The Most Underrated Concern

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
OL

Our best player— Martin— is getting up there. Tyron is one or two years away from retirement.

After developing them as players— We let Williams and Collins walk last year, McG this offseason. Depth is thin.

Biadasz will be looking for a payday— and while he has been solid— he is not a dominant player at his position.

Steele is coming off injury and is yet unsigned. Ball looks like a whiff, and Waletzko and Farniok may have flashed a bit, but are far from sure bets.

Throw in a coaching change to Solari, and I think this unit is in need of some strategic attention.Yes, Tyler Smith is looking good. Yes, we should be good for 2023 and maybe 2024. But this OL will need to be restocked and developed and is an underrated need as we head into the draft.
Not underrated by me. You could see this coming for the last couple of years.
*If* everyone is healthy, it looks like a great oline. For starters.
But there's no depth. No up and coming players to backfill with. Tyron and Martin are nearing the end. And Biadasz and Steele are in contract years.

I'd be drafting our C of the future this year. And another interior olineman. We need to plan for Tyron retiring and Tyler moving out to LT.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
THIS might be sacrilege but why not explore trading Martin right now while he is still in his prime? Get prime draft capital. Call the cards and see if we can trade him for DHOP and maybe a 1st rd pick this year and in 2024. They need a guard badly. Our line is in flux already, so why not just do this? Will we run the tires of Martin and get 0 back in return? Is that the plan? This might get folks upset at me, but I said it.
Not possible now. They just restructured him to 1.7mil this year. 28mil of dead cap currently.

Assuming a more normal salary structure for him, where his salary hits his cap, I don't see the bonanza of draft capital coming from trading him anyway.

Other teams can count birthday candles too. 33. How much longer is Zack supposed to play? I don't see us getting a single 1st for him. A 2nd and maybe a later round pick.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
When Bill Parcels was with the NYG, the OL was bad. For 2 drafts, he went 1 & 2 selecting OL both time. A few years later the won the SB. With Hostettler at QB taking over for an injured Simms.
I believe it was their 1st Sb of 2 with him.

When Garrett took over he got rid of the OL and over a few years he rebuilt it. Which was about the only thing he did right.

So is it to that point again, just go all in on the OL. Since the defense is pretty well set. OL and a RB, WR.
I wouldn't be going WR high anytime soon. We've got 3 starters for this year.

OL, NT. RB past 1 and 2.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I agree and there are several OL in this draft that will go a long way in addressing that concern.

John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota. I feel he is going to be Travis Frederick level good.
Kinda old for a rookie though.

30 by his next contract (I think)

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
OL

Our best player— Martin— is getting up there. Tyron is one or two years away from retirement.

After developing them as players— We let Williams and Collins walk last year, McG this offseason. Depth is thin.

Biadasz will be looking for a payday— and while he has been solid— he is not a dominant player at his position.

Steele is coming off injury and is yet unsigned. Ball looks like a whiff, and Waletzko and Farniok may have flashed a bit, but are far from sure bets.

Throw in a coaching change to Solari, and I think this unit is in need of some strategic attention.Yes, Tyler Smith is looking good. Yes, we should be good for 2023 and maybe 2024. But this OL will need to be restocked and developed and is an underrated need as we head into the draft.
Hopefully the OL gets some love in the upcoming draft.

blueblood70

Reaction score
OL

not underrated

weve bene looking for a franchise LG for a while now, came close but want a physical run first type...if we find that guy in this draft then we will be fine with 73-NewLG-Biadsaz-martin-steele looks to be coming back but with Farniok and wally as potentials next men up, we are not desperate but for sure a LG at 26 or the 2nd round is a good bet,

blueblood70

Reaction score
LOL. Only 100% wrong.

Connor Williams
17 Games Started in Miami
PFF Score 78.4
3 Sacks Allowed

Dolphins coach:
as a C, sure so, he wasn't bad as LG but a penalty sucking machine and that cost us he was let got for that reason.? its over hes gone moving on. BTWE grade or not bet he somehow was part of the concussion issues for TUA..pnly take one bad play a game and we saw CWIL do that here.. no anchor. he was let go and it was necessary. we had options at C with TB and Farinok even Mcgovern no need to play around with Cwill.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
My man Hawk19 bringing it strong with another excellent opinion/observation.

denzel-relieved.gif

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I know we went OL in rd 1 last year— but getting a nasty G or C this year at 26 wouldn’t piss me off at all.
I'm hoping for a WR or CB, but I'd settle for OL or DL, myself. I just want them to do their homework and get us a year 1 starter, and some high-ceiling players.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
"After developing them as players— We let Williams and Collins walk last year," LOL

Good riddance. They didn't develope and will be journeymen players if they are in the NFL next year. At least for Williams he never should have been drafted where he was. More like 6th round instead of seond. Another blown pick by Jerry and Spawn.

OL/DL with the first pick. And DL/OL the second pick IMO. Trenches win wenches?
I have a feeling we figure out the 2nd round pick this year.. That's actually a pretty sweet part of the draft. I expect them to surprise pick there with a McClay special.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree and there are several OL in this draft that will go a long way in addressing that concern.

John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota. I feel he is going to be Travis Frederick level good.
My eye on Schmitz

jnday

Reaction score
OL

Tyron is one paper cut from missing half of the season. He has become fragile. I think we saw just how much of a difference a top quality center can make when they drafted Frederick. Upgrading the center position instantly improves the offensive line by leaps and bounds.

kskboys

Reaction score
When Bill Parcels was with the NYG, the OL was bad. For 2 drafts, he went 1 & 2 selecting OL both time. A few years later the won the SB. With Hostettler at QB taking over for an injured Simms.
I believe it was their 1st Sb of 2 with him.

When Garrett took over he got rid of the OL and over a few years he rebuilt it. Which was about the only thing he did right.

So is it to that point again, just go all in on the OL. Since the defense is pretty well set. OL and a RB, WR.
That super bowl win was primarily due to a great D and great DT's. OL did play a part.

Big D

Reaction score
Keep drafting OL. Use FA to plug holes.
I agree with this. We saw Tyler come in and play well as a rookie on the offensive line. When have you seen a kid at DT come into the league and dominate grown men on the offensive line? I don't remember it happening which is why I would address DT in free agency and Offensive line in the draft.

cowboyec

Reaction score
its an area that should always get draft attention...even at full strength.
you can never have enough or ever feel comfortable with your oline.