CFZ The NFC is there for the taking

conner01

Reaction score
Problem is this team is likely going to have to do this on the road. Now on the road in Detroit? Not that big a deal but road games at San Fran or Philly in January loom large. That Arizona loss is going to haunt them and the reality is even if they were to go 9-0 over the remainder of the season, the Eagles likely would still win the division due to tiebreakers (unless the Eagles did the unthinkable and lost to a woeful Giants team). And what are the odds we go undefeated anyway?
That AZ loss was huge

CCBoy

Reaction score
When scanning the NFC to assess which teams are most likely to duke it out for the NFC championship, there are essentially 4 teams in two tiers that should be considered “realistic“ contenders. I’m basing it on current standing and what the team has done over the last year and a half. Things can and will change though because we have 8 games left in this season.

TIER ONE (2 teams). These are clearly the best teams based on last year and this year so far.
  • eagles- 8-1 record; have gone 22-4 in last 26 regular season games (Last yr and this yr combined)
  • 49ers- 6-3 record; have beaten us 3 straight times since ‘21 and have gone 19-7 in last 26 regular season games.
TIER TWO (2 teams) These teams are clearly good but need to be more consistent.
  • Cowboys- 6-3 record; are 18-8 in last 26 reg season games; have shown moments of dominance and also moments where they shrink against niners and eagles.
  • lions- 7-2 record currently; are 16-10 in last 26 regular season games; lack consistency and haven’t been in the playoffs since 2014.
BOTTOM LINE:
The NFC is there for the taking most likely with one of these 4 teams. Which is one reason I was disappointed that our FO did not shore up this roster with a trade like most contenders did by the deadline. Didn’t have to be a “splash” trade. Even a depth enhancer would have been nice. Oh well.

WHAT THE COWBOYS MUST SHOW TO BE A REAL CONTENDER:
  • Show some consistency. Teams that win in the playoffs are the ones who are consistent and reliable. “Consistency is the habit of winners” as the old saying goes.
  • Must win against the tougher teams on our schedule. This team needs some confidence that it can win against the better teams. We have killed lesser opponents (except cards) but stumbled against the niners and eagles.
  • Show some improvement in the OL’s performance. Teams that win multiple playoff games have strong play in the trenches. Our OL has been very inconsistent. Run game needs to return.
  • Must show they are mentally/physically tough. Many fans here hate to admit it but the Cowboys have been soft, especially mentally for far too long. The Cowboys must show they are tough enough to win when the stakes are high. Teams that win playoff games are very tough.
  • Must stop the stupid penalties. The Cowboys lead the league in penalties and worse, lead the league in pre-snap penalties. A lack of attention to detail and focus will get you beat against the better teams in the playoffs. The lining up off sides, the delay of game, false starts and getting into fights with opponents are the habits of teams that lose playoff games.
  • Get hot at the right time. Teams that go on deep playoff runs usually go into the playoffs playing their best football. When was the last time we could say that about the Cowboys?
Again, the NFC is there for the taking. Can this team do what it takes?
Good grouping of what affects rhythm and then momentums going into the playoffs. Us as Cowboys fans should well know those elements of accountability within the next 5 games of the regular season.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Divisional round playoff exit coming soon to a tv near you.
I understand that feeling. And it may happen again. But I’m willing to wait and see it play out. Whatever anyone thinks of Big Mac as HC, he has brought back to back 12 win seasons and back to back playoff seasons for the first time in 28 years.

Last year this team won a road playoff game for the first time in 30 years. And the team currently has a 12 game home winning streak, something we never came close to under the last 4 HCs including Parcells. And we have a very good chance of making the playoffs for the third straight year which is another thing that hasn’t happened in three decades.

Am I predicting “this is the year”? No. In fact, until the Cowboys prove they can at least win a divisional playoff game and appear in a conference championship game for the first time in 28 years, I will only believe it when it happens. That’s what nearly 3 decades of poor playoff performances have done.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Right. We need to win all our NFC games. However we need to beat Miami, as Philly best them already, So that Buffalo game is a common game as well.
Tie breakers are in favor of Philly way too much right now. They are 6-0 in the NFC so far, we are 3-3.
So yeah we will most likely need to finish 1 game better. Or as you mentioned, drop a game to NYG.

