CFZ The Misconception That Not Stopping The Run Lost Us Green Bay Game

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
I think it was because Green Bay scored more pts is why the Cowboys lost.

Course, defense makes a least ONE play and gets off the field in the 4th. That would've helped.

Also, IF the offense could've sustained one more drive in the fourth, better coaching and calls on critical downs. That would've helped.

Let's just say Dallas lost to Green Bay because of a WHOLE TEAM LOSS.

Oh, and never the refs. And, I am not joking. Enough nonsense about the ref crap.

Flamma

Reaction score
I know we gave up all those rushing yards but that alone wasn’t what did us in. It was the run coupled with big plays in the passing game.

In todays NFL, unless the opposing offense cannot score 26+, just simply running at a consistent level is not enough to win. Explosive plays are what win games. Think about the Bears game, they were down by less than the Packers (28-17) and stuck to the run and racked up 200+ rushing yards. But since they didn’t have enough big plays that scored, they couldn’t catch up.

Running the ball alone when you’re behind 14+ should not be able to get you back in the game, especially in one quarter regardless of if your offense doesn’t score. And this is not a thread to defend the offense just trying to dispel the myth that solely running got them back into the game. Without those quick strike big plays they would have run out of time.

Now I don’t want the team to slack on the run thinking that just preventing big plays is the way. But those two things both have to happen in order to get beat. As long as your offense scores 26+, just running the ball well won’t do it, you need explosive plays.

You're right that it wasn't just because we couldn't stop the run. But not stopping the run is why Rodgers only had to throw 20 passes.

You can't pass rush when you can't stop the run. Big pass plays can happen when defenses are selling out to stop the run. You see it with the Eagles this year. You saw it with Lamar Jackson in 2019. His best passing stats in his career, and he's a better passer now. Just doesn't have the same run game.

I'm just sayin', it's two totally different games when your QB is throwing 20 passes all game as opposed to 40.

I also think about the Bears game. If the Bears had a halfway decent defense, I don't think we beat them. I think we scored 4 touchdowns with our first 4 possessions.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
When one of those turnovers happens in the end zone, that's potentially a big point swing. Had that been a TD instead of a turnover, I think we would've been up by 21, and I don't think they would've been as likely to stick with the ground game.
But it happened in the 1st quarter. Way too much game remaining....we ended up scoring several times.after that and again. At that point in the game. You are up 14. We need to win....

If that happened in the 4th quarter then yes, it's a big point swing.

Teams overcome turnovers.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I mean, you can say it, I'm sure it makes you feel better, but it doesn't make it true.

A franchise QB lifts up their teammates. Makes the whole greater than the sum of its parts. Prescott couldn't do that if his life depended on it.

He's a fraud.
He had the most come.back wins at one point before his injury. He has a winning record.

And you still haven't given us your alternative. Let's say he is a fraud. He sucks. What do you got that's definitely better?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
But it happened in the 1st quarter. Way too much game remaining....we ended up scoring several times.after that and again. At that point in the game. You are up 14. We need to win....

If that happened in the 4th quarter then yes, it's a big point swing.

Teams overcome turnovers.
But that's what I'm saying. If we'd gone up by 21 points at the beginning of the game, GB may have felt the need to play catch up, by throwing more and running less.

Lutonio

Reaction score
I know we gave up all those rushing yards but that alone wasn’t what did us in. It was the run coupled with big plays in the passing game.

In todays NFL, unless the opposing offense cannot score 26+, just simply running at a consistent level is not enough to win. Explosive plays are what win games. Think about the Bears game, they were down by less than the Packers (28-17) and stuck to the run and racked up 200+ rushing yards. But since they didn’t have enough big plays that scored, they couldn’t catch up.

Running the ball alone when you’re behind 14+ should not be able to get you back in the game, especially in one quarter regardless of if your offense doesn’t score. And this is not a thread to defend the offense just trying to dispel the myth that solely running got them back into the game. Without those quick strike big plays they would have run out of time.

