CFZ The missing elements in Cowboys attempts at championship roster building

Diehardblues

Reaction score
People need to get out of this Stockholm syndrome. Jerry has been getting away with this for way too long.
Sure but realistically the fix is in.

Only way to stop him is thru revenue revolt which with PSL’s season ticket holders are locked in. All they need to do is broker out seats which Texas huge migration from other states have ample opposing fans to attend . We’ve had up to 40,000 opposing fans attend.

The sponsors continue buying in. NFL equal TV revenue continues regardless which game we are watching. Once that new stadium was built. Game over.

It’s why as a long time season ticket holder from Texas Stadium I initially joined these Social Media and Fan sites back in 2008 attempting to warn everybody this was our last credible opportunity to stop him by not buying into new stadium.

And why I waved my white flag years ago. It’s over. Nothing besides what we are doing now which is basically whizzing in the wind. Jethro does just enough to keep the team relative enough so he can stay in place.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unless the Cowboys can build a generational defense with a strong running game the team does not have a shot at winning a Superbowl with Dak Prescott. Equally, if the Cowboys do have a generational defense and strong running game (unlikely as Prescott is overpaid) then why the hell would the team need to pay a QB like Dak Prescott to do what a vet or a rookie could do for chicken feed.

Either way, Dak Prescott doesn't help the Cowboys win a Superbowl. He's an annoying, deluded, progress stopper.
Maybe so , but he’s enough for Jethro to maintain a playoff caliber team he can hype and market .

And don’t under estimate Prescotts popularity despite choking in playoffs and disappointing performances on the bigger stages . His jersey was #5 sold in NFL.

Amazing isn’t it. And why Jethro is “ All In” on him. And will continue to be .

Swagger

Reaction score
Maybe so , but he’s enough for Jethro to maintain a playoff caliber team he can hype and market .

And don’t under estimate Prescotts popularity despite choking in playoffs and disappointing performances on the bigger stages . His jersey was #5 sold in NFL.

I'm not overly surprised his jersey sales are high but likely for the wrong reasons. Certainly not for his QB performances in the playoffs or in big games against good teams.

Swagger

Reaction score

Winning a Superbowl clearly isn't the #1 priority for Jezza if he sticks by Prescott as he has shown time and time again that he isn't the QB for the big moment over the past 8 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not overly surprised his jersey sales are high but likely for the wrong reasons. Certainly not for his QB performances in the playoffs or in big games against good teams.
Understood but it doesn’t matter.

He’s enough of a marketable product for Jethro to sell and as long as we have a playoff contender with him he’s “ All In”.

There’s really nothing we can do about it except what we’re doing. And why I’ve taken an apathetic attitude. It is what it is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Winning a Superbowl clearly isn't the #1 priority for Jezza if he sticks by Prescott as he has shown time and time again that he isn't the QB for the big moment over the past 8 years.
Yea right. But we already know that.

Dak provides Jethro enough to stay the course. I’m just providing my insight on how our owner ticks.

Swagger

Reaction score
Understood but it doesn’t matter.

He’s enough of a marketable product for Jethro to sell and as long as we have a playoff contender with him he’s “ All In”.

There’s really nothing we can do about it except what we’re doing. And why I’ve taken an apathetic attitude. It is what it is.
Quite. I'm the same. I'm just waiting for Prescott to be resigned at which point I wash my hands of the team. It would save me wasting anymore time and having to watch that puzzled look on Prescott's face whilst playing another stinker in the play offs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Quite. I'm the same. I'm just waiting for Prescott to be resigned at which point I wash my hands of the team. It would save me wasting anymore time and having to watch that puzzled look on Prescott's face whilst playing another stinker in the play offs.
I’m a Diehard regardless. Have been for over 60 years.

75boyz

Reaction score
Outliers, pedigree wins more championships than the outliers you described here. Your post is exactly how Jerry is looking at it and we have seen his results post Troy.
Exactly.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Does Purdy have pedigree?

How about Nick Foles (Superbowl winner!), Matt Ryan, Colin Kaepernick, and Joe Flacco (another winner!)? They all appeared in Superbowls.

There are a lot of 1st-round busts at QB, actually more fail than make any real impact in the NFL.

