CFZ The NFC is there for the taking

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Don’t be mistaken. Dallas traditionally hasn’t played that great in Detroit. It’s a tough place to play especially when the team is good. Unfortunately I was there for the only playoff win in 1991.
You've been around a long while, like even back at the Austin360 days. Glad to see you around.

Kwyn

Reaction score
When scanning the NFC to assess which teams are most likely to duke it out for the NFC championship, there are essentially 4 teams in two tiers that should be considered “realistic“ contenders. I’m basing it on current standing and what the team has done over the last year and a half. Things can and will change though because we have 8 games left in this season.

TIER ONE (2 teams). These are clearly the best teams based on last year and this year so far.
  • eagles- 8-1 record; have gone 22-4 in last 26 regular season games (Last yr and this yr combined)
  • 49ers- 6-3 record; have beaten us 3 straight times since ‘21 and have gone 19-7 in last 26 regular season games.
TIER TWO (2 teams) These teams are clearly good but need to be more consistent.
  • Cowboys- 6-3 record; are 18-8 in last 26 reg season games; have shown moments of dominance and also moments where they shrink against niners and eagles.
  • lions- 7-2 record currently; are 16-10 in last 26 regular season games; lack consistency and haven’t been in the playoffs since 2014.
BOTTOM LINE:
The NFC is there for the taking most likely with one of these 4 teams. Which is one reason I was disappointed that our FO did not shore up this roster with a trade like most contenders did by the deadline. Didn’t have to be a “splash” trade. Even a depth enhancer would have been nice. Oh well.

WHAT THE COWBOYS MUST SHOW TO BE A REAL CONTENDER:
  • Show some consistency. Teams that win in the playoffs are the ones who are consistent and reliable. “Consistency is the habit of winners” as the old saying goes.
  • Must win against the tougher teams on our schedule. This team needs some confidence that it can win against the better teams. We have killed lesser opponents (except cards) but stumbled against the niners and eagles.
  • Show some improvement in the OL’s performance. Teams that win multiple playoff games have strong play in the trenches. Our OL has been very inconsistent. Run game needs to return.
  • Must show they are mentally/physically tough. Many fans here hate to admit it but the Cowboys have been soft, especially mentally for far too long. The Cowboys must show they are tough enough to win when the stakes are high. Teams that win playoff games are very tough.
  • Must stop the stupid penalties. The Cowboys lead the league in penalties and worse, lead the league in pre-snap penalties. A lack of attention to detail and focus will get you beat against the better teams in the playoffs. The lining up off sides, the delay of game, false starts and getting into fights with opponents are the habits of teams that lose playoff games.
  • Get hot at the right time. Teams that go on deep playoff runs usually go into the playoffs playing their best football. When was the last time we could say that about the Cowboys?
Again, the NFC is there for the taking. Can this team do what it takes?
This is why we keep @Bobhaze around

Thanks man!

Kwyn

Reaction score
1. NFC has been there for the taking last 2 years and weve done nothing

2. We cant run the ball and that wont get it done against these teams. We had a golden opportunity to get a real RB at the trade deadline but we crapped the bed. We might win 2 in post season if Dak plays lights out but no SB IMO. Dak cannot carry the team for 4 straight weeks against the best teams. It will be rinse snd repeat barring a miracle. Jerry and Dak can sell it as progress but it is a real opportunity wasted.
Just curious

What “golden opportunity” was there and what “real opportunity” are you talking about.

Surely it’s not Henry because he didn’t get traded.

This isn’t Madden and it’s not the NFLCowboyZone.

If you have some insider information that Henry was rejected then you’re just shooting Roman candles into the sky and calling it a meteor.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
When scanning the NFC to assess which teams are most likely to duke it out for the NFC championship, there are essentially 4 teams in two tiers that should be considered “realistic“ contenders. I’m basing it on current standing and what the team has done over the last year and a half. Things can and will change though because we have 8 games left in this season.

TIER ONE (2 teams). These are clearly the best teams based on last year and this year so far.
  • eagles- 8-1 record; have gone 22-4 in last 26 regular season games (Last yr and this yr combined)
  • 49ers- 6-3 record; have beaten us 3 straight times since ‘21 and have gone 19-7 in last 26 regular season games.
TIER TWO (2 teams) These teams are clearly good but need to be more consistent.
  • Cowboys- 6-3 record; are 18-8 in last 26 reg season games; have shown moments of dominance and also moments where they shrink against niners and eagles.
  • lions- 7-2 record currently; are 16-10 in last 26 regular season games; lack consistency and haven’t been in the playoffs since 2014.
BOTTOM LINE:
The NFC is there for the taking most likely with one of these 4 teams. Which is one reason I was disappointed that our FO did not shore up this roster with a trade like most contenders did by the deadline. Didn’t have to be a “splash” trade. Even a depth enhancer would have been nice. Oh well.

