CFZ The missing elements in Cowboys attempts at championship roster building

Hadenough

Reaction score
First point before anything else- yes, you must have talent to win in the NFL. But talent alone is never enough to win a championship.

Putting together a championship level roster is so much more than just collecting talent
. Teams that win SBs or even conference championships are not just talented. They are a real TEAM, meaning their collective talent is greater than each individual talent on the team. It is why a championship team is not always the most talented roster, but the most effective roster as a complete unit. Another term for this is complementary football”.

The Dallas Cowboys had enough talent to win 12 regular season games 3 straight seasons. But the missing element is their inability as a complete roster to overcome their collective weaknesses. Here is a short list of the Cowboys‘ team weaknesses that cannot just be fixed with individual talent.

TEAM WEAKNESSES THAT REQUIRE MORE THAN INDIVIDUAL TALENT TO FIX
  • Culture (aka Unnecessary distractions) in a recent interview, Troy Aikman mentioned how the Cowboys as a team have to overcome some inherent cultural problems other teams don’t. Like watching tours of team facilities happening while they are trying to prepare each week. Like film crews from Netflix filming the owner for a “special” while the team was preparing for the GB playoff game. Aikman called this “unnecessary distractions“. Troy has mentioned after Jimmy left, you never knew what celebrity was going to show up with Jerry at practice. It creates a circus of distractions. And if the owner is the one doing it, who can correct this?

• Lack of understanding on collective roster building- one of the fun parts of being a fan is pretending we could select the right talent for our favorite team. “I like this player. He’s really good.” It’s like fantasy football. Just draft the most talented guys you can. But the problem with that is championship rosters require the talent to make a collective whole that is better than its individual parts. Otherwise all you have is an All Star team without a team concept. Sometimes it feels like this front office drafts like a fantasy football draft.

• Understanding collective complementary football- the Cowboys have had some similar problems for decades.
    • One easy example is the team’s long standing inability to stop the run. Really improving this requires multiple players that collectively as a unit make our run stopping ability much better. What does our FO do? They draft a guy in round one thinking “we’ve addressed our inability to stop the run”. Or they trade for a decent run stuffer like Jonathan Hankins. They don’t seem to ever think about needing a collective unit that can stop the run.
    • Dak Prescott is MOST EFFECTIVE with a good running game. Yet somehow this FO doesn’t draft a RB last year or recognize their aging OL is no longer great for running the ball. That oversight killed this team against the better teams last year.
So again, the missing elements for building a championship roster can be boiled down to this:
  1. Eliminate unnecessary distractions.
  2. Recognize talent alone isn’t enough. It takes a collective whole, not just individual parts.
  3. Build a roster that complements and supports key player strengths and covers also for their weaknesses.
It doesn't hurt to have pedigree at the most important position. No matter how good the Chiefs are without Mahomes they aren't winning anything. That key ingredient hasn't been here since Aikman.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to have pedigree at the most important position. No matter how good the Chiefs are without Mahomes they aren't winning anything. That key ingredient hasn't been here since Aikman.
I think most of us realize we’d love to have an Elite QB like Aikman or Mahomes for example.

But until our ownership gets one what do you suggest we do as fans?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
First point before anything else- yes, you must have talent to win in the NFL. But talent alone is never enough to win a championship.

Putting together a championship level roster is so much more than just collecting talent
. Teams that win SBs or even conference championships are not just talented. They are a real TEAM, meaning their collective talent is greater than each individual talent on the team. It is why a championship team is not always the most talented roster, but the most effective roster as a complete unit. Another term for this is complementary football”.

The Dallas Cowboys had enough talent to win 12 regular season games 3 straight seasons. But the missing element is their inability as a complete roster to overcome their collective weaknesses. Here is a short list of the Cowboys‘ team weaknesses that cannot just be fixed with individual talent.