Pedigree would be nice, but if Flacco and Foles can win Superbowls, it's not the most important factor. The team and coaching AROUND a good QB needs to be above average as well.
In every game there will always be a outliers. Many QBs that get drafted turn into busts regardless of what round they were drafted. I believe Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were first round picks. But when looking at the playoffs most of the QBs are first round draft picks. I agree you must have a good team along with a good QB.
Pedigree gives you a solid foundation to work with.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Sure but realistically the fix is in.

Only way to stop him is thru revenue revolt which with PSL’s season ticket holders are locked in. All they need to do is broker out seats which Texas huge migration from other states have ample opposing fans to attend . We’ve had up to 40,000 opposing fans attend.

The sponsors continue buying in. NFL equal TV revenue continues regardless which game we are watching. Once that new stadium was built. Game over.

It’s why as a long time season ticket holder from Texas Stadium I initially joined these Social Media and Fan sites back in 2008 attempting to warn everybody this was our last credible opportunity to stop him by not buying into new stadium.

And why I waved my white flag years ago. It’s over. Nothing besides what we are doing now which is basically whizzing in the wind. Jethro does just enough to keep the team relative enough so he can stay in place.
Well said! Him getting that new stadium has taken the marketing to such a high level that it is far above winning at the highest levels.

Flamma

Reaction score
The Cowboys are good at blowing out teams, but suck when challenged by a good team. We've seen this several years now. The Cowboys have no fight in them. The 49ers should have lost both playoff games, but they never gave up. This Cowboys team either gets blown out or starts playing better when the game is already over. This has been the pattern the last 3 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well said! Him getting that new stadium has taken the marketing to such a high level that it is far above winning at the highest levels.
Yes and it’s the stadium which predominantly elevates the Cowboys revenue above everyone else .

Equal TV revenue mandates all is shared evenly. We haven’t been top in merchandise sales in recent years .

It’s basically the largest stadium which has more seats to sell , the sponsorships sold for the stadium and the Cowboys which puts us well over the top.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
This attitude is what’s missing. We have a bunch of “shallow lives”..slide 2

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes and it’s the stadium which predominantly elevates the Cowboys revenue above everyone else .

Equal TV revenue mandates all is shared evenly. We haven’t been top in merchandise sales in recent years .

It’s basically the largest stadium which has more seats to sell , the sponsorships sold for the stadium and the Cowboys which puts us well over the top.
It seems like marketing is on the same level as coaching, roster building, drafting, etc. Maybe even higher.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
    • Dak Prescott is MOST EFFECTIVE with a good running game. Yet somehow this FO doesn’t draft a RB last year or recognize their aging OL is no longer great for running the ball. That oversight killed this team against the better teams last year.
Not just Dak. All QBs are better off with a good running game.
The main mistake for this year was relying on a recovering RB. Pollard clearly just wasn't full speed this season, and particularly early in the season.
The second *big* mistake was failing to bring in a competent *veteran* to pair with Pollard. We brought in one guy, but he wasn't very good. Given how cheap veteran RBs are, not bringing another veteran into camp was just dumb. It left us using PS level RBs to complement Pollard. Even if Pollard had been fully healthy, that was not enough.
Drafting a RB last year was probably most important for the *upcoming* season. It would have been nice to have a complementary back to Pollard, but much of what would be complementary to Pollard would have been a pass blocker, and RBs rarely come into the league good at that. The way to get the complement we needed through a veteran. That would have also protected us better from Pollard not being full speed to start the season, which turned out to be the case.

75boyz

Reaction score
It seems like marketing is on the same level as coaching, roster building, drafting, etc. Maybe even higher.
Not seems like. It absolutely is. The organization is a marketing and PR firm that plays football on the side.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Better get the soap ready. This organization‘s football operations is led by two guys who do not know how to build a championship roster and they are incapable of admitting it. They can occasionally put together enough talent to be interesting but they still think like fantasy football players. Instead of roster architects.

Put it another way JJ and SJ basically think like fans. Just draft some talent you can market as your “stars”, crow about how many times they have been “pro bowlers”, overpay them, coddle them, all the while not recognizing it takes a TEAM, not a collection of stars to win in the playoffs. And championship teams need great coaching, roster depth, planning for worst case scenarios (instead of always “best case” scenarios) and proactive rather than reactive roster planning.