The new NFL superstar career

kskboys

Reaction score
The owners are the ones that offered less practice time in exchange for them getting more money. The reduction in quality is on them as much as anyone. The reason why players left in droves a few years ago is because the owners collectively obfuscated and obstructed the truth about CTE.

There will be a new structure put in place but it will be collectively bargained just like the last time. It's the law.
The players never left in droves.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Are we seriously looking at 1938 when players made less than lumberjacks?

Football used to be a minimally paid hobby.

Ok, since 1960 the average career only lasts 3.6 years.

Blackrain

Reaction score
The owners are the ones that offered less practice time in exchange for them getting more money. The reduction in quality is on them as much as anyone. The reason why players left in droves a few years ago is because the owners collectively obfuscated and obstructed the truth about CTE.

There will be a new structure put in place but it will be collectively bargained just like the last time. It's the law.

Did they load them on boxcars I must have missed that
Yes the reduction in quality is on them thats why its up to them to take the steps to fix it

Reid1boys

Reaction score
cry me a river. ALL of these guys now know th ehealth risks. Are they all still willing to play? Yep. Why? Because the thought of making 40k a year for the next decade is not very appealing to most of them. Listen to some of them speak, and they would be lucky to make 40k a year. They will make their millions, then after they blow thorugh it in a few years, they will be whining to the NFL trying to get money out of them for all their health issues.

Look, I love the NFL. I do not ever want to see a player get hurt or have any future health issues..... BUT, we all know that is not going to happen. They are going to get hurt, and many will have future health issues. So.... chose to get paid big today and suffer the health issues later, or walk away, live lik eth erest of us Joes, and be healthy.

I believe I have serious issues with my memory due to breathing in burning oil wells in the middle east in 1991. I didnt get paid big dollars to be there, and nobody is feeling sympathy for me today. Why should we feel sorry for these guys today? I have respect fpr Gronk... he said football was brining him down in life.... so walk away. Just dont expect me to feel sorry for you..... or more importantly, walk away from thr NFL.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
most of the players initially named had sustained many injuries over their careers. by the time they're 40, certain body joints are 60. Charlie waters used to talk about how he would just fall down sometimes due to knee problems. this isn't just about money, it's about the physical pounding these guys take year after year.
*ya, before my knee surgery I'd be walking & sometimes that sucker wouldn't cooperate and stay locked in the mid stride bent position & I'd take a tumble ( it only happened twice&one time I'd caught hold of something to keep from going down,but that one tumble was impetus enough to have it scoped/ flapping torn stuff cut out)
* and you'd have to take into consideration as to these players who do play the game& see first hand / know when the Zebra corp can & often do redirect a games outcome, the League it's self is guilty to a certain extent in shouldering some of that blame ,ever since it pretty much stated that it's an entertainment based entity , & if you don't like it, go be entertained elsewhere.
That's bound to suck some driving wind outta' some former once driven players sails.

jnday

Reaction score
OK, then why would an owner EVER pay those contracts again unless it's a QB? There's no value there.

Just draft guys to replace them over and over. Rookie deals only on the roster. Period.
There is no reason to pay much for a QB unless he has proven himself as being on his way to elite.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what the big money does. And as much as I miss the old days, I can't honestly say I blame players. Football takes a toll on the body, and the reality is that it isn't just a game, it's their job, and most people like the idea of being able to retire early. Why wouldn't that also apply to football players?
And sadly, most fans never see these guys as real human beings. Their fandom makes these players gladiators, somehow seen as overpaid jocks who don’t appreciate the game or “how lucky they are” to be doing this for a living.

I’m always for the players getting as much money as they can and being careful to ensure they have a life after their playing days end. More and more stories are emerging about former players in their 50s struggling to live normal lives because of the trauma they imposed on their bodies. The 60 Minutes story on Tim Green last week was a recent sad example.

We are certainly going to see more and more NFL players retiring younger to preserve a better future for themselves and their families.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
'Twas a time when NFL players were about playing until they couldn't play anymore. Rack enough enough money, stats, and years in the league to plant their flag firmly in the league's history.

Not anymore. Today, the typical NFL career consists of two parts.

First, get drafted as highly as possible and play their tails off to create as much value and leverage as they can. Then, get that first massive payday, and BOOM, they're set for life already. Just play out that string in virtual cruise control until the bonus is covered, and it's off into the sunset.

Doug Baldwin. Joe Thomas. Calvin Johnson. Chris Borland. Even Andrew Luck recently. Rumors are that JJ Watt is about to hang it up. Jaylon Smith seems to already be looking forward to his post-career business interests. It's going viral.

That's the new and increasing goal of a very high percentage of players. Play for 6-7 years, and get out rich and healthy. It's not about success or records or accomplishment anymore. It's about the biggest pile of money as soon as possible, and finding an exit door.

So, should teams start to think twice about these big contracts? The Rams regret the Gurley deal. The Cardinals are getting little return out of the David Johnson deal. The league is full of heavy contracts that didn't pan out well for teams that wish they had a do-over.

So why pay anybody unless it's a quarterback? If some players are locking it down after they get that big signing bonus, then why owners commit to big contracts going forward?

If this trend continues, it could hurt players in the future. Teams may become much more gun-shy about these types of deals, and choose to just draft and release players at the end of their rookie deals as a policy. That means less money for players after that initial deal if teams are balking at big veteran contracts in the future.

How would Amari Cooper handle a massive pile of money? How will Zeke handle it? Jaylon and Leighton Vander Esch? Will Lawrence play with the same abandon now that he's rolling in dough?

