The NFL's due diligence on Ezekiel Elliott

OUCowboy

CirrusBLow
Reaction score
Okay, so most everyone on the forum has been here much longer than I and have more experience with how the NFL operates. So maybe you folks have a little insight as to how the NFL conducts itself in certain matters. That being said, let me ask a question.

It was disturbing when the allegations of domestic violence by Ezekiel Elliott surfaced last year. Lots of rumors and rumblings immediately began to float around the WWW. No one really knew for sure if the allegations were true or if the girl in question was just trying to get a payday.

As it turns out, the police found no evidence of wrong doing by our new favorite running back. Because of the lack of evidence, the case has been closed. By the police, that is, but still pending by the NFL.

Can someone explain to me if this is normal procedure by the NFL? Do they normally keep such an investigation pending, well after the police have already concluded their investigation and found nothing out of sorts?

I'm not trying to say they are trying to make something out of nothing, just because Elliott is a Dallas Cowboy. But do they really expect to be able to find dirt where none exists, or are they just trying keep up the appearance of doing due diligence?

aria

Reaction score
I think the entire conspiracy theory against the Cowboys is ridiculous and a convenient excuse for some people to use as a reason for the teams short comings. If anything, I would argue the NFL would want the Cowboys to do well due to their popularity which equals ratings and revenues.

The NFL doesn't necessarily always discipline players based on the law, right or wrong. All the whining that this is exclusive to the NFL isn't true. There are major corporations and cities that hold their employees to a different set of standards than the law and the players/employees know this. For example, I'm not allowed to use tobacco on or off the job. Is that an infringement on my personal rights? Possibly, but my option is to find another job if I don't like it.

Look at the Hardy case, in the long run he was cleared by the law but not the NFL. I was strongly against us picking him up, as were many others, but a lot of people thought it was no big deal since he was found not guilty (even though the laws and circumstances were shady as could be). The point being, the NFL decided there was enough evidence for them to suspend him, regardless of what the judicial system decided.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. As I said, these players are making millions of dollars and putting themselves under a micrscope when they decide to play in the NFL, that's part of the territory. Frankly, every state has different laws and our judicial system nationwide is becoming a joke. Imagine if OJ was still playing in the NFL after he was found innocent by the jury...I would be po'd if the NFL didn't ban him or at a minimum suspend him for a long time, regardless of what the jury decided.

As far as I know it is normal, but not always the case, for the NFL to keep investigations open. In other words, if they have reason to believe that their own personal conduct policy was broken by a player or even if they just weren't satisfied by how the police handled an accusation then they will keep the investigation open. It's definitely not exclusive to the Cowboys as much as some of you would like to think.

I do think it's a slippery slope with the NFL because people could lie and try to extort players but I'm sure the NFL is aware of that and until it happens and I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they won't let that occur.

Here are two quick articles that sum it up.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/19/nfl/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/20/nflpa-warns-of-new-world-of-player-investigations/

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
I think the entire conspiracy theory against the Cowboys is ridiculous and a convenient excuse for some people to use as a reason for the teams short comings. If anything, I would argue the NFL would want the Cowboys to do well due to their popularity which equals ratings and revenues.

The NFL doesn't necessarily always discipline players based on the law, right or wrong. All the whining that this is exclusive to the NFL isn't true. There are major corporations and cities that hold their employees to a different set of standards than the law and the players/employees know this. For example, I'm not allowed to use tobacco on or off the job. Is that an infringement on my personal rights? Possibly, but my option is to find another job if I don't like it.

Look at the Hardy case, in the long run he was cleared by the law but not the NFL. I was strongly against us picking him up, as were many others, but a lot of people thought it was no big deal since he was found not guilty (even though the laws and circumstances were shady as could be). The point being, the NFL decided there was enough evidence for them to suspend him, regardless of what the judicial system decided.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. As I said, these players are making millions of dollars and putting under a micrscope when they decide to play in the NFL, that's part of the territory. Frankly, every state has a different laws and our judicial system nationwide is becoming a joke. Imagine if OJ was still playing in the NFL after he was found innocent by the jury...I would be po'd if the NFL didn't ban him or at a minimum suspend him for a long time, regardless of what the jury decided.

As far as I know it is normal, but not always the case, for the NFL to keep investigations open. In other words, if they have reason to believe that their own personal conduct policy was broken by a player or even if they just weren't satisfied by how the police handled an accusation then they will keep the investigation open. It's definitely not exclusive to the Cowboys as much as some of you would like to think.

