CFZ The Misconception That Not Stopping The Run Lost Us Green Bay Game

Adiba1977

Reaction score
Lost because didn’t pressure qb and gave up big passes. Running rarely good enough beat ya alone.

Mannix

Reaction score
that game is likely gonna cost us home field throughout and a 1st round bye

starfan1

Reaction score
Lost because didn’t pressure qb and gave up big passes. Running rarely good enough beat ya alone.
What running does though when it gets the kind of success it does is little by little pulls your safeties up
And when your going against speed receivers it open the field deep
And our corners not named Diggs are average

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They did burn us deep several times. One for a TD. They may not give Brown help, but bland needs help. Can't leave him in single coverage with no help.
I would like to see the Cowboys run that play that GB used to beat Bland.

The only defense of that play is for the Nickel CB to line up farther off the line.

Help might have limited YAC but probably not the catch.

The Bears game is one where over-focusing on the run really helped the Bears passing. The Cowboys were in cover zero on one passing TD in that game.

blueblood70

Reaction score
so you just expect the defense to never give up drives and never give up points? Thats just not realistic.
Our defense is the NUMBER 1 defense in the league in points allowed per game. Isnt that the ultimate goal? You can use statistics to make any oint you want, but the bottom line is our defense is clearly one of the top 4 in the entire NFL no matter how you want to break it down. That means this D is good enough to win a SB.
Great so you expect dak to never throw an INC or INT?? Unrealistic huh, its all people focus on around here.. daks got our offenses since his first game back to now in the top 5 in many category's.. sorry he gets criticized and they and 2 very bad games.. GB game was a total collapse not a few drives 4th qtr and into OT were cut, bleeding and died..

Im saying if we can be critical of other areas and players, defense must take their lumps. like i said, 11-72 for cooks , not something id be proud of , ie not fixed YET. MN just decided to not stick to the run , very impatient and fell right into the trap and tried to throw on us , a lot, before full establishing the run.

what that Cowboys run d ranked? NY, eagles, and titans will test us even Washington will use the blueprint. heck id bet Indy will use Taylor like that.. We shall see if its fixed.

sbark

Reaction score
I would counter that somewhat...it was the strong running game that allowed the long passes. once we couldn't stop the run with front 7, the safties and even LBs had to cheat up, so there was no real deep help. that also opened us to play action, which then Rodgers cashed in. easy pitch and catch. if you are able to run like that on anybody, big chunks. short yardage on 2nd and 3rd downs (not managable, but short), then that opens up the passing game.

the reason bears didn't succeed, is their defense was putrid. and Rodgers is a heck of a lot better deep passer. they were down by a few scores, before they went to the pass, and we had dropped 5 into coverage. they went to their bread and butter and ran the ball, which is something we wanted them to do, to kill the clock. for example. after we scored and went up 49-29, at 10:35 mark of 4th they ran the ball 3 straight times. burned over two minutes off the clock. Made no sense.

compare that to the GB game, on their final two TDs in regulation, they were in 3rd and 3, 2nd and 5. they ran the ball 5 times and 2 passes. that pulled the defense in for another play action on 4th and we had a secondary breakdown with a rookie. after that score, we had a decent drive, except it didn't start on the 25, it started on the 12 and stalled on the 35. burned 4 minutes off the clock. then they ran 6 times, passed three times being in 2nd & 4, 3rd &,2, first down running 17 yards, 2nd and 6, then a 30 yard run and they were in the redzone and scored...

Dak and Cowboys are the same way. for us to succeed, we have to run and not even necessarily be successful in gaining chunks, but run it. get the count up. and then give dak a semi clean pocket....if the pressure comes, his footwork gets sloppy and he has errant throws.
Yup....deep safeties walked up to support run.....nowhere in sight on several bombs deep

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Big plays in the passing game are easier to come by when the defense is forced to commit more players to stop the run. One leads to the other.