TEAM WEAKNESSES THAT REQUIRE MORE THAN INDIVIDUAL TALENT TO FIX
  • Culture (aka Unnecessary distractions) in a recent interview, Troy Aikman mentioned how the Cowboys as a team have to overcome some inherent cultural problems other teams don’t. Like watching tours of team facilities happening while they are trying to prepare each week. Like film crews from Netflix filming the owner for a “special” while the team was preparing for the GB playoff game. Aikman called this “unnecessary distractions“. Troy has mentioned after Jimmy left, you never knew what celebrity was going to show up with Jerry at practice. It creates a circus of distractions. And if the owner is the one doing it, who can correct this?

• Lack of understanding on collective roster building- one of the fun parts of being a fan is pretending we could select the right talent for our favorite team. “I like this player. He’s really good.” It’s like fantasy football. Just draft the most talented guys you can. But the problem with that is championship rosters require the talent to make a collective whole that is better than its individual parts. Otherwise all you have is an All Star team without a team concept. Sometimes it feels like this front office drafts like a fantasy football draft.

• Understanding collective complementary football- the Cowboys have had some similar problems for decades.
    • One easy example is the team’s long standing inability to stop the run. Really improving this requires multiple players that collectively as a unit make our run stopping ability much better. What does our FO do? They draft a guy in round one thinking “we’ve addressed our inability to stop the run”. Or they trade for a decent run stuffer like Jonathan Hankins. They don’t seem to ever think about needing a collective unit that can stop the run.
    • Dak Prescott is MOST EFFECTIVE with a good running game. Yet somehow this FO doesn’t draft a RB last year or recognize their aging OL is no longer great for running the ball. That oversight killed this team against the better teams last year.
So again, the missing elements for building a championship roster can be boiled down to this:
  1. Eliminate unnecessary distractions.
  2. Recognize talent alone isn’t enough. It takes a collective whole, not just individual parts.
  3. Build a roster that complements and supports key player strengths and covers also for their weaknesses.
If you can't figure out it all starts with the head coach and QB.....then that's on you.

And just looking @ Jerry's track record of how he's tried to do business on the cheap...and dysfunctional....should tell you everything.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I think most of us realize we’d love to have an Elite QB like Aikman or Mahomes for example.

People need to get out of this Stockholm syndrome. Jerry has been getting away with this for way too long.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with that argument…that winning even a conference championship game all depends on having a great QB is actually only half true. Yes if you have a Pat Mahomes + great coaching + a good overall roster you are in the driver’s seat. But it’s more than that. Sometimes even great QBs have bad games and get rescued.

Look at these recent examples of good or even great QBs who had awful playoff games yet still won:
  • The 2020 Tampa Bay Bucs won a SB DESPITE the GOAT Tom Brady playing awful in the NFC championship game - He threw 3 INTs and had to be bailed out by his defense. Yeah Brady had a good SB game but his NFC championship was probably the worst in his career and he would have never been in the SB without that Defense. Brady was the best but even he couldn’t carry that team by himself (Btw in 2009 Brady threw 4 pics in a loss to the ravens in a Divisional round loss. Everyone thinks Brady only had great games but he had some stinkers too)
  • In 2019, Brady had 1 TD and 2 INTs in the AFC championship game vs Mahomes and the chiefs but the Pats won anyway because their defense was great vs Mahomes that day.
  • In the 2015 AFC championship game the broncos Payton Manning was 17-32-176 yards. He didn’t turn it over but he was not a big factor. Their defense was and went on to win the SB vs the panthers that year.
  • In 2014 NFC championship game Russell Wilson threw 4 INTs against Aaron Rodgers and the pack yet still won 28-22 in OT and advanced to the SB because they had a great D.
My point here: If even superstar QBs occasionally need a great defense or running game to bail them out, why do we continue to expect the Cowboys to win a bunch of playoff games with a good but not great QB in Dak and defense year after year that can’t stop the run? All great QBs need help. Imagine how much just good QBs need.

