News: The NFL is reportedly considering a shortened preseason

glimmerman

Reaction score
Would like to see 3 games. We have to get our starters in sync and look at the rookies to see who to cut or keep.

conner01

Reaction score
So true. You see how ill prepared teams seem to be early on in the season now with 4 games. Most teams don't even resemble what they were on opening day by mid season. But I don't think the shortened preseason will have much impact on the starters. Just all of the others they're trying to evaluate.
And with a new staff, at least some changes to scheme on both sides of the ball it’s extremely important to this team to me

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A good number would be 0, if they're going to have fans present. Why take the chance when it doesn't count and isn't real under these circumstances?

The only games that should be played should count. Coaches do not need pretend games to make roster decisions, they do that under controlled situations at camp and practice. What is any coach going to learn from putting his 2nd and 3rd stringers up against the other team's backups? Do McC and Philbin want to know how the players vying for the OL look against other teams backups or even their starters that do not go all out in pretend games or do they want to know how those OL look against their own DL under controlled circumstances?

The NFL does not need preseason anymore than college does and they're dealing with mostly new teams every season.
The one difference I can think of is that the players will hit harder and give more effort against other teams than they would their own. Nobody on the Dallas defense is gonna throw Dak on the ground, risking injury............except maybe Dalton.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
So true. You see how ill prepared teams seem to be early on in the season now with 4 games. Most teams don't even resemble what they were on opening day by mid season. But I don't think the shortened preseason will have much impact on the starters. Just all of the others they're trying to evaluate.

A big part of the reason games are so sloppy to start the season is because the starters get so little live game reps during the preseason. They need live action game reps to get their timing down that they don't get during preseason. With the number of days there's contact in training camp that has be reduced by almost half on this new CBA, and that contact isn't the same as game time action, it further proves the need for the preseason games.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A good number would be 0, if they're going to have fans present. Why take the chance when it doesn't count and isn't real under these circumstances?

The only games that should be played should count. Coaches do not need pretend games to make roster decisions, they do that under controlled situations at camp and practice. What is any coach going to learn from putting his 2nd and 3rd stringers up against the other team's backups? Do McC and Philbin want to know how the players vying for the OL look against other teams backups or even their starters that do not go all out in pretend games or do they want to know how those OL look against their own DL under controlled circumstances?

The NFL does not need preseason anymore than college does and they're dealing with mostly new teams every season.
This X 1000.

College FB, High school FB, even the pee wees don’t have “preseason” games. The NFL does preseason games for one reason- cash. It’s total BS when we hear that teams need them. No they don’t. Owners need them. That’s it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What you mean they cone straight out the gate??? The first few weeks of college season is top 25 team playing against scrub teams they beat by 40-50;points a game. That is their preaseon.
You need to check the schedule better, that changed several years back when TV came calling with a bag o money.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The one difference I can think of is that the players will hit harder and give more effort against other teams than they would their own. Nobody on the Dallas defense is gonna throw Dak on the ground, risking injury............except maybe Dalton.
They all use red jerseys on QB's in practice so they don't get hit.

My main problem with it is it is just crappy football, which is why I don't watch. The vets don't play enough and now less than ever, that 3rd preseason game tune up is basically gone. These vets are not going all out when a) they're not getting a real game check, b) the game and score do not matter and c) which is probably a, they don't want to get injured or injure another in a meaningless game.

Any coach that needs a preseason game to evaluate a player needs to find another profession. He doesn't know how hard or at what level the player going against his player is and the second half is nothing but Home Depot and Lowe's tryouts.

These coaching staffs have daily meetings to review where they are and update the rosters before they leave camp, they pretty much know the final 50 and are taking a look for PS players and others they might have to bring back during the season for injuries.

Pollard was so impressive in preseason last season that Booger capitulated and give Elliott his deal. They use preseason games for additional profit with a lower salary expense, that is all.

Runny, if I hadn't paid full price in my season ticket package, I wouldn't be so opposed to them but I did and I am.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
This X 1000.

College FB, High school FB, even the pee wees don’t have “preseason” games. The NFL does preseason games for one reason- cash. It’s total BS when we hear that teams need them. No they don’t. Owners need them. That’s it.