Exactly, liken it to body blows or punches to the gut in boxing that sets up the left hook or upper cut to the chin for the knockout. The Cowboys got floored and went down for the count. DOWN GOES FRAZZAHHH....!!!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Great so you expect dak to never throw an INC or INT?? Unrealistic huh, its all people focus on around here.. daks got our offenses since his first game back to now in the top 5 in many category's.. sorry he gets criticized and they and 2 very bad games.. GB game was a total collapse not a few drives 4th qtr and into OT were cut, bleeding and died..

Im saying if we can be critical of other areas and players, defense must take their lumps. like i said, 11-72 for cooks , not something id be proud of , ie not fixed YET. MN just decided to not stick to the run , very impatient and fell right into the trap and tried to throw on us , a lot, before full establishing the run.

what that Cowboys run d ranked? NY, eagles, and titans will test us even Washington will use the blueprint. heck id bet Indy will use Taylor like that.. We shall see if its fixed.

I dont remember mentioning Dak? Did I criticize Dak just now????? Hmm, I remember playing the Giants and Washington and already kicking their arse.... but they now have the "Blueprint?" lol.... like Mike Tyson once said, Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth."

blueblood70

Reaction score
I dont remember mentioning Dak? Did I criticize Dak just now????? Hmm, I remember playing the Giants and Washington and already kicking their arse.... but they now have the "Blueprint?" lol.... like Mike Tyson once said, Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth."
this zone does 48% wanted rush to remain the qb LMAO , FB, social media all hold dak to perfection, blamed him for the GB loss, one giant espn tool stated Daks the weak link over the GB loss, are you serious?

just saying the gloves are off for all..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I would like to see the Cowboys run that play that GB used to beat Bland.

The only defense of that play is for the Nickel CB to line up farther off the line.

Help might have limited YAC but probably not the catch.

The Bears game is one where over-focusing on the run really helped the Bears passing. The Cowboys were in cover zero on one passing TD in that game.
Agreed. It was a simple design, mismatch and execution

Could work with Gallup or CD.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm not blaming anyone. I'm simply stating another factor that led to the loss. Of course the defense needs to defend the run better, but the defense has been carrying the offense all season. I wouldn't be mad about the offense carrying the defense once in a while.
True. I assumed 28 was enough. Often is. If we could have just extend one of the drives in the 4th. Eat up another couple of minutes.

Also I didn't like the play calling and clock management in the 4th..that's were good coaching come I to play. That's why Bilicheck is so good. His game management is impeccable

Reid1boys

Reaction score
[QU
this zone does 48% wanted rush to remain the qb LMAO , FB, social media all hold dak to perfection, blamed him for the GB loss, one giant espn tool stated Daks the weak link over the GB loss, are you serious?

just saying the gloves are off for all..
You think thi sis new? We scored 49 freaking points against the Broncos and lost and people were blaming Romo for the late Int as he was trying to take the lead in the final few minutes of the game. I mean... if we didnt score 56, that was Romo's fault.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
so you just expect the defense to never give up drives and never give up points? Thats just not realistic.
Our defense is the NUMBER 1 defense in the league in points allowed per game. Isnt that the ultimate goal? You can use statistics to make any oint you want, but the bottom line is our defense is clearly one of the top 4 in the entire NFL no matter how you want to break it down. That means this D is good enough to win a SB.
I think this was a total team collapse. Coaching. Offense. Defense. Normally 28 is enough. We needed to win a shootout and didn't. Normally 14 point lead in s enough for a 4th quarter. It wasn't. If the offense could extend one drive in the 4th by two minutes, we probably win. Clock management sucked.

And I called this a trap game and I was dismissed. We probably looked ahead to Vikings thinking we are more talented and can just show up and win. Parsons called out lack of discipline on defense. Usually happens when players panic. It did look like we were looking ahead to Vikings because I have never seen a team so ready to play.