Were the 2000, 2009 and 2012 ravens, who won SBs in two of those years with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco carried by either of those guys? No. Flacco had some good games in the playoffs but he had some stinkers too. Again, even the best QBs need support. Aaron Rodgers won 1 SB. Payton Manning’s all time playoff record was 14-13. Dan Marino was great but not that great in the playoffs because he didn’t have enough support.

I’m convinced if the Cowboys had Mahomes this year, we only lose to the pack 48-42.

Last edited:

75boyz

Reaction score
It's all good and for one last time... I'm a true believer in franchise QBs masking a lotta team warts type of guy.
So I'll say the talent of a Mahomes, Burrow or Allen could get us farther than our current QB with this exact same roster.
Additionally, if you were to add the individual coaching talents of a Reid or Harbaugh or Belicheck or Shanahan in as a duo to those above mentioned type QBs, again with this same Dallas Roster, I believe a championship game and possibly even one SB could be accomplished.
YEP, with all Jerry's meddling included.

Just my opinion and it's the minority.
Oh well.
Shrugs.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Accountability - It all started with Deion.

From "Boys will be Boys"

Jerry as owner and GM allows this to happen. It doesn't matter what roster you build when there is no Accountability

This is where the problems began.

For all his Jim Thorpe-esque skills, Sanders was sleeping-dog lazy. In practices, he went all-out every third or fourth play and refused to wear shoulder pads because, he would say, "I'm not gonna tackle anyone anyway." In meeting rooms, he was known to doodle and doze off. Told early on that Cowboys who refused to participate in the team's weight training regimen would be fined, Sanders dramatically whipped out his checkbook and jotted down a five-digit figure.

When Mike Woicik, the team's gruff strength and conditioning coach, complained about Sanders' indifference, Switzer sided with his new star. "We're talking about Deion Sanders here," Switzer told Woicik. "If he doesn't want to do something, he doesn't have to."

Woicik was speechless. Credited by many players as a key to the back-to-back Super Bowls, Woicik was a no-nonsense taskmaster who demanded maximum effort. "For Mike, anything short of a funeral was an unacceptable excuse to miss a session," says Kevin Smith. "Mike had the personality of a lamp, but if you had to bench press he knew exactly how many you were supposed to do. When you came in and you didn't do it, he'd say, 'You were out f-----' around last night. You must've been drinking last night. You must have been drinking two nights ago.' He'd be pissed. He wouldn't speak to you for a week. If you tested on the bench and you didn't make it, he wouldn't say a word to you for a whole week until you came in and did it. That's how he was. Your goals were his goals."

Throughout the locker room, Woicik was as respected as any Cowboy coach or official. And Deion Sanders had the nerve to treat him … like this?

Who were the Dallas Cowboys becoming?

"I still remember Deion's first team meeting," says Clayton Holmes, the veteran cornerback. "We were so fundamental about film. The way we studied it was critical. Well, Deion comes in, puts his feet up on a table and doesn't even watch." When Dave Campo, the Cowboys new defensive coordinator, asked the $35 million man to break down a play, Sanders let out a sly laugh. "Hey, Coach," he said, pointing toward the screen, "I got that dude right there. Wherever he goes I go. All that Cover Two stuff you're talking about -- y'all work that out."

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Yes, i agree, talent is what you need first....close second is the coaching.. You got to go out and get the BEST available coaches you can get....STARTING with the HC. And this is where Jerry fails ....even before he does anything else. You have to have the coaches who will train, practice, discipline, inspire and build them into a TEAM. Constructing a building on a false foundation will cause it to crumble down in no time, yeah, it's the prettiest building at first sight....but once you see the rubble, it is just more debris to be hauled to the landfill. That's why every year is the same old thing, rubble in December or January.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Does Purdy have pedigree?

How about Nick Foles (Superbowl winner!), Matt Ryan, Colin Kaepernick, and Joe Flacco (another winner!)? They all appeared in Superbowls.

There are a lot of 1st-round busts at QB, actually more fail than make any real impact in the NFL.

