheck and it was obvious.

He said something to the effect that he would have wanted Moore even if he wasn’t already here. Three years later it was “we have different philosophies.”

Three DCs in five years. This organization is a mess, and they have no real direction. They got very lucky recently and were in a position to actually make a run, but they had no idea what to actually do with that….except worry about the cap years from now. Now it’s over and the decline begins.

Jerry runs the show. It’s all about him and his ego. He has no shame. He will fail and fail until he eventually passes. He is that stubborn and holds all fans hostage.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

I understand why McCarthy was retained after three straight 12 win seasons, the best regular season since the 90s. But look it's important players believe in their coach and does anyone sans maybe some 1st year players believe McCarthy is going to put them in position to succeed or give them an edge when it matters most?

I certainly wouldn't as a player and maybe that's OK for some who are just happy for the opportunity, have a coach that cares about them and gives them an opportunity to send dms during practice. However, it's clear McCarthy doesn't get this team ready enough when it matters and gets out schemed by opposing coaches that maybe don't even have the same level of talent. At some point, you see the same story play out and mentally you're just burnt.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Every Tuesday morning Jerry sits with the head coach for a few hours talking about the team.

At 82 years old do you think he wants to sit and talk with Johnson or Slowik?

ArtClink

Reaction score

Well said, sad, and true. The team might well end up quitting but it wont be quitting on McCarthy, it will be quitting on the architect of this season, Jerry and his idiot son. We just have so many holes that we are in real trouble. And to mk matters worse, there seems to a trend where teams are embracing a strong running game as it keeps your qb at under 20 passes per game. Since we rank near the bottom for stopping the run, I anticipate a long season.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The way they've looked I'm inclined to suspect he wants out of here. They look unprepared and unmotivated. The game plan and play calling that lacks any kind of creativity. It's almost like he's pulling a Jason Garrett level of offensive sabotage.
This is a spot on post. Unprepared, unmotivated, undisciplined.

Big Mike looks like he is putting in time until he can play golf every day.