It's funny, not ha ha funny, that every time an NFL coach is asked about preseason games the response is always the same. Preseason games that is live action is the best way to evaluate players, but what do they know they're only the ones who are paid do the evaluating.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’d be very surprised if there are any preseason games.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's funny, not ha ha funny, that every time an NFL coach is asked about preseason games the response is always the same. Preseason games that is live action is the best way to evaluate players, but what do they know they're only the ones who are paid do the evaluating.
I believe that’s because that’s what their employers want. If you know your bosses want something, and don’t like dissent, you would play along too.

Besides, In all other football scenarios, players and coaches train to prepare for real game action without “exhibition games” as they used to be called. College football does one month of practices and intramural-squad scrimmaging before playing real games. They don’t have problems evaluating their talent or getting ready to start the season.

You would be hard pressed to find an NFL star player say they think preseason games are necessary. Coaches always say they “need more time to evaluate players”. Coaches are inherently focused on gaining extra time to practice or get more prepared.

NFL Preseason games are an outdated money grab by the owners. As Couch coach said, preseason games are of terrible quality. More than half the games are between guys that will never make an NFL roster. I haven’t watched one in years because it is zero indication of what a team is. There’s almost zero of schemes or playbooks revealed. To me, they’re a joke- a joke at the full regular season price.

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I believe that’s because that’s what their employers want. If you know your bosses want something, and don’t like dissent, you would play along too.

Besides, In all other football scenarios, players and coaches train to prepare for real game action without “exhibition games” as they used to be called. College football does one month of practices and intramural-squad scrimmaging before playing real games. They don’t have problems evaluating their talent or getting ready to start the season.

You would be hard pressed to find an NFL star player say they think preseason games are necessary. Coaches always say they “need more time to evaluate players”. Coaches are inherently focused on gaining extra time to practice or get more prepared.

NFL Preseason games are an outdated money grab by the owners. As Couch coach said, preseason games are of terrible quality. More than half the games are between guys that will never make an NFL roster. I haven’t watched one in years because it is zero indication of what a team is. There’s almost zero of schemes or playbooks revealed. To me, they’re a joke- a joke at the full regular season price.

Yet another funny, but not ha ha funny. It all depends on what argument people are trying to make In this case the coaches are just mouth pieces for the owners. That they really don't mean it when they say they think the live action preseason games are the best way to evaluate players. Other times when these people are discussing different coaches they'll say this coach or that coach doesn't pull any punches, that what they say is law, but I guess that means except when they're being their owners mouth piece for preseason games. As far as the players go, yes there have been players who have spoken against preseason games and many of those players have spoken out about other things and have a reputation as whiners and locker room problems.

Now it's time for a little history lesson for you. There was a time when players didn't do much if any training in the off season because then players didn't make the kind of money they make today and they had off season jobs. Anyways they would report to training camp that was about 2 or 3 weeks longer out of shape and used training camp to get into shape. Back then there were 6 preseason games. The NFL champs had one more game. They played the college all stars and that lasted until Lombardi's packers got beat and he put an end to that. Well then the players got the length of training camp shorten and got 2 games dropped from the preseason schedule but in doing so, the players were then expected to report to camp in shape. Now after cutting those 2 games one of those funny, not ha ha funny things happened. The first couple of season games every year started to be pretty sloppy because the starters got very limited snaps in preseason to get all set during live action game situations. In practice even those with contact they don't go all out 100% like they have to during season games. There's a thing called timing that has to be gotten down at 100%.

Now here's a couple of things that you didn't say about college ball that makes what you did say not all together right. College ball doesn't have a CBA that dictates how long practices can be, or how many they wear pads or how many they can have contact and how many days in a row they can practice. Also college doesn't list the first couple of games as "preseason" games but they are always non-conference games that won't count against their conference record and winning the conference championship. Their overall record may determine if they play in a bowl game, but not for the conference championship.

What this boils down to is fans aren't going to dictate if or how many preseason games are played and like those fans have always had, they can just not go to preseason games if they don't like them. But to make up flawed arguments for not having them because they don't like them makes more of those funny comments.

JBond

Reaction score
A new coaching staff.... we need all the situational reps we can get. Both players and coaches need to operate under game times rules and challenges.