Pedigree would be nice, but if Flacco and Foles can win Superbowls, it's not the most important factor. The team and coaching AROUND a good QB needs to be above average as well.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score

Well you could change teams to root for. You could turn in your so called fanatic card and walk away from football spectating altogether or wait it out to see if you can outlive the current regime and hope for sweeping changes on how the organization operates going forward. I wish us all luck on the last suggestion.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Accountability - It all started with Deion.

From "Boys will be Boys"

Jerry as owner and GM allows this to happen. It doesn't matter what roster you build when there is no Accountability

This is where the problems began.

For all his Jim Thorpe-esque skills, Sanders was sleeping-dog lazy. In practices, he went all-out every third or fourth play and refused to wear shoulder pads because, he would say, "I'm not gonna tackle anyone anyway." In meeting rooms, he was known to doodle and doze off. Told early on that Cowboys who refused to participate in the team's weight training regimen would be fined, Sanders dramatically whipped out his checkbook and jotted down a five-digit figure.

When Mike Woicik, the team's gruff strength and conditioning coach, complained about Sanders' indifference, Switzer sided with his new star. "We're talking about Deion Sanders here," Switzer told Woicik. "If he doesn't want to do something, he doesn't have to."

Woicik was speechless. Credited by many players as a key to the back-to-back Super Bowls, Woicik was a no-nonsense taskmaster who demanded maximum effort. "For Mike, anything short of a funeral was an unacceptable excuse to miss a session," says Kevin Smith. "Mike had the personality of a lamp, but if you had to bench press he knew exactly how many you were supposed to do. When you came in and you didn't do it, he'd say, 'You were out f-----' around last night. You must've been drinking last night. You must have been drinking two nights ago.' He'd be pissed. He wouldn't speak to you for a week. If you tested on the bench and you didn't make it, he wouldn't say a word to you for a whole week until you came in and did it. That's how he was. Your goals were his goals."

Throughout the locker room, Woicik was as respected as any Cowboy coach or official. And Deion Sanders had the nerve to treat him … like this?

Who were the Dallas Cowboys becoming?

"I still remember Deion's first team meeting," says Clayton Holmes, the veteran cornerback. "We were so fundamental about film. The way we studied it was critical. Well, Deion comes in, puts his feet up on a table and doesn't even watch." When Dave Campo, the Cowboys new defensive coordinator, asked the $35 million man to break down a play, Sanders let out a sly laugh. "Hey, Coach," he said, pointing toward the screen, "I got that dude right there. Wherever he goes I go. All that Cover Two stuff you're talking about -- y'all work that out."
Nice one….

For years I swore that Campos philosophy on coaching DBs was….’whatever you do, do NOT attempt to make a play on the ball.’

That aside, this post made me realize that an 87 year old Jerry could very well bring in Coach Prime after the failed Zimmer era, after the failed McCarthy era, after the failed Garrett era, after the failed Phillips era, after the failed Parcells era, after the failed Campo era, after the failed Gailey era, after the Switzer fraud show was over…

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Nice one….

For years I swore that Campos philosophy on coaching DBs was….’whatever you do, do NOT attempt to make a play on the ball.’

That aside, this post made me realize that an 87 year old Jerry could very well bring in Coach Prime after the failed Zimmer era, after the failed McCarthy era, after the failed Garrett era, after the failed Phillips era, after the failed Parcells era, after the failed Campo era, after the failed Gailey era, after the Switzer fraud show was over…
It would be funny if Deion was brought here and he got all pissed off because the players are allowed to do what he did in the 90's.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Does Purdy have pedigree?

How about Nick Foles (Superbowl winner!), Matt Ryan, Colin Kaepernick, and Joe Flacco (another winner!)? They all appeared in Superbowls.

There are a lot of 1st-round busts at QB, actually more fail than make any real impact in the NFL.

