The NFL Stinks

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Thank you for not making this a “officials hate Dallas” conspiracy thread.

I agree, my eyes were really opened a few years ago when I joined a survivor pool. Since I had a monetary interest in several games, I got the NFL package and watched a lot more teams than just the Cowboys. This is when I really saw how bad the officiating was. People who only watch the Cowboys feel they are the only team that gets screwed but it’s happening all over. There may be a few fairly officiated games here and there but overall it sucks and almost caused me to stop watching the NFL altogether.

I’ve seen game altering decisions for almost every team that most people wouldn’t even know about unless they were a fan of that team. Finally, the Saints game against the Rams was a wake up call for a lot of people since it was the NFC Championship.

I think it’s a combination of horrible officiating and the new NFL rules. They have taken football out of football with all these ridiculous new rules and most of them are very subjective and vary from play to play and crew to crew. I never thought I would say this because every year I think it can’t get any worse but so far this is the worst year I’ve seen and I’m not just referring to the Cowboys. It’s horrendous, ruins the game and is almost not worth watching.

Exactly, you basically have to be almost a lawyer to figure out what will be called and not called....and even then you'll probably get it wrong because nothing the NFL does makes sense anymore.

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
I'm 36. Not the league it was when I was a kid. It's also fixed to a degree

Most heavily wagered teams today were chiefs and bears. Knew when I saw it, the chiefs and bears would lose. It's just always BS

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
The flags and reffing are getting annoying

Refs had nothing to do with the cowboys losing though.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
The officials should only make calls that are over the top. Let everything else go. At least then I’d know even though guys are getting away with things it’s even.

Anyone ever notice why the SB isn’t a bunch of flags being thrown? Cause the nfl knows it would be unwatchable to billions of people.

The nfl excuse is that it’s an “all star crew” is bs. Those guys are instructed not to call the game tight. Why can’t every game be like that.

SacredStar

Reaction score
I remember at one time, long ago, that Dallas was the recipient of a lot of questionable calls. This was the early 90's and we could do pretty much what we wanted because we were one of a few "favored" teams. That has changed. Now GB, NE, and Seattle mainly are the favored teams and have been for awhile.

I realize these refs are human and as such, they will make mistakes. But to see blatant penalties ignored or inconsistent refereeing is what bugs me to no end. What is a penalty in one game turns out to not be a penalty in another game for the same infraction. They pick when, and who, they will flag and there doesn't seem to be any consistency in how they do it. Some teams get flagged for any little thing they do illegal while others get a pass....from the same ref. All day today I watched horrible officiating in every game.

I've said this before, these guys all can't be fair, impartial, or equal to all teams. You can't tell me they don't favor one team over another. Call it a conspiracy but it happens every game.

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
If you are not good enough to overcome a couple of mistakes and uneven officiating, you're just not good enough.
You realize how small the margin between winning and losing is. A bs holding calls to kill a drive or a phantom pi/non pi call can and does decide a game.

kevm3

Reaction score
Games feel manufactured now... like they call penalties to keep games close as was mentioned to 'keep eyeballs on the screen', but the problem is people really don't want to watch a product that feels rigged. It's sad that the officiating is so bad that calls that even go for your team, you call out because it ends up feeling not like your team is winning fair and square.

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
Honestly holding offense or defense should be a 5 yarder. PI should be a 5 yarder and automatic first down. The only penalties that should be more than 5 are roughing the passer and unnecessary roughness. It would take some of the drive killing game changing penalties out of the refs hand.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
The flags and reffing are getting annoying

Refs had nothing to do with the cowboys losing though.

Why do people say nothing to do? Refs can absolutely have a reason and have influence. It is not absolutes. They can be an issue but not the only issue. GB was allowed to hold the entire game and nothing called. Allowed to rip off Gallup's head and we then throw a pick because it was a timing route. Side judge takes it personal and throws a flag.