I do think it's a slippery slope with the NFL because peopel could lie and try to extort players but I'm sure the NFL is aware of that and until it happens and I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they won't let that happen.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/20/nflpa-warns-of-new-world-of-player-investigations/
Heres a summary of the NYG Kicker John Brown, who after being accused of DV 27 separate times, was given a 1 game suspension. He was basically given a slap on the wrist until the NFL was confronted by the Police and different factions. Then was kicked out of the league. Care to explain the due diligence here?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

I'd love to hear some other examples of year long investigations into a pre-NFL incident, where there is neither a criminal case, nor witnesses that side with the accuser, but there are witnesses that side with the defendant.

Reaction score
The NFL took a big black eye from their handling of the Rice DV situation. It got a reputation that too many players are woman beaters and the league didn't take the issue seriously enough. As a result, they're going full court press on instances since. There's no real procedure on how they approach and handle these cases as Goodell has expressed each instance is its own situation with set of circumstances - hence Zeke's situation will be completed on what ever time table the league wants

aria

Reaction score
Heres a summary of the NYG Kicker John Brown, who after being accused of DV 27 separate times, was given a 1 game suspension. He was basically given a slap on the wrist until the NFL was confronted by the Police and different factions. Then was kicked out of the league. Care to explain the due diligence here?
I'm not an expert on the case but I believe the chief of police withheld pertinent information about the case because the NFL didn't identify themselves when asking for details/court records. Once that became available to them the Giants had already kicked him off the team.

So if you're comparing him to Zeke it's apples and oranges. You guys act like Zeke is already suspended half the season just becuase they haven't officially closed the investigation. NOTHING has happened and it may be taking so long due to other people involved in the case. Personally I'm not worried about it, if Zeke claims he didn't do anythig wrong and the police haven't found anything then I'll cautiously err on Zeke's side until otherwise.

aria

Reaction score
I'd love to hear some other examples of year long investigations into a pre-NFL incident, where there is neither a criminal case, nor witnesses that side with the accuser, but there are witnesses that side with the defendant.
First of all, I never said every case was the exact same because they aren't. Second of all, ever since the Rice and Hardy debacle is when the NFL started cracking down so there won't be many cases to reference. Just because an investigation happens to be going on with Zeke doesn't mean the NFL thinks he's guilty. I'd assume they want to get all their ducks in a row because they already look bad for the way they've handled other cases.

You guys need to stop crying about Zeke until something happens. You're paranoid delusional conspiracy theorists and think the NFL and Goodell are out to make sure the Cowboys fail. NOTHING has happened to Zeke and if he's innocent, NOTHING will. Let them keep the case open, unless you don't believe Zeke or know something no one else doesn't then he'll be fine. Relax.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on the case but I believe the chief of police withheld pertinent information about the case because the NFL didn't identify themselves when asking for details/court records. Once that became available to them the Giants had already kicked him off the team.

So if you're comparing him to Zeke it's apples and oranges. You guys act like Zeke is already suspended half the season just becuase they haven't officially closed the investigation. NOTHING has happened and it may be taking so long due to other people involved in the case. Personally I'm not worried about it, if Zeke claims he didn't do anythig wrong and the police haven't found anything then I'll cautiously err on Zeke's side until otherwise.
Ummm, there are literally texts from the girl accusing Zeke of this action to him and to her friends and his saying to lie to the police for her benefit. Please dude. If you are sitting there telling me if he played for the Jacksonville Jaguars this case would still be open you are off your rocker. You brought up the Chief of Police withholding info? They had 27 documented cases of DV. The chief had nothing to do with it. They tried to sweep it under the rug for Mara's benefit. As they do with all things Giants. AKA the Walkie Talkie fiasco. So dont tell me there isnt Bias. The fact the lady investigating Zeke is a season ticket holder and lover of the Giants is the biggest conflict of interest ive ever seen

aria

Reaction score
Ummm, there are literally texts from the girl accusing Zeke of this action to him and to her friends and his saying to lie to the police for her benefit. Please dude. If you are sitting there telling me if he played for the Jacksonville Jaguars this case would still be open you are off your rocker. You brought up the Chief of Police withholding info? They had 27 documented cases of DV. The chief had nothing to do with it. They tried to sweep it under the rug for Mara's benefit. As they do with all things Giants. AKA the Walkie Talkie fiasco. So dont tell me there isnt Bias. The fact the lady investigating Zeke is a season ticket holder and lover of the Giants is the biggest conflict of interest ive ever seen

So I guess this article is lying, ESPN is usually known for that. IMOF, I believe John Mara is part owner of ESPN as well so it all makes sense. There isn't bias, I'll say it again. The walkie talkie incident wasn't swept under the rug. They were fined and were punished in the draft IIRC. Either way, it was proven they only used the walkie talkies for the same time period they use the headsets prior to being cut off. In other words, yeah, they shouldn't have used the headsets but no, they didn't gain an advanatge by doing it which is why the rule is in place. Would a fair punishment be for them to lose a first round draft pick and player/coach suspensions? Please dude, give it up.