Pedigree would be nice, but if Flacco and Foles can win Superbowls, it's not the most important factor. The team and coaching AROUND a good QB needs to be above average as well.
Outliers, pedigree wins more championships than the outliers you described here. Your post is exactly how Jerry is looking at it and we have seen his results post Troy.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It would be funny if Deion was brought here and he got all pissed off because the players are allowed to do what he did in the 90's.
Ha yep, but anyone who can play like him, do whatever you like if it doesn’t get you tossed out of the league.

I can’t stand flamboyant players, yet Sanders is my absolute favorite of all time in any sport.

Glad we had him for the short time we did, and we absolutely do not win SB30 without him. If little Stevie had his way we wouldn’t have. Sounds similar with what goes on now.

We all say “Jerry” because he wants to be the face, but the kid is probably more of a problem. If you’re not a bargain, you’re not playing here.

It absolutely mind blowing that it’s been since 2010 since they have signed a major free agent.

75boyz

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys have been trying to build a team around an UDFA QB and a 4th rd supposed to be back up/project QB now for the last 2 decades almost.
The crowning achievement for both QBs are to have reached a divisional round playoff game and lost.

The whole build a team around the lesser QB philosophy has not worked in Dallas.

I'm gonna steal a little of CZ Jakes's thunder here and say some of y'all will just never get it.

And that is Jones family ownership is not going away.

So the best chance this team has to ever win anything again in spite of the Joneses is with a true franchise QB and a no nonsense coach. The ability of these 2 can overcome not needing 5 Allstars on your offensive line or requiring an 85 Bears defense to win playoff games. And even, in my opinion, can also overcome the Joneses meddlesome ways.
Now will we ever draft the true franchise QB or hire this type coach again?

I have no idea.
But the whole let's build around a bus driver QB with a yes man HC has failed and will continue to do so.

Last edited:

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys have been trying to build a team around an UDFA QB and a 4th rd supposed to be back up/project QB now for the last 2 decades almost.
The crowning achievement for both are to have reached a divisional round playoff game and lost.

The whole build a team around the lesser QB philosophy has not worked in Dallas.

I'm gonna steal a little of CZ Jakes's thunder here and say some of y'all will just never get it.

And that is Jones family ownership is not going away.

So the best chance this team has to ever win anything again in spite of the Joneses is with a true franchise QB and a no nonsense coach. The ability of these 2 can overcome e not needing 5 Allstars on your offensive e line or requiring an 85 Bears defense.
Will we ever draft the true franchise QB ir hire this type coach again?

I have no idea.
But the whole let's build around a bus driver QB with a yes man HC has failed and will continue to do so.
I like your idea, but Jerry will never hire a no nonsense coach either because that type of coach "nonsense" would not put up with Jerry's (and Stevie's) interference.

75boyz

Reaction score
I like your idea, but Jerry will never hire a no nonsense coach either because that type of coach "nonsense" would not put up with Jerry's (and Stevie's) interference.
I hear ya brother. I had this discussion with BobHaze too. I told him there are published reports Jerry said he could work with Belicheck no problem.
So that kinda gave me some hope.
I think BobHaze responded something like But could Belicheck work with Jerry? Lol

Yeah, I realize it's a long shot for Jerry to ever cave on choosing yes men coaches but it's bout all the hope we got left imo.

Oh, and drafting a true franchise QB along with the long shot coach.

So yeah.
Dark times.
BUT I'm saying there's at least a CHANCE!
Dumb and Dumber reference, lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well you could change teams to root for. You could turn in your so called fanatic card and walk away from football spectating altogether or wait it out to see if you can outlive the current regime and hope for sweeping changes on how the organization operates going forward. I wish us all luck on the last suggestion.
Yea I guess or we can just ride it out like most fans of teams in cities where their ownership hasn’t landed an Elite QB and or their team isn’t having much success .

Not much else we can do but hope for the best with a lesser team.

Our situation is probably more dire with ownership which priorities are out of whack.

Honestly I’m shocked this idiot has even put together a playoff caliber team . It is what it is.

