The NFL has to do something about RB compensation

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
NFL doesn’t have to do anything. The players union needs to. The NFL isn’t going to pay backs better out of the kindness of their heart.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Players wanting a bigger piece of the pie hasn’t lost the nfl any fans.

2. Where did I once say “no matter the consequences”. Nowhere did I say that or even infer it.
1. How can a team pay every player what the players think they're worth?

2. Why bother signing a contract if you're not going to honor it?

3. I've been on the side of Zeke remaining with the team. The idea he should get to renegotiate his contract or hold out is weak, at best. Thing is, this is probably fake new and being pushed by some fans.

4. How about honoring your contract and then cashing in?

HungryLion

Reaction score
1. How can a team pay every player what the players think they're worth?

2. Why bother signing a contract if you're not going to honor it?

3. I've been on the side of Zeke remaining with the team. The idea he should get to renegotiate his contract or hold out is weak, at best. Thing is, this is probably fake new and being pushed by some fans.

1. Did you not read the earlier posts in the thread about coming up with ideas of how? The whole point of the thread is about ideas of how they can make it easier to teams to pay RB’s commensurate with their value. Not just pay every player what “they think they’re worth”. I don’t know if you’re intentionally misquoting what I’m saying or just don’t understand the points.

2. Stop with the tired signing a contract if not going to honor it. NFL teams terminate player contracts all the time, all year long. Why do they sign them, if they aren’t going to honor them? Unless of course you think the NFL should have guaranteed contracts like MLB, NHL and NBA.

Little Jr

Reaction score
You’re discounting the fact that “the players” who agreed to the rookie structure were all players already in the league. Kids in college and high school right now never agreed to it.

The rookie contracts screw players who produce at a high level while they are stuck in their contract and can’t renegotiate for 3 years
Not discounting it at all. Just like any job, you go in with rules that were made before you worked there. If your a union hand, then when you first hire on whatever you get was what someone else collective bargain. If you dont like the rule then you go to your union rep and try to get brought up at the next negotiations. There is a new cba coming up, do you think the players are going to vote to get rid of the rookie cap? I think there is 0% chance that will happen. At best they're knock the years down to 4 for 1st round pics with no 5th yr option. Or bump the pay up a bit. But there will no drastic changes to the rookie cap.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Not discounting it at all. Just like any job, you go in with rules that were made before you worked there. If your a union hand, then when you first hire on whatever you get was what someone else collective bargain. If you dont like the rule then you go to your union rep and try to get brought up at the next negotiations. There is a new cba coming up, do you think the players are going to vote to get rid of the rookie cap? I think there is 0% chance that will happen. At best they're knock the years down to 4 for 1st round pics with no 5th yr option. Or bump the pay up a bit. But there will no drastic changes to the rookie cap.

The veterans probably won’t. That’s the point though. I’m not saying it will happen. I never said it will
Happen. The thread simply asks for ideas on how things could be improved for running backs.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The NFL is trending towards eliminating the position. Pretty soon they'll make a rule where you can only pass, no handoffs unless you're at or inside the enemy 2 yard line.
The exact opposite of the very beginnings of American Football.
My oh my.

Altestic

Reaction score
The exact opposite of the very beginnings of American Football.
My oh my.
Just like with the state of the country this generation vs its beginnings.... but I don't want to get into politics because I don't want to get in trouble on this board.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL is trending towards eliminating the position. Pretty soon they'll make a rule where you can only pass, no handoffs unless you're at or inside the enemy 2 yard line.
I don’t think so Tim

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Just like with the state of the country this generation vs its beginnings.... but I don't want to get into politics because I don't want to get in trouble on this board.
No no...
Go to town!

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The NFL doesn't have to do anything the market determines their salaries.

No way would I pay Melvin Gordon as a top 5 running back. He has had one injury after another and has 1 thousand yard season.

Little Jr

Reaction score
The veterans probably won’t. That’s the point though. I’m not saying it will happen. I never said it will
Happen. The thread simply asks for ideas on how things could be improved for running backs.
Never said you did. That's what the ? means, Its a question.

And actually the vets might go for it.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...25/sports/nfl-draft-rookie-contracts.amp.html

http://www.footballperspective.com/even-nfl-veterans-realize-they-screwed-over-rookies

The vets just won't be willing to give up anything of importance to do it and the owners would ask for A LOT to give it up.

Here an article on how contracts would look without the rookie cap. It would go back to the days of one bad pick, especially in the 1st round and even more in the top 10, would set the franchise back 3-5 years.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...ook-if-the-rookie-wage-scale-didnt-exist/amp/

Silly

Reaction score
Hold your horse Amigo. For every Zeke, who deserves a bigger contract, there are many RBS who wash out of the NFL in one or two seasons.

cern

Reaction score
Qb's make too much. Rb's make too little. The problem will sort out itself.

Reactions: G2

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Not all QB’s make too much. Dak has been the most underpaid player in the entire league the past 3 seasons, but I don’t recall him ever complaining about it.

If Zeke continues to produce and shows he can be trusted off the field then he will earn a big contract - next year.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Full disclosure, I'm a running back guy. Love the running game. Emmitt is my favorite Cowboy of all time. Most of my all-time favorite football players are running backs.

That said, the NFL has to do something for these guys contractually. The system is WAY unfair for them.

Most draft picks that become great players take a good while to get there, often 2-3 years or more at the pro level. Then, they're rewarded with a HUGE contract after their rookie deal, and often another huge contract or two after after that one.

But not running backs.

Highly-drafted running backs are generally elite the moment they arrive at rookie OTAs. They're already about as good as they'll ever be, and they step right in and dominate from day one.

Gurley, Peterson, Sanders, Gore, George, Emmitt, Barkley, Zeke, McCoy, Andrews, Dickerson, McCutcheon, Campbell, Sims, Payton, and Dorsett (when Landry finally got over himself and put Tony in for good). There are hundreds of examples of them.

And now Zeke Elliott, who, off-field issues aside, is the most impactful player on the team and has been since his opening game. He's usually the best player on the field in any given game.

The league needs to address the fact that rookie running backs are WAY underpaid compared to the impact other players have initially, and the second contract potential those players have in comparison to running backs.

Often, these backs are a huge percentage of their teams offense, but take such a beating early that they go downhill quickly and never get paid like other players. They're the cheap help, although they are ultra critical to team success.

That needs to change because I don't want to see the best young running backs youth football insist on being converted to other positions over earning potential. Used to be that the best players wanted to play running back. Now, it's like financial death sentence.

Perhaps some sort of cap exception to pay them better? A different rookie scale for running backs to go with it? It's got to be simple to address.

Save the position. Pay these guys.
I agree that something needs to change for it to be fair.
I think RB's should have a shorter rookie contract, like 2 years max.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Ya, I feel really bad for NFL running backs. Make separate rules for running backs and you’re opening a HUGE can of worms. Having said that, it’ll never happen.

The snowflake solution....

Flag+Football+-+Quick+Release+Belts+-+Set+of+12_L.jpg

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Football players get paid more than Engineers, Military personnel, Firemen, etc..

When engineers, military personnel, and fireman can get TV networks to pay billions to broadcast their work you'll have a valid comparison.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When engineers, military personnel, and fireman can get TV networks to pay billions to broadcast their work you'll have a valid comparison.

Captain Obvious.

I said fair.

Obviously we all understand market value.

iamliko22

Reaction score
Probably only way would be to set a minimum and Max for positions.. and set the rb minimum higher than most positions.