The notion we are admitting defeat and tanking 2024 is interesting

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah. The only way it makes any sense at all is if they think they need them around to get deals with Lamb and Parsons done before changing directions. Either that or they are bitter for some reason and want to make Dak and McCarthy suffer through a humiliating season. That doesn't seem likely. I mean I would do that. But I'm an *** so...
I think it's because they are dumber'n dirt and don't know what to do at this point. Our only hope is that Jimmy tells Jerry what to do, w/ the caveat that Jerry listens.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
They are not “throwing the season away.” Jerry will never do that. 1- who knows how many years he has left, he’s not interested in a multi year rebuild. 2- a rebuild isn’t good for the brand, the team will remain relevant enough to be in the media and make him $

Over the past decade +
Regardless of the QB and his contract
Regardless of the coach and his contract
Regardless if the team is a SB contender or not
Regardless if they have a lot or a little cap space
THE COWBOYS DO NOT SIGN FREE AGENTS

Mind boggling to me that this off season is going exactly like every other 1 and people need to put on their tin foil hats and create these grand conspiracies
I get what you're saying, but this seems like wildly different circumstances. The Cowboys have shown zero interest in even resigning their own guys....except a long snapper. Coaching staff entirely on expiring deals. Jerry just made a trade to acquire a young/high potential QB while his current QB is on an expiring deal.

This isn't a situation like last year where we would like to see a better LB come in BUT we have a solid piece in LVE if he can stay healthy....Would like to see an upgrade at RB but you have a guy to tag in Tony Pollard....Would like to bring back Dalton Schultz but you had a guy who showed some flashes in Ferg. The last few years I think there have been some legitimate arguments that this team would be OK without being serious players in free agency. This year seems like we are on a clear path towards a roster downgrade. We can down play the losses of fringe guys like Biadasz and Armstrong, but these are at least league average players to add to the list of positions the Cowboys need to backfill just to get back to where they were in 2023. Not participating at free agency this year...or doing the annual James Washington type of pickup significantly leaves this team at a disadvantage going into 2024.

kskboys

Reaction score
Throwing away a season is not a good move.

If they want to rebuild, then rebuild. Don’t half *** it and throw away an entire season because you are incapable of doing completely what needed to be done.
Oh, I agree, just don't see Jerry having the smarts to do so. Maybe if Jimmy was hired on as more than a token?

kskboys

Reaction score
They are not “throwing the season away.” Jerry will never do that. 1- who knows how many years he has left, he’s not interested in a multi year rebuild. 2- a rebuild isn’t good for the brand, the team will remain relevant enough to be in the media and make him $

Over the past decade +

Mind boggling to me that this off season is going exactly like every other 1 and people need to put on their tin foil hats and create these grand conspiracies
Maybe. As has been pointed out several times now, Jerry was different after this loss.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This inaction isn't a new thing. Outside of their own free agents the Cowboys do not typically do much in the beginning of free agency. They wait, see who is left and wanting a supercheap deal then they begin. This year isn't any different.

Big_D

Reaction score
Really makes the long snapper signing a head scratcher at this point. They actually went out of their way to make sure that got done just to show they were hard at work!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not because it might be smart but because it would be idiotic and stupid yet so on point for this franchise.

What's the point in throwing away a season by not trying to get better BUT letting Dak play out his last year and bringing McCarthy back for his last year? If that's the plan, 2024 shouldn't be a throw away year, it should have some value to the rebuild. You should just dump Dak. You should not have brought McCarthy back. Lance should be playing to see if there is even a remote chance he can be salvaged. You should have a new coaching staff in here to work with him and the young players.

If the Cowboys inaction in FA is basically them saying, look, we need a new direction so we are just going to save our powder for 2025 and play out 2024, fine. A rebuild strategy is something I can get behind. But if the method of the rebuild is to just let Dak play out his deal and you brought McCarthy back for ***** and giggles, the plan behind the strategy is downright stupid.
If it is a wasted year, bringing back MM is the right move. You don't want a new staff to start during a tank season. Bring them in immediately after this year and let them have a say in player acquisition.
A new staff needs the confidence of the team, you can't get that if players are worried about their future. Start fresh with coaches and players that fit their schemes.

Sydla

Reaction score

Over the past decade +

Oh most definitely, this could (and likely) just be typical Jerry and Stephen arrogance at work here. But the fact Dak isn't extended yet and the fact they have some easy restructures that could get done (and they have done early in the process in prior years), gives off a weird vibe.

But again, more than likely it's just two cheap owners in FA with no real plan to get better. Just sign random dudes at positions they think they have holes.

Sydla

Reaction score
If it is a wasted year, bringing back MM is the right move. You don't want a new staff to start during a tank season. Bring them in immediately after this year and let them have a say in player acquisition.
A new staff needs the confidence of the team, you can't get that if players are worried about their future. Start fresh with coaches and players that fit their schemes.
Nope.

