The NFL has to do something about RB compensation

J-man

Reaction score
I have been saying that the trend of drafting good RBs in the later rounds will begin to die off and teams will start to revert back to the days when the really good RBs were taking in RD 1. The reason for that, is the 5th year option you get with RD 1 guys. Teams know that RBs (who are used heavily) have life spans that are about 5-8 years long, with 8 being max for almost all backs. They are going to want to grab the top backs early in RD 1, so they can have them cheap for 5 years. After that they can either tag them for another year or two if they choose, or they will move on. Especially if the player wants the huge $ second contract.
I see that happening with Zeke here. Unless Jerry gets involved and insists on overpaying him, right when he will begin to decline.

It does kind of stink for RBs but i don't see it changing anytime soon. How could it? If they league steps in and changes the rookie scale for them, than other players of high use/wear and tear will demand the same thing. It's a rabbit hole I don't think they will want to go down.

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
Long thread and I haven't read every post so my apologies if this obvious point has been made. If the RB is not happy about the contract, they don't have to sign it. Nobody is putting a gun to their head. As with every profession, a person goes into their career with their eyes wide open. If someone with the talent of Zeke doesn't know the "rules of the game" when it comes to compensation and the value of the position in the eyes of the league, they are a complete idiot and need to fire everyone who gives them advice.

As my late father always pointed out...and as I point out to everyone who mentions fairness...show me where it says life will be fair.

erod

Reaction score
I agree but you can’t advantage one position vs another. The answer is probably changing the rookie contract length. No more of these 5th year options. I think you make the max rookie contract 3 years with a team/player 4th year option. Both parties have to agree if not player becomes a FA. People will argue about the QB position but presumably by year 3 you know what you got and should be locking that player up. It is a mess. Totally unfair to RBs.
I think it should be tied to snaps played and production somehow.

A 5th-round pick like Richard Sherman or Josh Norman shouldn't have to play four seasons to get compensated to what their draft position should have been. That's a lot of uncompensated risk they have to take.

And Dak is WAY under-compensated given how much he's played. No, he's not worth $35 million, but he's worth far more than what he's getting.

There should be a way to correct player personnel idiocy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube. The RB is no longer the star he once was and the pay scale reflects that.

Once they began to change the game to increase the action and increase scoring, that wasn't done with the RB in mind. The QB and WR became more important, just ask any fantasy player. Time was, your first two picks were RB's.

It sure doesn't help that the RB position is the most plentiful and easiest to transition from college along with P and PK.

Why should the Cowboys pay Elliott 12-14M when there are RB's coming out every year that they can draft and pay a rookie salary? I think we'll see what a mistake it was for the Rams to give Gurley that contract. And the only way Barkley will see a 2nd from the Giants is that they don't have to pay others. Same thing that happened to Peterson.

The NFL won't do anything about the RB position because it's just not as important as it once was. They decided to give QB's and WR's more and RB's get left behind, as Bell discovered. He thought he was as important as the QB and WR, he was wrong.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A 5th-round pick like Richard Sherman or Josh Norman shouldn't have to play four seasons to get compensated to what their draft position should have been. That's a lot of uncompensated risk they have to take.

And Dak is WAY under-compensated given how much he's played. No, he's not worth $35 million, but he's worth far more than what he's getting.

erod, they have to care first. Do the owners or NFLPA really care? The NFLPA is the one responsible for how rookies get paid and since that has resulted in the vets getting more money, they're not about to go back for a minority of the players in the league.

TBH, I don't care about fair compensation with the average salary of a NFL starter. Show me fair when a QB makes more money in one game than the average Joe will in 40 years of working a job?

I grow tired of all the damned money talk about the NFL, I would like to not even know what they make, I don't watch them spend their money. I only care about them on the field and providing entertainment and giving me my football fix. If a RB doesn't like the salary, change positions or try working a real job, that salary will look a hell of a lot better.

erod

Reaction score
erod, they have to care first. Do the owners or NFLPA really care? The NFLPA is the one responsible for how rookies get paid and since that has resulted in the vets getting more money, they're not about to go back for a minority of the players in the league.

TBH, I don't care about fair compensation with the average salary of a NFL starter. Show me fair when a QB makes more money in one game than the average Joe will in 40 years of working a job?

