The NFL Stinks

Blackspider214

Reaction score
College football is so much better than the NFL.

Not even close. Refs are just as bad. Pace of play is horrible. Quality of play is bad compared to the NFL. And I am a college football fan. But college is cool for the pageantry of the game but the actual product is subpar compared to the NFL.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
welcome to 1970-2019, fans say the refs suck. I'm sure it's been longer but that's all I've been around for.

I’m sure that’s true. But the league has been instituting new rules every offseason at an alarming rate. If there is a flag thrown on damn near every play, there may be too many rules in the rule book.

Really, the way the game is designed, it doesn’t suit the over abundance of rules. It’s a sport that relies on instinct and precision timing at breakneck speeds.

jimmy40

Reaction score
I’m sure that’s true. But the league has been instituting new rules every offseason at an alarming rate. If there is a flag thrown on damn near every play, there may be too many rules in the rule book.
all the new rules are insane and make officiated impossible but the " they're holding every play" crap was old 50 years ago.

tcc0808

Reaction score
All turnovers are supposed to be reviewed, this year the NFL added PI as a reviewable play. How in the world would they not see the obvious pass interference/ illegal contact on the GB DB and use their feeble little brains to overturn that call. I blame Blandino (as I do for all bad calls)

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The calls in general are horrible league-wide. I was out cutting my grass today right before halftime. Yes, I freely admit that I am loosing interest in the NFL and even with what Jerry Jones is putting on the field (and that includes the coaching). I finish with the lawn and see we are still stinking up the field so I take advantage of great, late afternoon and I get on my Harley because I only have a few weeks left of riding before I need to winterize it. I come back and watch our team storm back but wait...there's a few suspect 15 yard penalties that helped us along the way. Yes, we got hosed as well but something smells with the NFL. It's like, "Oh no, people are turning off their TV's, we better get the game closer." Also, the game was over extremely late as well. Lot's of money making commercials. I may be biased because the NFL is boring me but who knows?

Post of the day here. Honest to the core. I agree 100 pct. It is not even just Jerry’s clown car, the league has lost me a bit.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
It has gotten bad. Its so inconsistent.

How do you call heath for illegal contact but then not call a penalty on that dak 3rd pick?

Absolutely atrocious and I'm not even talking about our game. Games are being won and lost because of the terrible officiating.

CowboysLegends2

Reaction score
Just call it both ways across the board. They were doing holds and hands to the face on every play and nothing. Furthermore aikman and buck see it slowed down and glaze over it. It just to me makes me feel like it’s fixed and teams are favored to create competitive storylines all season long.
I think this is exactly where the NFL is now. I think it gets misinterpreted as an anti-Cowboy belief but that is because we come here as fans of this team. Most freely admit officiating is corrupt league wide.

The league survives by viewership and the WWE is more popular than real wrestling because of the drama and storylines. I’m not saying it is scripted from top to bottom, but they sure as hell influence the game in favor of highest possible ratings.

Let’s face it. The Cowboys are a world wide brand and they make the league money win or lose. How much money did New England make for the league before the tuc rule was introduced? When the Patriots fall off the mountain top it will cost the NFL billions in merchandise alone from that fan base.

It doesn’t hurt to throw a few storylines out there for dramatic effect. Anyone remember Jerome Bettis playing in the last game of his career in the Super Bowl played in his home town when 3 TD’s were removed from the Seahawks so the feel good narrative would end in a fairy tale fashion?

Not to mention the separate billions made in the point spread of every game. An effectively timed holding penalty here or a “missed” pass interference there can make powerful or influential people a lot of cash.

If an owner gets a little out of sorts by opposing the bottom line of the leagues commissioner then that is nothing a half a seasons worth of turning a blind eye to that teams opponents holding penalties can’t fix. If that doesn’t work there is always the old reliable suspending a key player for six games for crimes that law enforcement hasn’t charged him with.

Even if a close friend runs a franchise in New York, we can help him out with penalizing two of the three teams in their division for violating the “spirit” of the salary cap in an uncapped year.

gmb1

Reaction score
The Colts just lost an OPI challenge that should tell everyone to never challenge it again.

If that call stands, they all will.
They might as well do away with replay period. No more challenges for anything. What a joke.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
The Colts just lost an OPI challenge that should tell everyone to never challenge it again.

If that call stands, they all will.

The only time to challenge is if looks like saints vs rams.

Packers held on every play because they knew it wouldn’t be called.

Our receivers were being played like gunners in punt coverage

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Yes the game is too complicated to officiate. But that's been a problem for years. Don't know how you fix it aside from reducing the number of rules, or making holding or PI clearer. Even then theres will always be question marks and judgement calls.

I guess you could also have all penalities confirmed upstairs but that would greatly slow down the game. Maybe unwatchable. The flag on the field is under review. Lol

leeblair

Reaction score
The calls in general are horrible league-wide. I was out cutting my grass today right before halftime. Yes, I freely admit that I am loosing interest in the NFL and even with what Jerry Jones is putting on the field (and that includes the coaching). I finish with the lawn and see we are still stinking up the field so I take advantage of great, late afternoon and I get on my Harley because I only have a few weeks left of riding before I need to winterize it. I come back and watch our team storm back but wait...there's a few suspect 15 yard penalties that helped us along the way. Yes, we got hosed as well but something smells with the NFL. It's like, "Oh no, people are turning off their TV's, we better get the game closer." Also, the game was over extremely late as well. Lot's of money making commercials. I may be biased because the NFL is boring me but who knows?
The NFL seems to have gone the way of pro wrestling. But I believe it started in the 90's with "This one's for John".
The Manning brothers, the "tuck" rule, New Orleans winning a Super Bowl right after Katrena, and the list goes on.
And teams on the bubble seemingly eeking out wins to stay in the race a week or two longer.

Buttermaker

Reaction score
The NFL seems to have gone the way of pro wrestling. But I believe it started in the 90's with "This one's for John".
The Manning brothers, the "tuck" rule, New Orleans winning a Super Bowl right after Katrena, and the list goes on.
And teams on the bubble seemingly eeking out wins to stay in the race a week or two longer.

Next up, LA Rams. When the stadium is finished they will need a Superbowl cash cow, er, winner.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It’s becoming wwe. It’s really blatant and honestly making me not care anymore

Yes, and FIFA must be absolutely losing their minds. FIFA got dragged through all sorts of horrendous press for match-fixing (and deservedly so). Yet, that wasn't nearly as blatant as what the NFL seems to be doing.