The new NFL superstar career

Reid1boys

Reaction score
For starters, the CBA requires 47% of revenues be devoted to player contracts and the NFL is rolling in billions of dollars. As for Johnson, he's played exactly one season since he got paid. Shame on the Cardinals for putting out a garbage o line, poor QBs, and a coach so bad they canned him after one year. It appears decision-making isn't their strong suit.

It's amazing to watch so many fans feeling personally inconvenienced by players having the audacity to act as individuals, rather than indentured servants whose job it is to entertain the masses regardless of their long term-health. How dare these players think about their futures beyond the day fans forget about them and move on to the next guy?
They are no more indentured servants than a singer. They are paid to play a game. They do not have to play the game. If the job is too dangerous and you are too concerned about your future health, than walk away. If you stay, and then at age 64 have crappy knees... oh well. The guy that lays ceramic tile everyday will also have a jacked up back. The only difference is the NFL guy got paid a whole lot better to jack his body up.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Emmitt did because he got to that second big contract after his sixth season. Zeke is about to eclipse Emmitt's career total in a week after playing only three seasons.

The most Walter Payton ever made in a season was $475,000.
I wish gas was still 75 cents a gallon like it was back in the early 90's too.

Are we seriously looking at 1938 when players made less than lumberjacks?

Football used to be a minimally paid hobby.
If it still was would you be happier? What would you complain about then? The fact that players are retiring early because they can't live on minimum wage during a season?

kskboys

Reaction score
They are no more indentured servants than a singer. They are paid to play a game. They do not have to play the game. If the job is too dangerous and you are too concerned about your future health, than walk away. If you stay, and then at age 64 have crappy knees... oh well. The guy that lays ceramic tile everyday will also have a jacked up back. The only difference is the NFL guy got paid a whole lot better to jack his body up.
Guys who put in a minimum of 3 years also receive a pension around 21 grand/year. I think it starts at age 55.

kskboys

Reaction score
While I may not like it if the cat is on my team, I would never blame anyone for making a few millions then getting out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We really do get too caught up in this upper crest of Super Stars. The league is really more about this 75-80 % unsung heroes who sacrifice just as much of their bodies for not much more than the average professional dick makes out in the real world.

kskboys

Reaction score
We really do get too caught up in this upper crest of Super Stars. The league is really more about this 75-80 % unsung heroes who sacrifice just as much of their bodies for not much more than the average professional dick makes out in the real world.
That's one of the reasons that I'm for super stars getting a bit less.

Blackrain

Reaction score
'Twas a time when NFL players were about playing until they couldn't play anymore. Rack enough enough money, stats, and years in the league to plant their flag firmly in the league's history.

Not anymore. Today, the typical NFL career consists of two parts.

First, get drafted as highly as possible and play their tails off to create as much value and leverage as they can. Then, get that first massive payday, and BOOM, they're set for life already. Just play out that string in virtual cruise control until the bonus is covered, and it's off into the sunset.

Doug Baldwin. Joe Thomas. Calvin Johnson. Chris Borland. Even Andrew Luck recently. Rumors are that JJ Watt is about to hang it up. Jaylon Smith seems to already be looking forward to his post-career business interests. It's going viral.

That's the new and increasing goal of a very high percentage of players. Play for 6-7 years, and get out rich and healthy. It's not about success or records or accomplishment anymore. It's about the biggest pile of money as soon as possible, and finding an exit door.

So, should teams start to think twice about these big contracts? The Rams regret the Gurley deal. The Cardinals are getting little return out of the David Johnson deal. The league is full of heavy contracts that didn't pan out well for teams that wish they had a do-over.

So why pay anybody unless it's a quarterback? If some players are locking it down after they get that big signing bonus, then why owners commit to big contracts going forward?

If this trend continues, it could hurt players in the future. Teams may become much more gun-shy about these types of deals, and choose to just draft and release players at the end of their rookie deals as a policy. That means less money for players after that initial deal if teams are balking at big veteran contracts in the future.

How would Amari Cooper handle a massive pile of money? How will Zeke handle it? Jaylon and Leighton Vander Esch? Will Lawrence play with the same abandon now that he's rolling in dough?

Have these massive contracts killed the drive and desire for players in such a physically taxing game?