I grow tired of all the damned money talk about the NFL, I would like to not even know what they make, I don't watch them spend their money. I only care about them on the field and providing entertainment and giving me my football fix. If a RB doesn't like the salary, change positions or try working a real job, that salary will look a hell of a lot better.
I agree with that in principle, but my intent here is to protect the running back position as one of value before "greats" decide to move to linebacker or corner in high school.

One thing I like about football is that I'm OK with the money they make because of the risk and price of being a player to their bodies.

Baseball and basketball players are woefully overpaid in vastly overrated and broken sports.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I'm a running back guy. Love the running game. Emmitt is my favorite Cowboy of all time. Most of my all-time favorite football players are running backs.

That said, the NFL has to do something for these guys contractually. The system is WAY unfair for them.

Most draft picks that become great players take a good while to get there, often 2-3 years or more at the pro level. Then, they're rewarded with a HUGE contract after their rookie deal, and often another huge contract or two after after that one.

But not running backs.

Highly-drafted running backs are generally elite the moment they arrive at rookie OTAs. They're already about as good as they'll ever be, and they step right in and dominate from day one.

Gurley, Peterson, Sanders, Gore, George, Emmitt, Barkley, Zeke, McCoy, Andrews, Dickerson, McCutcheon, Campbell, Sims, Payton, and Dorsett (when Landry finally got over himself and put Tony in for good). There are hundreds of examples of them.

And now Zeke Elliott, who, off-field issues aside, is the most impactful player on the team and has been since his opening game. He's usually the best player on the field in any given game.

The league needs to address the fact that rookie running backs are WAY underpaid compared to the impact other players have initially, and the second contract potential those players have in comparison to running backs.

Often, these backs are a huge percentage of their teams offense, but take such a beating early that they go downhill quickly and never get paid like other players. They're the cheap help, although they are ultra critical to team success.

That needs to change because I don't want to see the best young running backs youth football insist on being converted to other positions over earning potential. Used to be that the best players wanted to play running back. Now, it's like financial death sentence.

Perhaps some sort of cap exception to pay them better? A different rookie scale for running backs to go with it? It's got to be simple to address.

Save the position. Pay these guys.

why is it unfair? what's unfair about it? the rules changes. it favors passing and more scoring, so you don't need great RBs of the past or more reliance on the running game. there used to be a time where FBs were important and now, some teams don't even carry a FB...is it unfair to them...where are Daryl Johnston of the past!!!

now, if you are talented, teams will find a way to use you. perhaps pure RBs are less attractive, they have to be able to catch and have speed....there are those like Barkely, Zeke, Bell, Gurley that can run and catch....but one dimensional backs are not as attractive...

the league doesn't need to do anything..... its what it is. I like the fact that you have a cap....and everyone has to fit under the cap..... manage the money...…

I wouldn't make new rules for RBs.....and the money that they get paid is based on draft position and allotted money for your draft....so if RBs are drafted high, they get paid for a player in that draft slot....its just the RBs aren't valued as much...

Diehardblues

Reaction score

That’s why they can renegotiate if their talent far exceeds. Plus the lower draft picks are only tied to a 4 year Rookie contract.

But this is part of the new format which is IMO much better for the teams than previously with grossly over paying higher draft picks before we saw their performance or contribution.

Altestic

Reaction score
Even Blount at 32 has a 7 million net worth. More than most working stiffs will ever see in their lifetime.
7 million is extremely low for a 10+ year veteran NFL player, especially with the workload and number of times he's been tackled.

You don't compare NFL players to working class civilians... that's dumb as rocks.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never liked the rookie cap. It did not have the intended effect of spreading around the money to veterans. Rather, its put a premium on rookie's and their cheap contracts while discounting veterans. Something needs to be tweaked in the next CBA.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
No need.

Players like Zeke are not going to switch to DE in High School or College because it pays more.

Compensation is not fair.

Football players get paid more than Engineers, Military personnel, Firemen, etc..

not a fair comparison given no one will pay $300.00 to watch those types do their job

Diehardblues

Reaction score
7 million is extremely low for a 10+ year veteran NFL player, especially with the workload and number of times he's been tackled.

You don't compare NFL players to working class civilians... that's dumb as rocks.
Most fans here probably aren’t acquainted with regular people who earn 7 digit figures outside of sports.

And most NFL players are making closer to the minimum which is $480,000. Only about 10-20 % of NFL players are making millions.

