The New Orleans Saints face a salary-cap crisis in 2021

Techsass

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing the NFL won't find a creative way to work the numbers so that everybody can make it through this whacked out situation. $80-90m over the CAP deserves hardships, but they won't force any team to completely gut their roster.

John813

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing the NFL won't find a creative way to work the numbers so that everybody can make it through this whacked out situation. $80-90m over the CAP deserves hardships, but they won't force any team to completely gut their roster.

Think cap loaning from future will be a thing. I can't imagine most owners will be fine with a handful of teams being allowed above the cap without some future "punishments", such as cap loaning, for going over the set 21 cap+any rollover.

Teams that just thought in the short term shouldn't get an easy pass due to an unforseen issue stagnating or negatively affecting cap growth. Hell, last offseason teams were hearing rumors about possible empty stadiums and possible scheduling issues.

Even then, they still would of shed some contracts even if the 21 cap was going to be unaffected by any revenue drop.

Techsass

Reaction score
Think cap loaning from future will be a thing. I can't imagine most owners will be fine with a handful of teams being allowed above the cap without some future "punishments", such as cap loaning, for going over the set 21 cap+any rollover.

Teams that just thought in the short term shouldn't get an easy pass due to an unforseen issue stagnating or negatively affecting cap growth. Hell, last offseason teams were hearing rumors about possible empty stadiums and possible scheduling issues.

Even then, they still would of shed some contracts even if the 21 cap was going to be unaffected by any revenue drop.
The CAP has been going up about $10m each year. Even without the pandemic the CAP wasn't about to go up another $75m. The Saints already knew this off-season was going to require drastic measures.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It's really funny because I keep hearing different projections about the salary cap and a lot of them were saying they thought it would be closer to $195 million. The moves that they mention in the article clear up around 40 million in space for them and I am sure they have some high-dollar guys that they can restructure just like we always do. However the people that have talked about trading back or deck going to New Orleans it's pretty obvious to see that would be out of the question.

you completely missed the point of this article and what happens to teams that continue to restructure contracts putting money down the road. The Cowboys did that for the first 20 years of the cap and all it did was keep them in cap he11.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Nobody ever questioned any of these things..you said it was easy..if you think getting rid of all your good plauers is "easy" than sure..it's very easy
Lol, right. They're going into next year with an entirely gutted roster. In addition to all the cuts they're going to have to make, they're not going to be able to re-sign their own. Rankins, Marcus Williams, Anzalone, Hendrickson..

They haven't been real contenders for years, but they're totally done now. Not even really any point in trying to restructure guys, because they aren't going to be competitive regardless.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The NFL and NFLPA haven't decided on the cap for this year but the Saints are not the only one over a 175M cap. They've got quite a bit company.

The NFL and NFLPA decide what percentage of the revenue they get which has already been decided in the current CBA. The NFLPA has ZERO say and are not part of the negotiations in what the amount of money negotiated by the league and TV contracts is therefore what the cap will be.

JBS

Reaction score
Lol, right. They're going into next year with an entirely gutted roster. In addition to all the cuts they're going to have to make, they're not going to be able to re-sign their own. Rankins, Marcus Williams, Anzalone, Hendrickson..

They haven't been real contenders for years, but they're totally done now. Not even really any point in trying to restructure guys, because they aren't going to be competitive regardless.

Yeah, easy pill to swallow. Who needs all these good players

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
They can free up 75 million by:
Brees retiring, cutting Malcom Brown, Nick Eason, Lattimore(or trade), Taysom Hill, Janoris Jenkins, Emmanuel Sanders, Rankins, and then cutting or trading Ramczyk and Kwon Alexander.

Some of those guys will have trade value.

Guys like Cam Jordan Can restructure and save roughly 7mil for 2021.
Michael Thomas can be restructure, convert 11.6mil to a bonus, and save ~8mil in cap space.

Add in the cap isn't set, and the rumors the NFL may allow teams to borrow cap from future years.

It's really not that hard. They will have to shed some talent, but they will still have their young core locked up.

They will probably "rebuild" the next few years.

