The new Kickoff return

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There have been several pre season games on thus far, how are you all feeling about our chances with the new kickoff return rules? There's so many rules to it, it's very confusing. From what you've seen, how do you think Turpin or any return guy from this team will do???

TwentyOne

Reaction score
There have been several pre season games on thus far, how are you all feeling about our chances with the new kickoff return rules? There's so many rules to it, it's very confusing. From what you've seen, how do you think Turpin or any return guy from this team will do???
The return game does not support speed at the first 20 yards.

The defending team can dictate the blocking scheme of the return team. You are not able to form a wedge. The Initial space between the two teams is way too small and players dont have enough time to get into position.

But if the return man is able to break one tackle big plays are much more possible than with the past rule.

From what i ve seen so far, i think coordinators need at least half a season to get a grasp of the return possibilities and how to set up blockers up front. If there are posibilities at all. These new rules favour the defending team so much more imo.

What is very interessting to me is how the position of the place kicker will evolve. This changes everything that is demanded from him. Now its not about angles and how far you can kick, and how much drive you can put on the ball. Now its more about tight low hard and fast kicks rather than high hanging ones. Its also about how precise lengthwise you can place the ball.

But then because the new rules favour much more the kicking team demands for the kickers are very low. And so maybe salaries will follow.

Last edited:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Cowboys have a good special teams coach and between Turpin and Vaughn they have better than average returners.

Overall I like their chances of being one of the better at returning kickoffs.
how do you like the rules etc of it, are you confused too?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The return game does not support speed at the first 20 yards.

The defending team can dictate the blocking scheme of the return team. You are not able to form a wedge. The Initial space between the two teams is way too small and players dont have enough time to get into position.

But if the return man is able to break one tackle big plays are much more possible than with the past rule.

From what i ve seen so far, i think coordinators need at least half a season to get a grasp of the return possibilities and how to set up blockers up front. If there are posibilities at all. These new rules favour the defending team so much more imo.

What is very interessting to me is how the position of the place kicker will evolve. This changes everything that is demanded from him. Now its not about angles and how far you can kick, and how much drive you can put on the ball. Now its more about tight low hard and fast kicks rather than high hanging ones. Its also about how precise lengthwise you can place the ball.

But then because the new rules favour much more the kicking team demands for the kickers are very low. And so maybe salaries will follow.
I think it was the thursday game, a guy almost got hit really hard returning the kick and they're worried about player safety. Anyways, you're right there is a lot to learn there's some things that to support one part of the team than the other it seems

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t at all see how this lessens the chance for injury, but I can see how it could result in many more TD returns.

Maybe I’m wrong, and maybe it’s part of their plan, but seems like you only have to shake a player or two and its clear sailing from there. Guess we are gonna find out.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t at all see how this lessens the chance for injury, but I can see how it could result in many more TD returns.

Maybe I’m wrong, and maybe it’s part of their plan, but seems like you only have to shake a player or two and its clear sailing from there. Guess we are gonna find out.
Right because more touchdowns brings excitement/money back to the game
As far as injury I don't get it either, players can and will still get hurt, hopefully it's at a low low number
To avoid getting hurt, just try to avoid being blocked and read what's happening, and run through your blocker!!

Jfconrow

Reaction score
To me it seams like there will be a lot more return for TDs. As a player I like not having to sprint 50 yards downfield so that’s cool. Still all the changes are stupid and none of the records mean anything anymore. Even with17 games now that screws up the records. 1000 yards rushing doesn’t mean anything and Hester’s special team kick return record won’t mean as much if this new format leads to a lot of returns.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
To me it seams like there will be a lot more return for TDs. As a player I like not having to sprint 50 yards downfield so that’s cool. Still all the changes are stupid and none of the records mean anything anymore. Even with17 games now that screws up the records. 1000 yards rushing doesn’t mean anything and Hester’s special team kick return record won’t mean as much if this new format leads to a lot of returns.
hey this will add to fantasy football numbers and betting, numbers will be off the roof the nfl will be so happy

reddyuta

Reaction score
IMO you need a returner who can break tackles with the new rules,Turpin cannot cut it but we will see.

CWR

Reaction score
The Cowboys have a good special teams coach and between Turpin and Vaughn they have better than average returners.

Overall I like their chances of being one of the better at returning kickoffs.
Yeah, agreed. I think this is actually advantageous to us.

CWR

Reaction score
Yeah and aren't they pushing for 18 or 20 now? I mean, I like football so I guess that part is cool, but single season records will need asterisks moving forward.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
There have been several pre season games on thus far, how are you all feeling about our chances with the new kickoff return rules?
There's so many rules to it, it's very confusing. From what you've seen, how do you think Turpin or any return guy from this team will do???
With so many rules, makes me wonder how many penalties is it going to cause?

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My proposal for kickoffs. The kicker kicks the ball and once the receiver fields it everyone must stop. At that point a device that has been installed under the field vibrates and players get moved accordingly. They are not allowed to move on their own. Once the man with the ball is touched by an opposing player, the field stops vibrating and the offense comes out.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
My proposal for kickoffs. The kicker kicks the ball and once the receiver fields it everyone must stop. At that point a device that has been installed under the field vibrates and players get moved accordingly. They are not allowed to move on their own. Once the man with the ball is touched by an opposing player, the field stops vibrating and the offense comes out.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
how do you like the rules etc of it, are you confused too?

We’ll all be confused the first 7 weeks then get used to it.

The only rule I don’t like is the fact that you can’t fake onside kick anymore, which is stupid, and the NFL will eventually figure out is stupid.

But the revamped kickoffs themselves will lead to more return TDs, and less injuries, which is what the NFL wants, and probably deep down what the rest of us want too.