So hopefully a lesson learned. Don't look ahead. O e game at a time. Don't underestimate any team.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I would counter that somewhat...it was the strong running game that allowed the long passes. once we couldn't stop the run with front 7, the safties and even LBs had to cheat up, so there was no real deep help. that also opened us to play action, which then Rodgers cashed in. easy pitch and catch. if you are able to run like that on anybody, big chunks. short yardage on 2nd and 3rd downs (not managable, but short), then that opens up the passing game.

the reason bears didn't succeed, is their defense was putrid. and Rodgers is a heck of a lot better deep passer. they were down by a few scores, before they went to the pass, and we had dropped 5 into coverage. they went to their bread and butter and ran the ball, which is something we wanted them to do, to kill the clock. for example. after we scored and went up 49-29, at 10:35 mark of 4th they ran the ball 3 straight times. burned over two minutes off the clock. Made no sense.

compare that to the GB game, on their final two TDs in regulation, they were in 3rd and 3, 2nd and 5. they ran the ball 5 times and 2 passes. that pulled the defense in for another play action on 4th and we had a secondary breakdown with a rookie. after that score, we had a decent drive, except it didn't start on the 25, it started on the 12 and stalled on the 35. burned 4 minutes off the clock. then they ran 6 times, passed three times being in 2nd & 4, 3rd &,2, first down running 17 yards, 2nd and 6, then a 30 yard run and they were in the redzone and scored...

Dak and Cowboys are the same way. for us to succeed, we have to run and not even necessarily be successful in gaining chunks, but run it. get the count up. and then give dak a semi clean pocket....if the pressure comes, his footwork gets sloppy and he has errant throws.

This, the run sets up the pass.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I know we gave up all those rushing yards but that alone wasn’t what did us in. It was the run coupled with big plays in the passing game.

In todays NFL, unless the opposing offense cannot score 26+, just simply running at a consistent level is not enough to win. Explosive plays are what win games. Think about the Bears game, they were down by less than the Packers (28-17) and stuck to the run and racked up 200+ rushing yards. But since they didn’t have enough big plays that scored, they couldn’t catch up.

Running the ball alone when you’re behind 14+ should not be able to get you back in the game, especially in one quarter regardless of if your offense doesn’t score. And this is not a thread to defend the offense just trying to dispel the myth that solely running got them back into the game. Without those quick strike big plays they would have run out of time.

Now I don’t want the team to slack on the run thinking that just preventing big plays is the way. But those two things both have to happen in order to get beat. As long as your offense scores 26+, just running the ball well won’t do it, you need explosive plays.
Running the ball sets up those play action big passes.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I think this was a total team collapse. Coaching. Offense. Defense. Normally 28 is enough. We needed to win a shootout and didn't. Normally 14 point lead in s enough for a 4th quarter. It wasn't. If the offense could extend one drive in the 4th by two minutes, we probably win. Clock management sucked.

And I called this a trap game and I was dismissed. We probably looked ahead to Vikings thinking we are more talented and can just show up and win. Parsons called out lack of discipline on defense. Usually happens when players panic. It did look like we were looking ahead to Vikings because I have never seen a team so ready to play.

So hopefully a lesson learned. Don't look ahead. O e game at a time. Don't underestimate any team.

so you think they looked ahead? What the hell does "Looking ahead," even mean? We were up 14 and lost... had nothing to do with them looking to the following week.

Buffalo is in a shootout right now... are they "Looking ahead?"

kskboys

Reaction score
I know we gave up all those rushing yards but that alone wasn’t what did us in. It was the run coupled with big plays in the passing game.

In todays NFL, unless the opposing offense cannot score 26+, just simply running at a consistent level is not enough to win. Explosive plays are what win games. Think about the Bears game, they were down by less than the Packers (28-17) and stuck to the run and racked up 200+ rushing yards. But since they didn’t have enough big plays that scored, they couldn’t catch up.

Running the ball alone when you’re behind 14+ should not be able to get you back in the game, especially in one quarter regardless of if your offense doesn’t score. And this is not a thread to defend the offense just trying to dispel the myth that solely running got them back into the game. Without those quick strike big plays they would have run out of time.

Now I don’t want the team to slack on the run thinking that just preventing big plays is the way. But those two things both have to happen in order to get beat. As long as your offense scores 26+, just running the ball well won’t do it, you need explosive plays.
Rodgers threw 7 passes in the first half. Exactly how did GB running the ball NOT affect the game?

Incorrect. Ball control, D, TO's and explosive plays win games. Trying to say it's only one thing is pretty short sighted.