Again, NOTHING has even been done to Zeke and if you believe he's innocent than what are you worried about? The NFL will produce a false witness? Perhaps the Giants will pay off the ex girlfriend and witnesses to come up with a different story. Now you're paranoid about the lady investigating the case being a Giants season ticket holder? Are you kidding?

Pretty funny how Jerry had the head of NFL officiating and other prominent NFL execs on his "party" bus prior to the playoff games vs the Lions when we got away with literally tackling a receiver before the ball even got to him (penalty) and then Dez runs out on the field (penalty) has his helmet off (penalty) and starts arguing with officials (penalty) and the only flag that was thrown for PI was immediately picked up. That woukd have given the Lions a first down and put them in FG range to win the game. We got away with one big time and shoukd have lost that game but thankfully Jerry had the entire NFL officiating crew in his back pocket.

There are plenty of other examples just like it. If you want to blame the NFL for being crooked and inconsistent, fine, but it goes both ways and has benefited us plenty in the past. If you want to see there and blame everything on the Giants, Mara and Goodell than go back to listening to Alex Jones.

Oh yeah, don't forget about Greg Hardy getting his suspension reduced to 4 games from 10. Where were the Giants, Mara, the NFL and whoever else you want to blame when that happened? Oh wait, I guess Jerry was paying off the arbitrator. I heard him and Mara had a private bidding war.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...r-josh-brown-says-was-physically-violent-20-s

OUCowboy

CirrusBLow
Reaction score
My apologies if I have stirred up a stink. I was just honestly curious about how the NFL usually proceeded in cases like this.

aria

Reaction score
My apologies if I have stirred up a stink. I was just honestly curious about how the NFL usually proceeded in cases like this.
Nothing to be sorry about, it's a public forum with passionate fans. Pretty much anything you say on here will cause a debate, it's normal. I don't think, or would hope, most people here don't get their panties in a wad over disagreements. After all we're all pulling for the same team and want whats best for the Boys, just different thoughts on how to get there.

IMOF, if everyone agreed with each other this site would be zzzzzZzzzzZzzz...

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score

your theory is pretty flawed.

32 teams - Dallas has more fans then all the other teams, but not as much as the other 31 combined.

the majority of fans prefer Dallas not doing well.

so your theory is simply a case of sophomoric mathematics at play

aria

Reaction score
your theory is pretty flawed.

32 teams - Dallas has more fans then all the other teams, but not as much as the other 31 combined.

the majority of fans prefer Dallas not doing well.

so your theory is simply a case of sophomoric mathematics at play
Is that right? I guess that's why the Cowboys almost always get more prime time games even when they aren't doing that well.

You're right, the majority of people don't want to see them do well so that's part of the reason ratings for their games are always so high. People who aren't Cowboys fans tune in to hope watch them lose, plain and simple.

I also guess that since the Cowboys are almost no 1 in apparrel sales that means nothing.

Your sophomoric lack of basic business is at play.

One quick google search brings up plenty of articles on the subject. This one is applicable to last year but the overall theme is the same every year whether it's the combination of Cowboys fans and people wanting them to lose or Jerry bringing in marquee players to draw more attention, it's pretty consistent year after year, even when they are not dominating.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...day-night-football/100gom2uodrgf1fvjuxmmm5y7t

and here's another one, but hey, you're right. I give up. You win!

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...edule-5-prime-time-games-open-against-giants/

and another "first time in league history a team will have 4 straight games in primetime" I guess that's because the NFL hates them, they don't bring in ratings and they don't bring in money. You nailed it pal!

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cowboys-get-another-primetime-game-added-to-their-schedule-120416

Last edited:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
First of all, I never said every case was the exact same because they aren't. Second of all, ever since the Rice and Hardy debacle is when the NFL started cracking down so there won't be many cases to reference. Just because an investigation happens to be going on with Zeke doesn't mean the NFL thinks he's guilty. I'd assume they want to get all their ducks in a row because they already look bad for the way they've handled other cases.

No one is saying all cases are the same. You said that it's normal for a review of a situation like this to be taking as long as it's taking. All I'm asking for is examples of other such reviews, if your claim is that it's normal.

You can admit Zeke's review is taking an abnormally long time, especially given the circumstances, without "crying about Zeke".