Have these massive contracts killed the drive and desire for players in such a physically taxing game?

The days of the NFL lifers may be coming to an end. Records set by Emmitt, Rice, Strahan.....those are probably safe forever as players choose to play half as long as the greats did.

The new NFL career is upon us.

Can't say that I blame them... The long term health impacts of professional football says that is the smart play... Get the money and run.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
'Twas a time when NFL players were about playing until they couldn't play anymore. Rack enough enough money, stats, and years in the league to plant their flag firmly in the league's history.

First, get drafted as highly as possible and play their tails off to create as much value and leverage as they can. Then, get that first massive payday, and BOOM, they're set for life already. Just play out that string in virtual cruise control until the bonus is covered, and it's off into the sunset.

Doug Baldwin. Joe Thomas. Calvin Johnson. Chris Borland. Even Andrew Luck recently. Rumors are that JJ Watt is about to hang it up. Jaylon Smith seems to already be looking forward to his post-career business interests. It's going viral.

That's the new and increasing goal of a very high percentage of players. Play for 6-7 years, and get out rich and healthy. It's not about success or records or accomplishment anymore. It's about the biggest pile of money as soon as possible, and finding an exit door.

So, should teams start to think twice about these big contracts? The Rams regret the Gurley deal. The Cardinals are getting little return out of the David Johnson deal. The league is full of heavy contracts that didn't pan out well for teams that wish they had a do-over.

So why pay anybody unless it's a quarterback? If some players are locking it down after they get that big signing bonus, then why owners commit to big contracts going forward?

If this trend continues, it could hurt players in the future. Teams may become much more gun-shy about these types of deals, and choose to just draft and release players at the end of their rookie deals as a policy. That means less money for players after that initial deal if teams are balking at big veteran contracts in the future.

How would Amari Cooper handle a massive pile of money? How will Zeke handle it? Jaylon and Leighton Vander Esch? Will Lawrence play with the same abandon now that he's rolling in dough?

Have these massive contracts killed the drive and desire for players in such a physically taxing game?

The days of the NFL lifers may be coming to an end. Records set by Emmitt, Rice, Strahan.....those are probably safe forever as players choose to play half as long as the greats did.

Are we supposed to salute this post?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
They didn't leave in droves.

Borland, Willis, Lattimore, Smith, and Davis all retired in 2015 citing physical and mental health. That is like a quarter of their starters. There were dozens of frontline players under the age of 30 who retired in 2015-2016.

You been living under a rock or something?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Every player has the right to walk away from the game - unless you think slavery should be legal.

Players like Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson, even Luck: they never coasted after they got paid, and it's dishonest to suggest they did. They kept up their Pro Bowl level of play. They honored their end of the deal.

But these players have seen what happened to the last generation of players until they no longer could. Seau killing himself. Earl Campbell being driven around in a golf cart at UT games because he can no longer walk. And they decide that they'd rather walk away on their own terms and still have their memory when they're 50 rather than chasing records or adding $10 million more to the $80+ million they already have.

I think it's admirable, actually. Imagine spending your entire life working at a sport, a sport that's completely defined your identity (Troy Aikman talked about ordering a golf bag from someone and it arriving with a giant 8 stiched on the side, a decade after he retired. "I'm not '8'. My name's Troy.") and one that you've reached the absolute pinnacle of success at. And you just leave that all behind at 30, because you can still see the bigger picture.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Every player has the right to walk away from the game - unless you think slavery should be legal.

Players like Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson, even Luck: they never coasted after they got paid, and it's dishonest to suggest they did. They kept up their Pro Bowl level of play. They honored their end of the deal.

But these players have seen what happened to the last generation of players until they no longer could. Seau killing himself. Earl Campbell being driven around in a golf cart at UT games because he can no longer walk. And they decide that they'd rather walk away on their own terms and still have their memory when they're 50 rather than chasing records or adding $10 million more to the $80+ million they already have.

I think it's admirable, actually. Imagine spending your entire life working at a sport, a sport that's completely defined your identity (Troy Aikman talked about ordering a golf bag from someone and it arriving with a giant 8 stiched on the side, a decade after he retired. "I'm not '8'. My name's Troy.") and one that you've reached the absolute pinnacle of success at. And you just leave that all behind at 30, because you can still see the bigger picture.

and again.... retire. Its ok. If 16 planes all disappeared ala LOST this coming weekend, and all players and coaches disappeared forever from those planes. How long would we be without NFL football. Maybe for THIS season, and next year, every team would have new coaches, new players, and the stands would be full, and the ratings would be the same as always. These PLAYERS are not who we love. It is what they can do for our teams. As soon as they cant help our teams win, us fans have no loyalty to them. Hit the road and let the next young stud take their place.

I dont care about the players anymore than I care about the stunt man having jacked knees after destroying his body for 30 years to make action movies. And yes, they are my ENTERTAINMENT, nothing more. They wont be coming to myhouse for dinner anytime soon, and none of them care about me and my problems. Its a great relationship. They play football, I watch football. They get paid, I drink beer watching them. When they dont want to play anymore, another takes their place. When my beer is empty, another takes its' place.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score

Joe Thomas? Come on man, he was suffering early stage memory loss and a serious tear in his tricep after playing 10,363 consecutive snaps, the longest streak of its kind since they have been counting that stat in the late 1990's. Plus, he stayed that long on the suck *** Browns. That's dedication and love of the sport.