The new Kickoff return

Jarntt

Reaction score
The Cowboys have a good special teams coach and between Turpin and Vaughn they have better than average returners.

Overall I like their chances of being one of the better at returning kickoffs.
Well, I'll half agree with you

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Normal kickoffs have a lot of high speed collisions. Now everyone except the guy with the ball won't get into those high speed collisions.
Thank you, I was thinking this same thing. Decided to read further to see if anyone else posted it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the rules are pretty straight forward. There are not that many.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think the rules are pretty straight forward. There are not that many.
Yeah, it's definitely better than not having any return at all. Kickoffs use to be brutal, but a lot of fun. In high school it reminded me of running into battle. They'd have a wedge, and you had dedicated players slamming into it at full speed. It was nuts. I had outside contain, so I was happy. People watching don't really notice what's going on. But if you're in it, you sure do. Now they basically turned the kickoff into a punt.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
no he's not, you haven't even seen him return one yet with the new format
Holy crap you really don't know what you are talking about most of the time do you?

Just come in here and ask questions all dang day.

The answer is, YES HE IS!

Please oh great one, tell us what the Dallas Cowboys coaching staff doesn't know. Because they have said more than once that he is.

Flamma

Reaction score
Holy crap you really don't know what you are talking about most of the time do you?

Just come in here and ask questions all dang day.

The answer is, YES HE IS!

Please oh great one, tell us what the Dallas Cowboys coaching staff doesn't know. Because they have said more than once that he is.
Well, in his defense, we haven't seen Turpin return kicks under the new rules. Based on the new changes, one of the common theories is that running backs would be better suited to return kickoffs. Wait and see.

quickccc

Reaction score
Preseason games are the perfect time and area to learn, adjust, adapt and correct special teams returns. for players, coaches and
even the NFL officials.

This is yet another reason why it's important to keep preseason games around, imo.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I predict the 2024 leading KO returner will have a minimum of 4 TDs from returns.
Could it be Turpin? Maybe. Speed is a key factor.
In my opinion, simply shouting left, right or middle while the ball is in the air can set up the blocking schemes.
All that's needed is to "break through" the line. That poor kicker...lol. The NFL may eventually need to tweak the rules and alignment.

coult44

Reaction score
There have been several pre season games on thus far, how are you all feeling about our chances with the new kickoff return rules? There's so many rules to it, it's very confusing. From what you've seen, how do you think Turpin or any return guy from this team will do???
If they are smart, we won’t see Turpin one time during the preseason. Let people forget he exists

kmp77

Reaction score
It's 100x better than the 99% touchback we had last year. The ONLY thing I see that I don't like is how they line up. It creates a solid wall to try and run through. They're so bunched up it's hard to find a lane. Maybe stagger the lineup slightly?

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I get what they’re trying to do with the injury reduction, but man I will miss the old school kickoff.

Kind of feels like we lost an iconic part of the game. The new kickoff is just less, epic, for lack of a better word to describe it.

Jarntt

Reaction score
You don't think Turpin is better than average?

He is made for this new rule.
Huh? Re-read your post and my answer. Turpin is fantastic. Vaughn is in no way whatsoever better than average. What has he even done as a returner? And no, College doesn't count

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The vanilla stuff that happens during preseason games should never be confused with what happens when the season starts. By the same measure, kickoffs during the playoffs will be amazing.

bigE79

Reaction score
There have been several pre season games on thus far, how are you all feeling about our chances with the new kickoff return rules? There's so many rules to it, it's very confusing. From what you've seen, how do you think Turpin or any return guy from this team will do???
I thought it sucked,it looks like something the xfl would have tried,the NFL continues to ruin the game.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Was watching the game and for some reason the CH 11 feed locally from DFW every kickoff camera seemed to come from out of orbit . Horrible camera work . Hopefully during the regular season kickoffs can actually be seen .

As far as the rules . Too many . If he kicks it here this is what happens if he kicks it there then this happens ….oh brother

:facepalm: