The notion we are admitting defeat and tanking 2024 is interesting

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
-Biadasz is the only surprise so far. That 1 is slightly surprising to me that he wasn’t brought back.
-It was clear Pollard wasn’t McCarthy’s type of RB and wasn’t coming back.
-They were never going to pay that amount for a rotational guy like Armstrong. Stephen is without a doubt rubbing his grubby hands together at the thought of getting a 4th round comp pick back for a guy that was originally a 4th round investment.
-We need to move on from Tyron at this point, can’t have a LT you can only count on for maybe 12 healthy games

Who else have we lost or cut?

They will restructure someone (not Dak) in the coming days and we’ll sign a cheap LB, DT and RB. Bring back 1 of Gilmore/Lewis. Draft Oline
Call it a Super Bowl roster and say Dak/McCarthy need to prove themselves
Rinse and repeat next year
That's all most likely true, but that's exactly why its not rinse and repeat though. This isn't a prove it year for Dak...Dak holds all the cards and if Jerry says prove it Dak just goes to free agency and gets 10 bidders. The Dak situation and to a lesser extend the coaching staff is exactly what makes this year different. Jerry has positioned himself to move on completely and go a different direction after this season. With Dak unless an extension happens soon I can't see him returning to the Cowboys. It's not just a lack of participation in free agency that is different, its Jerry positioning his resources for 2025/2026 while watching his current squad get worse in real time.

I get that they were not going to pay a guy like Armstrong, but that doesn't take away that you need to now find a way to replace a part time player that racked up 9 sacks each of the last two years. I knew Biadasz was moving on but you still have to find at least a league average C just to get back to where you were. Same at LT. Pollard I dont view as a major loss, but you still need to actually upgrade the position. I don't see the depth this team has had in the past to replace these guys internally and this team looks like it is headed for 8 wins IMO.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You could, but it would splinter the team even more. You can evaluate talent before FA. You will also retain staff that can help with that. A new, quality HC wants to go in and win, set the tone. Being viewed as a hatchet man is counter productive.
That's an interesting thought. Random name but if they did want to bring in a Belichick for example you're saying someone like that would want to sit out a year let the tear down happen then they get to come in build the team up and be responsible for the "winning culture". I could see that, depending on who the HC target would be.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL, so a quality staff is suddenly going to be interested after we blow a season, the QB leaves, etc?

Nope. A quality staff would want to be in on the ground floor of a rebuild, have their say in players, etc. If the Cowboys are rebuilding, they are screwing it up. Surprise, surprise.
Nope! You're wrong. Coaches think differently than fans. They want a clean canvas. They don't want to go clean it.

Last edited:

Mark

Reaction score
First season to experience any kind of significant turnaround is 2026.

visionary

Reaction score
Have to believe that even the Joneses are not stupid enough to do this

Im thinking they believe that giving Dak a 4 year deal at 60 million (which is probably what he wants) is not the right course, and i agree with this. They probably approached Dak with the option to sign a longer term deal that is more team friendly and cheaper and he said, No. then they asked to him be traded to a suitable team and he said, No

Here you have an impasse so they are going to make it so he wants to leave . It may or may not work but that is likely the thinking.

I also believe that our HC next year is still either MM or Zimmer

JMO

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It's going to be a rough year, me thinks. I'm already mentally prepared for this season to fall on it's face.