There is an issue when one team gets a pass to mug our WRs but we get a flag when Heath puts a hand on the receiver and he trips over his own feet.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
It's a painful watch. Horrible waste of time.
,,,Er,,,as compared to what? Casteration of Crocodiles? Widows being consoled?,,, Nuns converted? ,,,or perhaps that wholesome noblest of endeavoured life's achievements being,,,Wars fought& police actions,tooo_O:rolleyes:o_O

* That b s of it being unwatchable is just that,,,B S ,,,cuz' ,,,you,him,them,they, me& all of them there her's out there,suffer the same affliction of fandom ,from long since before the days of this mutated infectious strain of the "game" having been thrust so blatantly upon the scene of it's virulent stage being witnessed todayo_O

** Rod Rammit**

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Why do people say nothing to do? Refs can absolutely have a reason and have influence. It is not absolutes. They can be an issue but not the only issue. GB was allowed to hold the entire game and nothing called. Allowed to rip off Gallup's head and we then throw a pick because it was a timing route. Side judge takes it personal and throws a flag.

There is an issue when one team gets a pass to mug our WRs but we get a flag when Heath puts a hand on the receiver and he trips over his own feet.

They didnt lose because of the refs. That's what I shouldve said. I know refs can make a huge difference sometimes. That's how the stealers won their last 2 superbowls.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
They might as well do away with replay period. No more challenges for anything. What a joke.

That was apparent last week when Zeke's full elbow was down with the ball in hand and they still let the fumble stand. That changed the game and led to Saints points and stopped our momentum. Cooper getting 2 VERY weak OPI calls. Saints allowed to hold constantly on the OL and secondary. Jerry lets this league bend his team over and he accepts it. It seems every obscure penalty deep in the books are called against us. Stuff people have never even heard of.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Honestly, I think Dak may need to resort to that. Cuz we rarely get the calls Green Bay gets. Maybe it's time we learn to do that.

Rodgers is the NFL's pet. He is in a lot of commercials and has a lot of pull. He has had rule changes brought about because of him. Want to know why it has gotten impossible to even make any contact with Rodgers? Go back 2 years to a game where Minnesota knocks him out for the year. Starting last year, the refs cracked down severely on QB contact.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Pats buy their way to the superbowls , just look at the history with ref calls .

its obvious .

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The calls in general are horrible league-wide. I was out cutting my grass today right before halftime. Yes, I freely admit that I am loosing interest in the NFL and even with what Jerry Jones is putting on the field (and that includes the coaching). I finish with the lawn and see we are still stinking up the field so I take advantage of great, late afternoon and I get on my Harley because I only have a few weeks left of riding before I need to winterize it. I come back and watch our team storm back but wait...there's a few suspect 15 yard penalties that helped us along the way. Yes, we got hosed as well but something smells with the NFL. It's like, "Oh no, people are turning off their TV's, we better get the game closer." Also, the game was over extremely late as well. Lot's of money making commercials. I may be biased because the NFL is boring me but who knows?
yeah I see your point, but who knows what the real deal is.
But I too am losing interest because of a number of things that I find irritating .
Bad reffing is just one of them.

9darter

Reaction score
It's a total crap product. So obviously directed from the league office via corrupt refs and all kinds of nonsense rules. If it wasn't for this forum, I would've lost interest years ago.

Swanny

Reaction score
The calls in general are horrible league-wide. I was out cutting my grass today right before halftime. Yes, I freely admit that I am loosing interest in the NFL and even with what Jerry Jones is putting on the field (and that includes the coaching). I finish with the lawn and see we are still stinking up the field so I take advantage of great, late afternoon and I get on my Harley because I only have a few weeks left of riding before I need to winterize it. I come back and watch our team storm back but wait...there's a few suspect 15 yard penalties that helped us along the way. Yes, we got hosed as well but something smells with the NFL. It's like, "Oh no, people are turning off their TV's, we better get the game closer." Also, the game was over extremely late as well. Lot's of money making commercials. I may be biased because the NFL is boring me but who knows?
The NFL game is beyond boring to me now. They have ruined the game of football.

TheHerd

Reaction score
It's definitely not just Dallas. I try to watch a game every once in a while, and it's "there a flag on the play." And when a team is behind with any chance to come back the flags are fast, furious, and questionable to help them along.