The new Kickoff return

Flamma

Reaction score
The onside kick rules are pathetic
have to INFORM the other team you are doing it?
ONLY in the fourth qtr?
pile of steaming horse crap
I don't know the reasoning behind it only being allowed in the 4th quarter. Why?

As far as informing the other team it's going to be an onsides kick, don't you think by lining up in a totally different formation would give that away? Onsides kicks will be the typical onsides kick like we saw last year. Complete with the stupid rules.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I don't know the reasoning behind it only being allowed in the 4th quarter. Why?

As far as informing the other team it's going to be an onsides kick, don't you think by lining up in a totally different formation would give that away? Onsides kicks will be the typical onsides kick like we saw last year. Complete with the stupid rules.
I have seen teams line up normally and then at the last moment shift. Haven't you?

Flamma

Reaction score
I don’t at all see how this lessens the chance for injury, but I can see how it could result in many more TD returns.

Maybe I’m wrong, and maybe it’s part of their plan, but seems like you only have to shake a player or two and its clear sailing from there. Guess we are gonna find out.
Normal kickoffs have a lot of high speed collisions. Now everyone except the guy with the ball won't get into those high speed collisions.

Flamma

Reaction score
I have seen teams line up normally and then at the last moment shift. Haven't you?
You mean when they shift players over for an onsides kick? They haven't been able to do that since the new rules took place. You couldn't stack a side anymore. But you could still kick a surprise onside kick. But not now. The kicker is all by himself. The rest of his team is 30 yards up the field.

Flamma

Reaction score
1. - If the ball doesn't reach the 20 yard line, it comes out to the 40.
2. - If the ball bounces into the endzone, it can be returned, or downed. It comes out to the 20 yard line.
3. - If the ball goes into the endzone on a fly, same as #2, except the ball comes out to the 30 yard line.

Did I miss anything?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With so many rules, makes me wonder how many penalties is it going to cause?
Being that they're so close to each other, guys are getting to each other quicker, I don't think there will be as many blocks in the back, maybe holding who k nows

gtb1943

Reaction score
You mean when they shift players over for an onsides kick? They haven't been able to do that since the new rules took place. You couldn't stack a side anymore. But you could still kick a surprise onside kick. But not now. The kicker is all by himself. The rest of his team is 30 yards up the field.
No, I have seen surprise onsides kicks. The most famous one was in the third qtr of the SB game between the colts and saints when the saints pulled that surprise and got the ball

gtb1943

Reaction score
Being that they're so close to each other, guys are getting to each other quicker, I don't think there will be as many blocks in the back, maybe holding who k nows
flag happy refs are reality

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1. - If the ball doesn't reach the 20 yard line, it comes out to the 40.
2. - If the ball bounces into the endzone, it can be returned, or downed. It comes out to the 20 yard line.
3. - If the ball goes into the endzone on a fly, same as #2, except the ball comes out to the 30 yard line.

Did I miss anything?
feels like this is geared to make the offense be in better position to score especially with (1)

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
This new rule is gonna change games IMO.

I expect Turpin to have a big year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think it was the thursday game, a guy almost got hit really hard returning the kick and they're worried about player safety. Anyways, you're right there is a lot to learn there's some things that to support one part of the team than the other it seems
Is player safety the real concern? If a majority of teams were not returning kicks last season, that sounds pretty safe to me.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
It looks very strange, but I'm excited to see how it plays out. It's wild that the kicking team is pentalized for a touchback unless it bounces in play first and then in the end zone.

Flamma

Reaction score
No, I have seen surprise onsides kicks. The most famous one was in the third qtr of the SB game between the colts and saints when the saints pulled that surprise and got the ball
Why is that one so famous, but rarely was the surprise onside kick against us in SB XXX hardly mentioned? Because the Steelers lost?

Yeah, in the past you could surprise onside kick because every kick was from the same formation. You can't kick any onside kick from the new formation. So obviously, if you want to kick it onside, everyone is going to know because the entire kickoff formation changes. It lines up the same as kickoffs did last year.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
we hate it now, but someone will do something good and we'll totally forget the hatred we once had for it lol

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Yeah and aren't they pushing for 18 or 20 now? I mean, I like football so I guess that part is cool, but single season records will need asterisks moving forward.
I would rather have 2x12 game seasons a year. So 2 playoffs and 2 Super Bowl. That would keep the records like it used to be from 1947-1960. Or 2x14 game seasons. To me that keeps the records in tact after 1960 and gives the fans / owners more football.

Do away with the ridiculous preseason and double the players salaries because it’s two seasons per year. Just think if they’d been doing that all along Dallas could be pushing almost 60 seasons without a superbowl :/

Iago33

Reaction score
Yeah and aren't they pushing for 18 or 20 now? I mean, I like football so I guess that part is cool, but single season records will need asterisks moving forward.
Single season records should revert to per-game records—e.g, avg rushing yards per game in a season.

Reactions: CWR

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I imagine teams will get better at it. So far it looks like a joke.