The Nor's nemisis...the 4-2-5 defense.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even though the 4-2-5 (the "Nickel) has been mentioned by some of the Cowboy's brain trust as being on the field a lot... some have said upwards of 50% of the time why isn't anyone talking about it on the board?

Personally I find that defense intriguing with the use of Roy as a linebacker. I defy someone to say any other defense would put 11 better players on the field than:

Dllis DE
Glover DT
Canty/Spears DT (OK I'm cheating here-- tough!)
Ware DE
Dat LB
Burnett LB
Newman CB
Glenn CB
Roy SS
Davis FS
Henry CB

Talent wise I say Glenn is more talented than any of the other linebackers in my opinion and any defense that keeps Glover and/or Ellis off the field is a POS in my opinion.

So why aren't we hearing much about this defense?

Oh yeah! By the way--- "Bring it clownage"! :D

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
I do love the nickel package we will run out there.. One small counterpoint in regards to your list there, where is Fergy? I would imagine that the argument is you want more of a pass rusher type in nickel situations, however, to spend the money we did on Fergy and to have him on the field less than 50% of the time seems odd.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
I think we'll see some nickle in passing situations, Mikey. But that defense is easy to run on ...

And you also have Ware at DE ... I think he's better suited at LB ...

But props none-the-less for being creative ...

Kilyin

Reaction score
According to Nors every defense is 3-4 or 4-3 base. Otherwise it's a gimmicky prevent defense. So put away your gimmicky nickel, we only use the 3-4 now.

parchy

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
And you also have Ware at DE ... I think he's better suited at LB ...

Agreed. I hope he doesn't play one down of DE in the pros. He should be an exclusive linebacker now.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Even though the 4-2-5 (the "Nickel) has been mentioned by some of the Cowboy's brain trust as being on the field a lot... some have said upwards of 50% of the time why isn't anyone talking about it on the board?

Personally I find that defense intriguing with the use of Roy as a linebacker. I defy someone to say any other defense would put 11 better players on the field than:

Dllis DE
Glover DT
Ware DE
Dat LB
Burnett LB
Newman CB
Glenn CB
Roy SS
Davis FS
Henry CB

Talent wise I say Glenn is more talented than any of the other linebackers in my opinion and any defense that keeps Glover and/or Ellis off the field is a POS in my opinion.

And who the frick is Dllis?

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
parchy said:
Agreed. I hope he doesn't play one down of DE in the pros. He should be an exclusive linebacker now.

I won't mind seeing him move up from the LB spot ... but I think his size is a disadvantage if he gives away where he's going to be coming from ...

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Banned, is that girl in your sig so upset over the Eagirls loss that she is chugging on a whole pitcher of beer?

:laugh2:

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

Okay ;)
MichaelWinicki said:
Greg Ellis - Anthony Weaver
Glover - Dwan Edwards
Canty/Spears - Kelly Gregg/Maake Kemoeatu
Ware - Suggs
Dat - Ray Lewis
Burnett - Polley/Adalius Thomas LB
Newman - Samari Rolle
Glenn - Deion Sanders/Dale Carter
Roy - Ed Reed
Davis - Will Demps
Henry - Chris McAlister
MichaelWinicki said:

Interesting. Of course by now you know the team in comparison is the Ravens. They are actually experiementing with the 4-2-5.

I think our secondary isn't deep enough to field a 4-2-5 defense. I think we are a 4thCB/ true FS short to make that defense work. Also they are experiementing with proven players.

Kilyin

Reaction score
I think our secondary isn't deep enough to field a 4-2-5 defense. I think we are a 4thCB/ true FS short to make that defense work. Also they are experiementing with proven players.

You know all 32 teams run the 4-2-5 right? It's the standard nickel package.

I think you are mistaking this for the 46, which the Ravens are supposedly going to use.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
It does have the distinct advantage of keeping "ALs" off , so maybe 'he' won't mind the discussion.

Of course, rotations apply in any scheme...so Bradie and Shanle can be utilized.

Fergy will get a well needed rest.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Kilyin said:
You know all 32 teams run the 4-2-5 right? It's the standard nickel package.

I think you are mistaking this for the 46, which the Ravens are supposedly going to use.
Yep I got my defense mixed up. You are right.

The comparison shows that the Ravens can field 11 better players in the nickle package.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Fletch said:
Banned, is that girl in your sig so upset over the Eagirls loss that she is chugging on a whole pitcher of beer?

:laugh2:

:lmao:

Now that's MY idea of a Super Bowl party.

:beer2:

:thumbup:

:iggles:

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I am sure we will see quite a bit of the nickel and I am pretty excited about it.

I have been talking about 4-3 over/under schemes all offseason. I guess Saban runs a bit of it. I missed the last Miami game, but hope to catch the NFL Network replay tomorrow of the Jags game.

Anyway, its basically a front seven of Ware, Spears, Glover, Ferguson, Ellis, Burnett and Dat. Its very "3-4ish". I think it could be effective against the pass and the run.

http://www.phins.com/articles05/3-4defense.php

I think we are going to see many things like this in the upcoming year. Little tweaks on standard defenses to get the playmakers on the field. In fact, I have a hunch that there will be debates on exactly what kind of front is being run during some games.

Should be interesting.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

Dllis DE
Glover DT
Ware DE
Dat LB
Burnett LB
Newman CB
Glenn CB
Roy SS
Davis FS
Henry CB

Weve been using this formation for say about the past 40 years and we know what it brings to the table.

i will say that this formation is Zimmer's bread and butter, but dont count on him getting any credit for its success.

Realistically I like the idea of the 3-3-5 with the same personell just having Ware pickl his hand up and giving him better angles.

Imagine Ware and Roy blitzing at the same time out of that scheme.

I want to see how Newman blitzes from the slot.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
junk said:
I am sure we will see quite a bit of the nickel and I am pretty excited about it.

I have been talking about 4-3 over/under schemes all offseason. I guess Saban runs a bit of it. I missed the last Miami game, but hope to catch the NFL Network replay tomorrow of the Jags game.

Anyway, its basically a front seven of Ware, Spears, Glover, Ferguson, Ellis, Burnett and Dat. Its very "3-4ish". I think it could be effective against the pass and the run.

http://www.phins.com/articles05/3-4defense.php

I think we are going to see many things like this in the upcoming year. Little tweaks on standard defenses to get the playmakers on the field. In fact, I have a hunch that there will be debates on exactly what kind of front is being run during some games.

Should be interesting.

I just hope we utilize Dat as effectively as I think Saban will use Zach.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I think we'll see some nickle in passing situations, Mikey. But that defense is easy to run on ...

Depends on where you're playing Roy in that set. if he's within 5 yards of the LOS I'd day it's at least as good as some team's regular 4-3.

David.