The New Orleans Saints face a salary-cap crisis in 2021

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Me thinks that every team who signed QB's to Big Contracts, betting that the cap will continue to balloon, will be in trouble...
phil looking like they may dump wentz, garapolo is out in SF, rivers and brees retiring, trubisky out in chicago.
I think houston and seattle are 2 teams that will be hurt by a low cap this coming season,. possibly the rams

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The Cap doesn't apply for the Cowboys!:omg:

Just ask some folks here in the CZ.....hey Rockport care to give us your wisdom on the matter? :muttley:
I have numerous times but you’re not able to grasp the wisdom.

John813

Reaction score
Sounds good. But isn't it at the cost of losing 9 good players? What do you think it will cost to get 9 other players of comparable talent. Especially at cb and qb.

Yea they can figure out more creative ways. Restructures to Jordan, Thomas, Peat and others, re-signing Lattimore/RR and getting a lower 2021 cap hit.

All I did was a 5 minute exercise on how to cut cap.

I think they are in trouble short term. Maybe they keep Taysom at Qb. They'll probably find a way to keep either Ramczyk or Lattimore. Not sure on both.

Some guys like Alexander and Easton are easier cuts due to injury concerns.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the only cap I'm interested in....

81JBN4hWfLL._AC_SX425_.jpg
I own one of these.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
This is all funny. People acting like the Saints should have planned 2-3 years ago for Covid. They made their run with what they had and now because an unprecedented situation they are going to have to make some significant moves. If this was a normal year, the cap for 2021 would have been somewhere around 210m. So they would have been in a hole, but not anywhere like they would have been. I would not be surprised if the League comes up with a way to help resolve things. But if not the Saints will have two options. They can basically do what the Dolphins did before the 2019-20 season and trade off anyone of value with a contract and release players that didn't play up to their contract. With good coaching and smart moves, you can retool quickly. In Coach Flores first year they struggled early with a ton of young players but finished competitively at the end of the season to go 5-11. Just one year later, they made it to 10-6. They had $40m in dead cap in 2020....they have less than 500k going into this season. So their cap hell and total rebuild has gone pretty well, and they have cap space to play with going forward.

So, if you are New Orleans you are going to look for a QB to develop, unless you think Taysom Hill can be a top 10 guy. You have decent talent on the roster but will look to take a step back for a year or two as you focus on the draft as you get your cap back under control. If over the next couple years you don't think you have the leader you need, you will have plenty of cap room look to free agency. Basically, no outside free agents of significance are signed this offseason or next.

Drew Brees doesn't officially retire and Saints make him a June cut, picking up $25m in room. His cap number in 2021 goes from $36.15m to $11.15m. His 2022 cap hit before the move was $11.15m...and it remains that amount.

Cameron Jordan is likely to play out his contract. Using overthecap's calculator, you can gain $10-11m depending on whether you restructure or extend him. So you are at 35m saved.

Terron Armstead is in the last year of his deal, is a good LT and is only 29 now. Again you can pick up 6.7-8m with a restructure or extension. He is a guy you likely would extend for a 4-5 year deal....so I am going with the 8m number. That is 43m saved. And the only player loss is the one you knew you would have: Brees.

Michael Thomas signed a new deal a couple years ago built for restructuring. Doing it saves 8.8m. Up to almost 52m saved without a loss of talent.

Taysom Hill may be the QB of the near future, he is in the last year of his deal and an extension would give you 8.9m in savings. You have your defacto starter while you are trying to develop a rookie. We are talking about a head coach that is pretty good with QBs. Up to 61m for this year.

Marshon Lattimore is in the last year of his deal. HE would be a guy they would look to extend, and overthecap says they could save up to 7.4m by doing so. Around 68m in cap space saved.

Heck, this is easier than expected and we haven't even started cutting people. Let's take a break from restructures and extensions and bring out the turk.

Emmanuel Sanders....June cut, buh bye. Saves 6m this year. Up to 74m saved. He's a good receiver but not a difference maker.

Kwon Alexander, been nice to know ya. 13.5m savings. That's 87.5m. Again, a good player but not a difference maker at LB. LB is one of the easier positions to replace.

Janoris Jenkins, wrong side of 30, cut now, save $7m and get him off the books sooner. 94.5m. He isn't going to be around for the next window.

