CFZ The mystery of Jalen Tolbert

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Jalen Tolbert was drafted in the third round last spring, I didn’t expect 60 catches for 800 yds…but I also expected better than 2 receptions for 12 yards, and only being active for 8 of 13 games. Then at a critical moment in the packers loss, his senseless lining up offsides is still unbelievable…even for a rookie.

So what’s up with Tolbert? I know he’s green, but Michael Gallup was a 3rd round pick in 2018 and despite a learning curve, he still caught 33 passes for 507 yds and 2 TDs. Tolbert is barely getting on the field, much less catching passes.

This isn’t a 7th round long shot. Tolbert was drafted to play. That’s what the FO said the day he was drafted. In a year where the Cowboys haven’t been loaded at WR, Tolbert certainly had an opportunity.

So what gives? Any insight on the mystery of Jalen Tolbert?

It was a bad evaluation. He was the top target on a bad football team that played nobody good. Sure, he put up 143 yards against Tennessee.......but his team lost 60-14 so i'm guessing he piled up a lot garbage time stats against UTs back-ups playing prevent defense.

Here is his draft profile- the negatives:

• Would like to see better success through catch adversity.
  • Undisciplined drops at times.
  • Can improve deep-ball positioning against physical corners.
  • Could use more fire in his belly on every snap.
  • Gains positioning but doesn't always finish the block.
So, he's not a physical player. I think he got promoted to round 3 based on his numbers and his stats against TN.

Last edited:

AtomicDog

Reaction score
That lining offsides and asking for input from the ref is just mind boggling. Dude been playing football his whole life. Obviously needs help on the mental part of the game.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
That lining offsides and asking for input from the ref is just mind boggling. Dude been playing football his whole life. Obviously needs help on the mental part of the game.
Refs will tell them if they are not lined up correctly. The ref told him to move back he just didn't move back enough before it was snapped.

75boyz

Reaction score
Superstitious or not, I HATE that he was pick #88, lol.
No, for real.
That number alone has some pretty important significance when talking the wide receiver position around here.
I woulda thought it to be a good omen.
Not the opposite.

jmo

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
In my opinion, most things stem from training camp. I didn't see much, but maybe they don't trust him. I did notice that often times he's in, he's run blocking.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
Refs will tell them if they are not lined up correctly. The ref told him to move back he just didn't move back enough before it was snapped.
You are a professional and making lots of money and you still don't know where to line up?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m just kidding you. Based on your comment “CZ loves Cox but didn’t like the Tolbert pick.” I almost always find humor when one of us fans says the whole CZ board says this or that. Just pulling your chain.
Good to see ole Bob has a sense of humor..

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are a professional and making lots of money and you still don't know where to line up?
You're kidding, right? Every wide receiver in the league does this. What do you think they're doing when they point at the sideline when they line up?

RonWashington

Reaction score
I get the drafting for 4 yrs not 1 I got it but how does 2 catches 12 yards 13 games into season one do anything to further the development ? Particularly with Washington being out this entire time . And Fehoko last I saw dropped a catchable deep ball from Rush haven’t seen him since . Tolbert it would seem should have had more opportunity and yet ….

While we’re at it Jabril Cox didn’t come from the “ Sun Belt “ Conf but from the best Conf without a doubt and he can’t get past the vets to make any headway . Next year is year three for # 14

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
When Jalen Tolbert was drafted in the third round last spring, I didn’t expect 60 catches for 800 yds…but I also expected better than 2 receptions for 12 yards, and only being active for 8 of 13 games. Then at a critical moment in the packers loss, his senseless lining up offsides is still unbelievable…even for a rookie.

So what’s up with Tolbert? I know he’s green, but Michael Gallup was a 3rd round pick in 2018 and despite a learning curve, he still caught 33 passes for 507 yds and 2 TDs. Tolbert is barely getting on the field, much less catching passes.

This isn’t a 7th round long shot. Tolbert was drafted to play. That’s what the FO said the day he was drafted. In a year where the Cowboys haven’t been loaded at WR, Tolbert certainly had an opportunity.

So what gives? Any insight on the mystery of Jalen Tolbert?

This reminds me of something Bill Parcells said. Some WRs get it early on, some take a bit longer. Either that or he just isn't very good at the pro level. Either way, it's too early to judge.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
You're kidding, right? Every wide receiver in the league does this. What do you think they're doing when they point at the sideline when they line up?
Not kidding. I wouldnt trust a referee to save my life.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldnt trust a referee to save my life.
a57631c5fbb7ab86d525120679d7268e.jpg

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
CeeDee
Gallup
Hilton
Brown
Washington
Tolbert

Probably #6 as of right now.

Yeah, you're right. I forgot about Washington. Though there was a reason for that: I was never impressed anyway.
I wouldn't even suit Washington up. We got 4 wide better than him, we got Pollard, we got TEs, and he's not even playing special teams.
With Hilton on board, Washington is in injury depth in case a WR gets injured and will miss a *full* game.

jrumann59

Reaction score
This is Gallup's 5th year and Brown's 6th. How many years do you need in the league to be a vet capable of mentoring younger players?
Neither one of those are #1 WR and an argument could be made they are not #2's either. Hilton was Pro Bowl WR and has some skins, Gallup would be lucky to have half the career hilton had.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I get the drafting for 4 yrs not 1 I got it but how does 2 catches 12 yards 13 games into season one do anything to further the development ? Particularly with Washington being out this entire time . And Fehoko last I saw dropped a catchable deep ball from Rush haven’t seen him since . Tolbert it would seem should have had more opportunity and yet ….

While we’re at it Jabril Cox didn’t come from the “ Sun Belt “ Conf but from the best Conf without a doubt and he can’t get past the vets to make any headway . Next year is year three for # 14
Everyone on here thinks Cox is “special”. The key that Cox isn’t special is when Damone Clark took meaningful snaps on defense 2 weeks after being cleared from spinal fusion surgery!

Cox has been cleared since August and can’t get past ST duty

RonWashington

Reaction score
When I look at Cox I see a Jayron Kearse starter kit . Kearse has been one heck of a signing as well as Dante Fowler . You can’t improve on the bench . I noticed Luke Gifford was in on some of those Texans goal line stands last game . If Gifford is ahead of you in the coaches eye Cox future might be in KC . They seem to like our ex linebackers .