You'd want a new staff in place as soon as possible to evaluate the current roster, see who fits and who doesn't, etc.

Aven8

Reaction score
That's the one piece that would make sense, MM has a great history working with QBs. With that said though wouldn't you want the next QB to be working within the next system he would actually be playing in though? It's why I'm not of the opinion you have to fire MM, but why not just commit and give the guy an extension? I'd rather go through the offseason, the draft, and this season with these players having an actual direction the team is building towards than the unknown. Thats the part I dont understand at all.
Only other coach I would want currently is Ben Johnson maybe to work with a younger QB. Outside of that forget it. I don’t trust these fools.

jgboys1

Reaction score
I feel like the 2024 season for the Dallas Cowboys will be like driftwood, just floating and bobbing around in the ocean and the 2025 and 2026 seasons they will be like the Titanic and all coaches and players looking for lifeboats.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
But couldn't you start that this year and have a few developmental targets a new staff could work into a new scheme and try to build up? Especially when it comes to the draft this is where my worry is. How do you draft what you would like to be cornerstone player of the next few years when you don't even know who will be leading the team the next few years? On defense we are now likely to see 3 coordinator/systems in 3 years. How do guys develop that way?

tm1119

Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but this seems like wildly different circumstances. The Cowboys have shown zero interest in even resigning their own guys....except a long snapper. Coaching staff entirely on expiring deals. Jerry just made a trade to acquire a young/high potential QB while his current QB is on an expiring deal.

This isn't a situation like last year where we would like to see a better LB come in BUT we have a solid piece in LVE if he can stay healthy....Would like to see an upgrade at RB but you have a guy to tag in Tony Pollard....Would like to bring back Dalton Schultz but you had a guy who showed some flashes in Ferg. The last few years I think there have been some legitimate arguments that this team would be OK without being serious players in free agency. This year seems like we are on a clear path towards a roster downgrade. We can down play the losses of fringe guys like Biadasz and Armstrong, but these are at least league average players to add to the list of positions the Cowboys need to backfill just to get back to where they were in 2023. Not participating at free agency this year...or doing the annual James Washington type of pickup significantly leaves this team at a disadvantage going into 2024.
-Biadasz is the only surprise so far. That 1 is slightly surprising to me that he wasn’t brought back.
-It was clear Pollard wasn’t McCarthy’s type of RB and wasn’t coming back.
-They were never going to pay that amount for a rotational guy like Armstrong. Stephen is without a doubt rubbing his grubby hands together at the thought of getting a 4th round comp pick back for a guy that was originally a 4th round investment.
-We need to move on from Tyron at this point, can’t have a LT you can only count on for maybe 12 healthy games

Who else have we lost or cut?

They will restructure someone (not Dak) in the coming days and we’ll sign a cheap LB, DT and RB. Bring back 1 of Gilmore/Lewis. Draft Oline
Call it a Super Bowl roster and say Dak/McCarthy need to prove themselves
Rinse and repeat next year

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Total shot in the dark here and absolutely zero evidence other than things just are not adding up, but could Jerry be trying to trade Dak but Dak refuses to accept one? Could the total lack of activity in free agency be Jerry's leverage?
I won't go this far......yet, but I do think Jerry may have put his foot down and said here are the options.

* Agree to an extension before the draft
* Waive the NTC
* Play out the 2024 season but we better win coz if the season goes south we will start Lance
I think the fact they refused to restructure any contracts up to this point is a direct message to Dak and France that they are serious.

But to be honest, if it has gotten to this point ...........there may be too much damage to overcome

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope.

You'd want a new staff in place as soon as possible to evaluate the current roster, see who fits and who doesn't, etc.
Nope....you're wrong. A quality staff wouldn't take that job.

Redline360

Reaction score
The smart move would be to dump Dak this year and begin the rebuild process. However, Jerry is never going to do this especially at his age and will never accept a few years of rebuilding. They need to stay just enough relevant to he talked about in Jerrys mind.

Wouldn't shock me one bit if we overpay Dak, Parsons, and CD crippling us even further

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But couldn't you start that this year and have a few developmental targets a new staff could work into a new scheme and try to build up? Especially when it comes to the draft this is where my worry is. How do you draft what you would like to be cornerstone player of the next few years when you don't even know who will be leading the team the next few years? On defense we are now likely to see 3 coordinator/systems in 3 years. How do guys develop that way?
You could, but it would splinter the team even more. You can evaluate talent before FA. You will also retain staff that can help with that. A new, quality HC wants to go in and win, set the tone. Being viewed as a hatchet man is counter productive.

Sydla

Reaction score
Nope....you're wrong. A quality staff wouldn't take that job.
LOL, so a quality staff is suddenly going to be interested after we blow a season, the QB leaves, etc?

Nope. A quality staff would want to be in on the ground floor of a rebuild, have their say in players, etc. If the Cowboys are rebuilding, they are screwing it up. Surprise, surprise.