Now I don’t want the team to slack on the run thinking that just preventing big plays is the way. But those two things both have to happen in order to get beat. As long as your offense scores 26+, just running the ball well won’t do it, you need explosive plays.

No, no, no, they need to stop the run. I saw the whole thing clearly on my 10 inch black and white tv. I was so mad I left to push a hoop down the street with a stick to calm down. Also, they should bring back leather helmets. Crazy kids with their rock n roll music and their Pac Man video games and their modern nfl offenses.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
But that's what I'm saying. If we'd gone up by 21 points at the beginning of the game, GB may have felt the need to play catch up, by throwing more and running less.
So you just put the whole winning on offense with zero responsibility on defense. You just said we should go up by 21 to win. We should be in a blow out for this team to win games...right? How often does being up by 21 happen in the NFL?

blueblood70

Reaction score

sorry no lies off base Bears game they nearly did come back our offense just dominated the game after they got within 7.the run game has issues and GB did win the run game gashing drew stacked boxes caused 1-1 out on a island for brown, kj, and Bland and we got burned on PA..PA is based off a dominate run game..

sorry the defense blew that game, were bad in both those games including the eagles game, look at the final drive, i know Rush threw 3 picks, that didn't help but really this has been an issue most of the season, and really IMHO 11-72 to Dalvin cook with team lie MN who wasn't patient, shows we might still need to do work in that area.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So you just put the whole winning on offense with zero responsibility on defense. You just said we should go up by 21 to win. We should be in a blow out for this team to win games...right? How often does being up by 21 happen in the NFL?
I'm not blaming anyone. I'm simply stating another factor that led to the loss. Of course the defense needs to defend the run better, but the defense has been carrying the offense all season. I wouldn't be mad about the offense carrying the defense once in a while.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This to me was more about 4th quarter. Up by 14. The game has ebbs and flows. Turnovers happen. It's the NFL. Teams have to find ways to over come. You go into 4th quarter up by 14. Having scored 28. You should be able to win....
Correct, you should be... but this is the NFL and even very good teams still blow games... see Bills.
Its just a blip on the radar of a season. Come playoff time, that loss will be way behind us in the rearview mirror.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not bingo PA pass was open for big pays because our defenses had to come down to help with the run. Leaving 1-1 man coverage on the outside ..that starts with dominate run game, this is how the eagles play, run you into the dirt start getting lead and then Bam big plays in the pass game. they dont have great pass game or pocket QB but they have an OL, run game, and mobile qb thats very patient and deliberate play caller sets this up all game..

this was rth 90s Cowboys Offense run you into the ground then hit the big pays after defense tightened to stop the run.

it is our Achilles heel.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Correct, you should be... but this is the NFL and even very good teams still blow games... see Bills.
Its just a blip on the radar of a season. Come playoff time, that loss will be way behind us in the rearview mirror.
Hopefully a blip.:eek::popcorn:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
sorry no lies off base Bears game they nearly did come back our offense just dominated the game after they got within 7.the run game has issues and GB did win the run game gashing drew stacked boxes caused 1-1 out on a island for brown, kj, and Bland and we got burned on PA..PA is based off a dominate run game..

sorry the defense blew that game, were bad in both those games including the eagles game, look at the final drive, i know Rush threw 3 picks, that didn't help but really this has been an issue most of the season, and really IMHO 11-72 to Dalvin cook with team lie MN who wasn't patient, shows we might still need to do work in that area.

so you just expect the defense to never give up drives and never give up points? Thats just not realistic.
Our defense is the NUMBER 1 defense in the league in points allowed per game. Isnt that the ultimate goal? You can use statistics to make any oint you want, but the bottom line is our defense is clearly one of the top 4 in the entire NFL no matter how you want to break it down. That means this D is good enough to win a SB.

terra

Reaction score

Obviously you failed football 101.