Philly pretty much need to lose to SF, Seattle, and us. And drop another in an upset loss.
I'm looking forward to handling the Eagles, Detroit, Buffalo, and Miami.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I understand that feeling. And it may happen again. But I’m willing to wait and see it play out. Whatever anyone thinks of Big Mac as HC, he has brought back to back 12 win seasons and back to back playoff seasons for the first time in 28 years.

Last year this team won a road playoff game for the first time in 30 years. And the team currently has a 12 game home winning streak, something we never came close to under the last 4 HCs including Parcells. And we have a very good chance of making the playoffs for the third straight year which is another thing that hasn’t happened in three decades.

Am I predicting “this is the year”? No. In fact, until the Cowboys prove they can at least win a divisional playoff game and appear in a conference championship game for the first time in 28 years, I will only believe it when it happens. That’s what nearly 3 decades of poor playoff performances have done.
That level isn't to snooze about. I has always been historicsally a strong and respectable level entering the playoffs...just the way it is.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Philly is winning the division, unless Hurts gets hurt, which I hope happens, and I will sacrifice a jar of Ragu to the Flying Spaghetti monster in order to make it come to fruition.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cowboys are 0-2 vs tier 1 teams but have a chance to begin really show what they can do vs some currently good teams starting with seattle.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Four. Detroit did not make the playoffs this year.

If you're talking just this year, then only two as Buffalo is not currently a playoff team.
It's including both. Happy?

Does this kind of technicality really change the point?

rambo2

Reaction score
Philly is winning the division, unless Hurts gets hurt, which I hope happens, and I will sacrifice a jar of Ragu to the Flying Spaghetti monster in order to make it come to fruition.
If the Eagles lose to the Chiefs this week, the division is wide open.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Eagles lose to the Chiefs this week, the division is wide open.
And as I’ve said all along, the NFL is completely unpredictable and we are only halfway through the roller coaster ride. Every week will have surprises. Part of what makes it so fun.

doomsday808

Reaction score
I think's going to come down to the OL, health and performance. Give Dak time in the pocket and help open up the running game.

CWR

Reaction score
Problem is this team is likely going to have to do this on the road. Now on the road in Detroit? Not that big a deal but road games at San Fran or Philly in January loom large. That Arizona loss is going to haunt them and the reality is even if they were to go 9-0 over the remainder of the season, the Eagles likely would still win the division due to tiebreakers (unless the Eagles did the unthinkable and lost to a woeful Giants team). And what are the odds we go undefeated anyway?

They don't have to lose to the Giants for us to pass them up.

If we beat them they have a one game lead and the likely tie breaker.

Just their next 3 games they could easily lose 2 of 3 or all 3. If they want the division they will legitimately have to earn it regardless of our AZ flop.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Let's hope the Eagles stumble, next 3 weeks before our 2nd meeting is where it gets interesting.

30H8iDO.jpg
It should be advantage Dallas playing Philly after they battle the 49ers then have to come to Dallas.

zack

Reaction score
Don’t be mistaken. Dallas traditionally hasn’t played that great in Detroit. It’s a tough place to play especially when the team is good. Unfortunately I was there for the only playoff win in 1991.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Personally, I see Dallas on an upward trajectory. My theory is they were holding Lamb back, because they're trying to avoid paying him like a #1 WR in the league and also still manage to sign Parsons..

Motorola

Reaction score
Another factor to consider as the teams play out the remainder of the season is that some that conference record could come into place for a tibreaker. Of the seven NFC teams currently occupying the playoff spots (division leads and wildcard slots), the Cowboys have by far the worst record - currently 3-3. The other 6 contenders:
4-1...Lions and Forty-niners
5-1...Seahawks
6-2...Vikings
6-0...Eagles
Racking up 3 more wins in the NFC over the next 3 weeks greatly reduces the chance conference record will be a stumbling block.