All your big idea will do is put more dead money on their cap. What you think they will save in salaries that aren't guaranteed, which at least Hill's is fully guaranteed for 2021, they lose with all the bonus money that was already paid that will count as dead money. Most people think Brees will retire but even he will put 11 mil in dead money on the cap. The idea of allowing teams to draw off future caps was discussed but was also thrown out as possibly just putting teams in the same position down the road as they are in now. Lastly the only time a team had shed so many vets and starters was the Cowboys the very first year of the cap because they were so far over the cap.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL and NFLPA decide what percentage of the revenue they get which has already been decided in the current CBA. The NFLPA has ZERO say and are not part of the negotiations in what the amount of money negotiated by the league and TV contracts is therefore what the cap will be.
You don't think there is some discussion between the two how to deal with this situation that none of them saw coming? They can do whatever they want to do together.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I'd still take him over any qb in the league right now.
He needs a new nickname, Michael Myers. Every time they think he's dead, there he is again. I've read some think he's not what he used to be but all I've seen is the same accuracy and zip he's always had.

GB want's to get to the SB, those Smith brothers are going to have to work some of the same magic they had to get to the NFCCG last season.

John813

Reaction score
All your big idea will do is put more dead money on their cap. What you think they will save in salaries that aren't guaranteed, which at least Hill's is fully guaranteed for 2021, they lose with all the bonus money that was already paid that will count as dead money. Most people think Brees will retire but even he will put 11 mil in dead money on the cap. The idea of allowing teams to draw off future caps was discussed but was also thrown out as possibly just putting teams in the same position down the road as they are in now. Lastly the only time a team had shed so many vets and starters was the Cowboys the very first year of the cap because they were so far over the cap.

Yes, there will be dead cap on most contracts, but there will be net savings.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You don't think there is some discussion between the two how to deal with this situation that none of them saw coming? They can do whatever they want to do together.

Do you really think the NFL that has the SOLE job of negotiating TV contracts is all of a sudden going to give that up to let the NFLPA have any say? They have agreed on things for this season like roster limits and covid protocols but to think the NFL is going to let the NFLPA in on negotiating the entire amount the TV networks will pay the LEAGUE, is foolishness. The NFLPA gets a predetermined percentage of the total amount the LEAGUE negotiates on TV contracts that are paid to the league. The league then allocates that predetermined percentage to the NFLPA.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Here's my take. Assuming a $195m cap, currently at a $278m commitment. Using OTC

Retirement: Drew Brees (25.1)
Restructure: Cam Jordan (9.6), Michael Thomas (8.9), Terron Armstead (6.8), Andrus Peat (6) = 31.3
Cut: Ryan Ramczyk (11.1), Kwon Alexander (13.4) = 24.5
June 1 Cut: Janoris Jenkins (10)
Extend: Marson Lattimore (7.4)
Notable FAs unsigned: Jared Cook, Sheldon Rankins, Marcus Williams, Trey Hendrickson, Alex Anzalone

Total Savings: 98.3 - $179m cap hit, not including draft picks.

They could do a lot more to tear it down, and that's probably what I would do, since they're stuck with Taysom at QB. I think they should June 1 cut Michael Thomas as well, because though there's dead money, you're still saving roughly ~15m per year over the life of the contract and that dead money isn't as significant on a rebuilding team.

Edit: I don't think they can actually split Brees' cap hit by putting him on the retirement list until after they have to be cap compliant, so they might need to find another $14m or s.

John813

Reaction score
Here's my take. Assuming a $195m cap, currently at a $278m commitment. Using OTC

Restructure: Cam Jordan (9.6), Michael Thomas (8.9), Terron Armstead (6.8), Andrus Peat (6) = 31.3
Notable FAs unsigned: Jared Cook, Sheldon Rankins, Marcus Williams, Trey Hendrickson, Alex Anzalone

They could do a lot more to tear it down, and that's probably what I would do, since they're stuck with Taysom at QB. I think they should June 1 cut Michael Thomas as well, because though there's dead money, you're still saving roughly ~15m per year over the life of the contract and that dead money isn't as significant on a rebuilding team.