Swagger

Reaction score
The problem with that argument…that winning even a conference championship game all depends on having a great QB is actually only half true. Yes if you have a Pat Mahomes + great coaching + a good overall roster you are in the driver’s seat. But it’s more than that. Sometimes even great QBs have bad games and get rescued.

Look at these recent examples of good or even great QBs who had awful playoff games yet still won:
  • The 2020 Tampa Bay Bucs won a SB DESPITE the GOAT Tom Brady playing awful in the NFC championship game - He threw 3 INTs and had to be bailed out by his defense. Yeah Brady had a good SB game but his NFC championship was probably the worst in his career and he would have never been in the SB without that Defense. Brady was the best but even he couldn’t carry that team by himself (Btw in 2009 Brady threw 4 pics in a loss to the ravens in a Divisional round loss. Everyone thinks Brady only had great games but he had some stinkers too)
  • In 2019, Brady had 1 TD and 2 INTs in the AFC championship game vs Mahomes and the chiefs but the Pats won anyway because their defense was great vs Mahomes that day.
  • In the 2015 AFC championship game the broncos Payton Manning was 17-32-176 yards. He didn’t turn it over but he was not a big factor. Their defense was and went on to win the SB vs the panthers that year.
  • In 2014 NFC championship game Russell Wilson threw 4 INTs against Aaron Rodgers and the pack yet still won 28-22 in OT and advanced to the SB because they had a great D.
My point here: If even superstar QBs occasionally need a great defense or running game to bail them out, why do we continue to expect the Cowboys to win a bunch of playoff games with a good but not great QB in Dak and defense year after year that can’t stop the run? All great QBs need help. Imagine how much just good QBs need.

Were the 2000, 2009 and 2012 ravens, who won SBs in two of those years with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco carried by either of those guys? No. Flacco had some good games in the playoffs but he had some stinkers too. Again, even the best QBs need support. Aaron Rodgers won 1 SB. Payton Manning’s all time playoff record was 14-13. Dan Marino was great but not that great in the playoffs because he didn’t have enough support.

I’m convinced if the Cowboys had Mahomes this year, we only lose to the pack 48-42.
In 2020 Tampa Bay had the better team. Far better O line and defense than the Packers. But a couple of those interceptions were effectively arm punts.

The Pats had a great defense in 2019 plus Dee Ford factor otherwise the Chiefs win.

The Broncos had one of the best defenses over the past 20 years outside of Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and those Ravens. Legion of Boom up there as well.

The Packers' play calling and dumb play on the onside kick cost them. It was a freak game.

I understand your points and there's some validity to them. But arguably they are the exception to the rule. Teams that typically win the Superbowl have generally benefitted from excellent QB play at some point in the play offs over the past 15 years. Joe Flacco was amazing when the Ravens won and Foles was exceptional in the Superbowl for the Eagles.

Broncos with Peyton in 2015 was all about the defense and the Seahawks had an excellent defense but Wilson made a number of plays when needed in those play offs.

I would argue the Chiefs wouldn't have either Superbowl with Dak Prescott at QB.

In relation to the Cowboys' loss to the Packers - who knows as it's all about complementary football. E.g., people slammed Josh Allen for his last few plays against the Chiefs - sure he could have done better but in reality he was incredible in the first half and played very well overall to keep the team in the game until the last drive. Without him it would have turned into the Cowboys vs Packers game. Ok, the Bills still lost but he gave them a great chance yet he wasn't helped by 3 huge drops including a simple catch for Diggs negating a key play.

Swagger

Reaction score
Unless the Cowboys can build a generational defense with a strong running game the team does not have a shot at winning a Superbowl with Dak Prescott. Equally, if the Cowboys do have a generational defense and strong running game (unlikely as Prescott is overpaid) then why the hell would the team need to pay a QB like Dak Prescott to do what a vet or a rookie could do for chicken feed.

Either way, Dak Prescott doesn't help the Cowboys win a Superbowl. He's an annoying, deluded, progress stopper.