You guys need to stop crying about Zeke until something happens. You're paranoid delusional conspiracy theorists and think the NFL and Goodell are out to make sure the Cowboys fail. NOTHING has happened to Zeke and if he's innocent, NOTHING will. Let them keep the case open, unless you don't believe Zeke or know something no one else doesn't then he'll be fine. Relax.

Looking at this thread, you're the only one actually "crying" about anything. Other people are asking why it's taking so long because he's a good player on a team they care enough about to post on a web forum about.

You're the one turning that into a "paranoid delusion".

We've had about 1,000 threads centered around a certain player's nerve firing or not firing, I'm not sure what you expect from a fan forum.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. As I said, these players are making millions of dollars and putting themselves under a micrscope when they decide to play in the NFL, that's part of the territory. Frankly, every state has different laws and our judicial system nationwide is becoming a joke. Imagine if OJ was still playing in the NFL after he was found innocent by the jury...I would be po'd if the NFL didn't ban him or at a minimum suspend him for a long time, regardless of what the jury decided.

I do think it's a slippery slope with the NFL because people could lie and try to extort players but I'm sure the NFL is aware of that and until it happens and I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they won't let that occur.

with other players they say that anything that happens before the draft cannot be punished by the NFL yet here with Zeke, they are still looking at stuff he did before he was drafted

how is that possible?

aria

Reaction score
No one is saying all cases are the same. You said that it's normal for a review of a situation like this to be taking as long as it's taking. All I'm asking for is examples of other such reviews, if your claim is that it's normal.

You can admit Zeke's review is taking an abnormally long time, especially given the circumstances, without "crying about Zeke".

Looking at this thread, you're the only one actually "crying" about anything. Other people are asking why it's taking so long because he's a good player on a team they care enough about to post on a web forum about.

You're the one turning that into a "paranoid delusion".

We've had about 1,000 threads centered around a certain player's nerve firing or not firing, I'm not sure what you expect from a fan forum.

First of all, I'm not sure there is an exact case to compare it to hence the reason why I said "I believe it's normal". You said yourself not every case is the same and if there aren't any cases that are the same as Zeke's how can you be upset or act like he is being discriminated against when there isn't a similar case to compare it to?

Lol, really? I'm crying about it? "Wrong". Other people are more than just crying about it because it's taking so long, they're using lame conspiracy theories as the reason. I'm just sick of hearing all the "poor us" conspiracy theories when there is absolutely nothing to back it up. Every time there is a bad call, a suspension, etc against the Cowboys so many fans start stomping their feet crying about how much the NFL and Goodell are out to get them. It's ridiculous and it's childish to blame the NFL anytime we don't agree with something. I got news for you, it happens to every team and we've been the recipient of both good and bad calls, like every team.

So again, why are you crying about a something that hasn't even happened yet? I don't get this. So what, the case is open. Did that effect his play last year? Don't think so. Does it appear to hurt the team in any way? Don't think so. I think certain fans are crying about it more than Zeke.

We all want it to be over but until it is, and a guilty verdict/suspension comes with false evidence, then there's no reason to get upset about it. Chill out.

aria

Reaction score
with other players they say that anything that happens before the draft cannot be punished by the NFL yet here with Zeke, they are still looking at stuff he did before he was drafted

how is that possible?
Maybe it had to do with the fact that she filed the intake complaint after he was drafted? I don't claim to know all the answers or details, which is the point, none of us do. I personally don't believe a word of what this chick said and I believe Zeke is innocent. I also don't think any of us know everything about the case, so for people to sit here and cry foul and conspiracy over something we don't know all the details is ludicrous.

For the last time, until he is punished in some way or form and we get all the details of why he is being punished than I couldn't care less how long they leave it open. Based on some of his other questionable/not so smart actions I seriously doubt this is weighing as heavy on him as it is some of you.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Is that right? I guess that's why the Cowboys almost always get more prime time games even when they aren't doing that well.]

You are making the same mistakes again. The majority that tune in do so rooting for them to lose. When officials make questionable calls against us, the majority watching the games prefer that

So your claim that they are so popular ignores the reality of the situation. Most fans of football want to see Dallas lose – even with questionable calls. Yet you tried to appeal their popularity as a reason this doesn’t happen.

aria

Reaction score
You are making the same mistakes again. The majority that tune in do so rooting for them to lose. When officials make questionable calls against us, the majority watching the games prefer that

So your claim that they are so popular ignores the reality of the situation. Most fans of football want to see Dallas lose – even with questionable calls. Yet you tried to appeal their popularity as a reason this doesn’t happen.
Perhaps it's your reading comprehension that is the mistake here. When did I ever say they don't receive questionable calls due to their popularity?

So according to you, the officials make calls against Dallas because that's what the majority of people want to see? Please go on...