WHAT THE COWBOYS MUST SHOW TO BE A REAL CONTENDER:
  • Show some consistency. Teams that win in the playoffs are the ones who are consistent and reliable. “Consistency is the habit of winners” as the old saying goes.
  • Must win against the tougher teams on our schedule. This team needs some confidence that it can win against the better teams. We have killed lesser opponents (except cards) but stumbled against the niners and eagles.
  • Show some improvement in the OL’s performance. Teams that win multiple playoff games have strong play in the trenches. Our OL has been very inconsistent. Run game needs to return.
  • Must show they are mentally/physically tough. Many fans here hate to admit it but the Cowboys have been soft, especially mentally for far too long. The Cowboys must show they are tough enough to win when the stakes are high. Teams that win playoff games are very tough.
  • Must stop the stupid penalties. The Cowboys lead the league in penalties and worse, lead the league in pre-snap penalties. A lack of attention to detail and focus will get you beat against the better teams in the playoffs. The lining up off sides, the delay of game, false starts and getting into fights with opponents are the habits of teams that lose playoff games.
  • Get hot at the right time. Teams that go on deep playoff runs usually go into the playoffs playing their best football. When was the last time we could say that about the Cowboys?
Again, the NFC is there for the taking. Can this team do what it takes?
Lol It’s no more there for the taking than any other year.

plasticman

Reaction score
I'm going to be very interested in the 6-3 Seattle Seahawks upcoming schedule.

Next 5 games:

@ Rams
49ers
@Cowboys
@49ers
Eagles

Basically, they are an average team so far that that has prospered with an easy schedule. The only impressive victory was against the Lions. However, this is a team with a good mix of veterans and younger players with a roster composed of Seattle draft picks, six 1sts and ten 2nds. I believe they would have had the potential to peak later in the season were it not for the brutal schedule coming up.

They may not be in the contender mix but they can definitely influence the outcome of the NFC. They are going to sneak up on someone, hopefully not the Cowboys.

They have a capable QB, they have a talented RB mix of last season's 2nd round pick Kenneth Walker and this season's 2nd round pick Zach Charbonnet.

In this year's draft, they added 1st round pick WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba to Tyler Lockett and D.K. Metcalf. They also have ex-Bronco TE Noah Fant. Their O-line is a work in progress but the majority are young draft picks from the three most recent drafts.

Still, I wouldn't underestimate a team coached by Pete Carroll. Both the Eagles and 49ers are playing at Seattle and this could benefit the Cowboys.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We have to win the conference imo to have any shot at a Super Bowl.

We just aren’t the same team on the road.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Let's hope the Eagles stumble, next 3 weeks before our 2nd meeting is where it gets interesting.

30H8iDO.jpg
It’s odd that graphics like this only show the games leading up to the next meeting between these teams. All the media talks about is how it ‘might’ be possible that these teams may be closer in record when they meet again. I suppose that’s true. What I can’t figure out is why they never show the schedule of these teams after they play again. I suppose those games aren’t relevant. It’s like they assume the season ends on December 10th

ShortRound

Reaction score
It’s odd that graphics like this only show the games leading up to the next meeting between these teams. All the media talks about is how it ‘might’ be possible that these teams may be closer in record when they meet again. I suppose that’s true. What I can’t figure out is why they never show the schedule of these teams after they play again. I suppose those games aren’t relevant. It’s like they assume the season ends on December 10th
I think it's just a narrative this post was trying to show, two NFC East rivals, etc. they love a good storyline.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Philly is winning the division, unless Hurts gets hurt, which I hope happens, and I will sacrifice a jar of Ragu to the Flying Spaghetti monster in order to make it come to fruition.
Do you really hope Jalen Hurts get injured?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
SF has proven to be beatable and our game against the Eagles has shown we are capable of beating them so I do think the entire conference can be had by the Cowboys. Just get in the postseason tournament and get hot.

Verdict

Reaction score
A lot can happen. One critical injury to the competition can derail their season. We are WAY overdue in that area for a positive break.

Dakota

Reaction score
Stop it. SF is our daddy, and we will never beat philly in the post season. Why do you do this to yourself? Haven't the last 27 years taught you anything?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Must stop the stupid penalties. The Cowboys lead the league in penalties and worse, lead the league in pre-snap penalties. A lack of attention to detail and focus will get you beat against the better teams in the playoffs. The lining up off sides, the delay of game, false starts and getting into fights with opponents are the habits of teams that lose playoff games.
wasnt that one of the things mike was supposed to fix in the offseason ?? or just the first game back lol.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Upon the return of Philadelphia at Dallas, the teams could well be tied...that's my prediction.

KC and SF both give them a loss...while the Cowboys run the field 'till then.

CCBoy

Reaction score
wasnt that one of the things mike was supposed to fix in the offseason ?? or just the first game back lol.
The offensive line just got back fully after a year and a half not together. That takes some time back before they perform as they remember. There is still a time lag in executing all together and at standard. That creates mistakes.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Stop it. SF is our daddy, and we will never beat philly in the post season. Why do you do this to yourself? Haven't the last 27 years taught you anything?
Oh, the running conflict has been there since Jerry Jones purchased the team...and results have always been up and down throughout...BETWEEN San Francisco and Dallas. Always competitive...win or loss by BOTH.