According to this link the average salary in NFL in 2016 was about 800,000. I know I wouldn’t place myself in such harms way for that. No way..

https://moneynation.com/how-much-money-do-nfl-players-make/

erod

Reaction score
why is it unfair? what's unfair about it? the rules changes. it favors passing and more scoring, so you don't need great RBs of the past or more reliance on the running game. there used to be a time where FBs were important and now, some teams don't even carry a FB...is it unfair to them...where are Daryl Johnston of the past!!!.

Top running teams the past 5 years: Seattle and Dallas

Most wins the past 5 years: Seattle and Dallas

Just because teams don't do it doesn't mean it doesn't work in today's game.

erod

Reaction score
That’s why they can renegotiate if their talent far exceeds.

By renegotiate, you mean hold out, right?

I think the thing I'd really like is a Larry Bird type of rule that allows you to re-sign players you drafted with a lesser cap hit.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
By renegotiate, you mean hold out, right?

I think the thing I'd really like is a Larry Bird type of rule that allows you to re-sign players you drafted with a lesser cap hit.
Right. Holding out is forcing to renegotiate.

And like we’re seeing with Dak potentially paying him after only 3 years without a holdout to either avoid a holdout next year or demanding a bigger contract.

Remember why we went to these Rookie Contracts. Because of the gross overpay of Rookies before they played a snap. This is by far a much better scenario given the Salary Cap which of course I’m not a proponent of to begin with.

I’d add more roster spots and increase the players share. The owners are not sharing the new revenue from stadium sponsorships either. Their profits continue to balloon. Owners aren’t sharing all of their revenue streams just TV and Ticket sales.

And I’d be for increasing minimum wage. Maybe doubling it. Perhaps setting categories based on draft slot or round. And possibly change the 4 and 5 year minimums before negotiating. Which is similar to where I think you’re going with this.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

how many superbowls between the two?

how many superbowl winners with top running game over the past 10 years...

NFL shouldn't intervene with making accomodations for any position. they make rules....like make passing easier...then the market adjusts...if they make rules that makes running easier, then teams adjust to the new rules and markets adjust....like I said in my post, FB position is almost non existant today...should NFL have done anything to save the FBs?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

What’s interesting about this example you’re giving is we actually kinda of stumbled onto this concept.

In 2014 in order to protect Romo we begun using Murray more than we’d ever used a RB. And it turned out a great success behind our OL which was drafted and created to protect Romo. As it turned out it created this dominating running game that ultimately didn’t protect Romo enough as he was knocked out the following season.

But after we had this success in running game which created the most effective Romo had been on the verge of our 1st Championship appearance since the 90’s , we became arrogant of our OL. Then let Murray walk , implemented the RB by committee and those Tripletts were never fielded again and Romo never finished another season.

Then of course after we witnessed that not just anyone could run behind this OL we went after another potential Elite RB. So, in my mind we’re at that crossroads again and why I want to believe Jerry will not let him walk even if Cheapskate Son advises him to trade or not pay up. A holdout and awful start to season would send Jerry scrambling to pay Zeke.

But my point was it wasn’t our intention initially to create this dominating running game. We kinda stumbled onto it, it worked and we’ve stayed with it. Our current QB is probably more dependent on it for different reasons whereas I think Seattle’s ground game was more by design with a young mobile QB who really hadn’t come into his own at that time with a Generational defense to support. A much different scenario in Seattle IMO than in Dallas.

ghst187

Reaction score
I think they need to cap QB contracts long before talking about anything like RB contracts.
Think about it, Russell Wilson, a very good but not great QB IMO, is hogging almost 20% of his team’s cap space. One player. There are 53 other players to split the remainder. This will only keep spiraling up and out of control. Look what Cousins got and he stinks. Dak will likely get 30.
Imagine what a guy like Brady could get right now if he were in his prime and a FA..... anyone think someone would pay him 40? I do. What will Mayfield get if he keeps killing it? 50? I’m all for free market economics but I think it’s a detriment to the game. The rules keep catering more and more to QBs, can’t touch them, breath on them...can’t touch WRs...the league has been creeping towards flag football for a long time which has made it a QBs game. You have a good one and win, or you don’t and you don’t.
The game is worse for it. I’ve long wondered if a nba super max like structure for players in the nfl would work. Of course if we think Goodell will ever have a good idea and fix even a minor issue rather than make it worse, I guess we are only going to be disappointed.