The days of the NFL lifers may be coming to an end. Records set by Emmitt, Rice, Strahan.....those are probably safe forever as players choose to play half as long as the greats did.

The new NFL career is upon us.

Great post the pendulum has swung almost to the end soon the owners will have to get together and fix this mess of play hard till you get paid then coast till its over .

Some type of new structure will have to be implemented . Talent of Lucks calibur just up and quitting is not good for the league at all , says they are getting paid too well

Rayman70

Reaction score
People tried to tell me...convince me, on sports radio..cough cough..Jim Rome, that Andrew Luck was a legend,icon and Superstar. I almost spilled my coffee while driving. Is that the new high bar now in being a Superstar? He played 7 years lol..won nothing...(colts never put a decent oline in front of him)..but how this guy has somehow been given a pass is stunning. Steve McNair, God rest his soul, was way better than him. IT AINT CLOSE. But you never ever hear about him. He actually played in a SB. Luck never even sniffed a SB. Steve McNair was Elite in my opinion. Luck never was. He was good in stretches, but never could stay healthy. Some of it on him...much of it falls at the Colts front office.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Emmitt did because he got to that second big contract after his sixth season. Zeke is about to eclipse Emmitt's career total in a week after playing only three seasons.

The most Walter Payton ever made in a season was $475,000.

So?

the point is that they were making 100s of times more than the average american. the median income in 1985 was $14k; they would have to work 34 years to make as much as Sweetness did in a year.

by your logic they shouldn't care about the game as much because of the money involved and that is exactly the same kind of crap that was being spewed back in the 80s and 90s.

The reality is that there have been all kinds of players throughout the years retiring early from Jim Brown to Barry Sanders. It's hardly a new phenomenon.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Great post the pendulum has swung almost to the end soon the owners will have to get together and fix this mess of play hard till you get paid then coast till its over .

Some type of new structure will have to be implemented . Talent of Lucks calibur just up and quitting is not good for the league at all , says they are getting paid too well

The owners are the ones that offered less practice time in exchange for them getting more money. The reduction in quality is on them as much as anyone. The reason why players left in droves a few years ago is because the owners collectively obfuscated and obstructed the truth about CTE.

There will be a new structure put in place but it will be collectively bargained just like the last time. It's the law.

HungryLion

Reaction score
So, a few (minority amount) of star players going this route, now constitutes what a “typical” career is?

There are even more star players that play in the league as long as they are physically able to do so.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Property taxes are 30 mil a year? That couldn't be right. My brother in law pays 42k a year in property taxes and I thought that was high.

42k a year?? :omg::omg:

Mine are 1/4 of that. I realize property value plays a part and housing isn’t that expensive in the area I live. But damn.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's one of the reasons that I'm for super stars getting a bit less.
Yea, the older I get the less star struck I am by these Super Stars. But I also understand the business of the league.

There shouldn’t be such a disparage of salaries in the NFL. Guys working side by side with one making tens of millions more that most.

But this also represents how it’s not just a game anymore. It’s entertainment sports. It’s like you either have a leading role or just a supporting cast member in a film or TV show. We often like the supporting characters more.

erod

Reaction score
So?

the point is that they were making 100s of times more than the average american. the median income in 1985 was $14k; they would have to work 34 years to make as much as Sweetness did in a year.

by your logic they shouldn't care about the game as much because of the money involved and that is exactly the same kind of crap that was being spewed back in the 80s and 90s.

The reality is that there have been all kinds of players throughout the years retiring early from Jim Brown to Barry Sanders. It's hardly a new phenomenon.
Don't compare superlatively elite athletes to the average American. Your value is determined by how easy it is to replace you.

The only fair comparison is elite people in other fields. By that measure, a brain surgeon or rocket scientist can work for 40 years, not 10.

That said, paying players $50 million guaranteed naturally can kill much of the drive and determination that got them to that point.

erod

Reaction score
Property taxes are 30 mil a year? That couldn't be right. My brother in law pays 42k a year in property taxes and I thought that was high.
He's living in a $2 million home if that's the case. Depends on the city he's in, of course.

Hadenough

Reaction score
42k a year?? :omg::omg:

Mine are 1/4 of that. I realize property value plays a part and housing isn’t that expensive in the area I live. But damn.
Yeah but he is pretty well off. His house is about 10k square feet. Hell my property taxes are about 7k a year and 8 don't like paying that.