Alright, another restructure....Andrus Peat, young starting OL with a long term contract. Can you say restructure? Can save 6m, upping freed space to 100.5m.

Let's keep that OL together. Ryan Ramczyk in the last year of his deal, and extension can save up to $8m according to overthecap. That is 108.5m. So even in a worst case scenario. We have cleared enough money to get them out of the hole.

Doesn't even consider tradeable talent.

Oh wait, for ***** and giggles let's cut the vet punter and placekicker. Saves 4m, probably enough to sign the draft picks.

Their GM has been around and knows the business. They will get it done and done without as much drama as people think. Are they going to be a Super Bowl Contender in 2021 or even 2022? Probably not...but they could be in great shape in 2023.

People are trying to pin Dallas' problems for the last 25 years on the salary cap. The salary cap hasn't been the problem. The crappy coaching staffs have been the reason. Garrett and Phillips were bums. Parcells had them on the right track but wasn't up for finishing the task. Dave Campo? Chang Gailey? The lack of an inspiring coach has been the downfall.

Techsass

Reaction score
The NFL is very generous when it comes to letting teams figure out how to get back under the CAP.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Marshawn Lattimore and Jaworski Jenkins may be cut? We definitely need to get them in Dallas.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Whatever the cap ends up being, Stephen Jones will pretend it cripples us.
Doesn't someone around here have Stephen's quote as their signature and which he basically says the salary cap doesn't stop them from doing things?

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
One of these days a QB with a hundred mil of guaranteed money will have a career ending injury and a team will be hosed for years.
I don't really think that is the case because quarterback salaries keep going up because the salary cap keeps going up. I think the percentage is pretty similar over time as to what the top quarterbacks get.

John813

Reaction score
@Fla Cowpoke do you know if for extensions for players on the 5th year option, that if they sign a new deal the base salary can drop to minimum for that year(and then throw that money on the new deal) and the cap hit is min salary+ prorated bonus?

So like Ryan Ramcyzk, if he signs the exact deal Conklin did (3 -42mil 15mil signing)

Goes from 11mil salary+ 0 bonus in 2021 to

1.022 mil + 3.75mil prorate = 4.772mil cap hit for 2021?

(15mil/4years = 3.75mil)

And that's just keeping it simple with no voidable years at end to drop cap hit for current year.

Cause in reality he'll walk away with 16mil this year, 15mil up front. Then they can guarantee some base salary in 2022+ for security for him.

Flamma

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing the NFL won't find a creative way to work the numbers so that everybody can make it through this whacked out situation. $80-90m over the CAP deserves hardships, but they won't force any team to completely gut their roster.

Since 2015 the cap has been going up a steady 10-12 million a year. Even if this year was normal and the cap went up as usual to around 210 million, The Saints would still have to gut their team.

Flamma

Reaction score
many fans believe the cap is done with monopoly money. how often have you seen someone post they could come up with 20-30 million tomorrow if they wanted. how? sell marvin gardens or boardwalk place?

It's Park Place!

dckid

Reaction score
The Joneses have struggled to build a winner in the Cap Era. I believe the current cap situation of the Saints should serve as notice to the rest of the league of how kicking contract dollars to future years can become a problem.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-cap-experts-are-unsure-how-theyll-escape-it/
You see this the problem us Cowboy fans have. The last 4 years the Saints have been an elite team and should have gone to at least one Super Bowl. Two years ago the Rams got away with the crazy PI penalty, the year before it was a miraculous Stephon Diggs play that should never have happened. The Saints have been going all out to try an get to and win a SB. I don't blame them one bit. That is what an organization should do. Should they have gone 7-9 or 8-8? Jerry Jones is a loser, moronic owner. His goal is 8-8 every year. Super Bowls do not matter, 26 years of not winning a second round playoff game shows all the results you need. Sometimes you have to think about process over results. The process is what makes teams consistent and great.
The perfect example is how the Cowboys acquired Amari Cooper, that was a clear results over process. If you remember, the Cowboys had a top 5 pick when they traded their number 1 pick to the Raiders. At the time it made absolutely no sense. Even Jerry said the trade would make sense the following year. But Cooper came in and unlocked the offense in 2018. In that case Bad process ended up in good results. But the trade at the time made no sense.
Great process will lead to great results.