Edit: I don't think they can actually split Brees' cap hit by putting him on the retirement list until after they have to be cap compliant, so they might need to find another $14m or s.

I've seen this posted by an "agent" on how to get around Brees cap hit

Brees has the NFL's fourth-largest 2021 salary cap number at $36.15 million. Assuming Brees retires, he and the Saints should agree to reduce his $25 million 2021 base salary to $1.075 million, his 2021 league minimum salary, in order for $23.925 million cap relief to be gained instantly. The Saints would need to carry Brees on the roster until June 2 to keep the $11.5 million in bonus proration relating to his voiding 2022 and 2023 contract years from becoming a 2021 cap charge.

IMO someone like Ramcyzk they could get picks for easily. A team like Miami would IMO be all over him to protect Tuas blindside. Minor thing as it still counts as a cut cap wise.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yes, there will be dead cap on most contracts, but there will be net savings.

That's all fine and good when there is no guaranteed contracts. Those guaranteed contracts mean whether they are on the team or not they get the money and that money goes straight to dead money. Also because of the bonus money already paid and the difference in a years salary and the total amount of bonus money paid that was averaged over the life on the contract is often no or very little real savings, certainly not enough to get them out of cap he11 and not anywhere close to the 75 mil you think it will be. There's a reason teams don't bring in fans to be their GM or capologists.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I've seen this posted by an "agent" on how to get around Brees cap hit

Brees has the NFL's fourth-largest 2021 salary cap number at $36.15 million. Assuming Brees retires, he and the Saints should agree to reduce his $25 million 2021 base salary to $1.075 million, his 2021 league minimum salary, in order for $23.925 million cap relief to be gained instantly. The Saints would need to carry Brees on the roster until June 2 to keep the $11.5 million in bonus proration relating to his voiding 2022 and 2023 contract years from becoming a 2021 cap charge.

IMO someone like Ramcyzk they could get picks for easily. A team like Miami would IMO be all over him to protect Tuas blindside. Minor thing as it still counts as a cut cap wise.
Yes, this is what I'm accounting for with Brees. Current cap hit is ~$36m, so you're saving ~$25m with that.

They could trade Ramczy, Lattimore, and probably a couple of other guys. But the market isn't going to be good for the first two because they're both on the final year of their deal and their contracts guarantee in March, before the draft. You might get a mid-round pick, but teams aren't going to be lining up.

Loso86

Reaction score
They can free up 75 million by:
Brees retiring, cutting Malcom Brown, Nick Eason, Lattimore(or trade), Taysom Hill, Janoris Jenkins, Emmanuel Sanders, Rankins, and then cutting or trading Ramczyk and Kwon Alexander.

Some of those guys will have trade value.

Guys like Cam Jordan Can restructure and save roughly 7mil for 2021.
Michael Thomas can be restructure, convert 11.6mil to a bonus, and save ~8mil in cap space.

Add in the cap isn't set, and the rumors the NFL may allow teams to borrow cap from future years.

It's really not that hard. They will have to shed some talent, but they will still have their young core locked up.

They will probably "rebuild" the next few years.
More than willing to trade for Lattimore and or Rankins

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

You obviously didn't get the point of this article of showing what happens when you restructure a bunch of contracts putting money down the road and what happens when they hit that road. Yes the saints are going to have to let some of their free agents walk and that is because of all the contracts they restructured in previous years that now have them is such cap problems now.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Agree that the Saints are in a cap mess.
But the Saints knew that Brees was nearing the end and tried to squeeze out 1 last run at a SB before moving on.
It didn't work and now they'll be in Dogsville for a couple of years, having to trade or release expensive vets, but I don't blame them for trying.
2022 & 2023 will likely yield high draft picks (plus whatever they get in the fire sale) to get a QB to rebuild around and in a couple of years they'll be out of cap hell and building around a young QB entering his prime, with money to spend.
It was a good bet, a good roll of the dice.
Brees basically got ousted by Brady.
I would take either in that bet.
Both exceptional and HOF locks.