The offense struggling early in TC is a good thing

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that is more on new players on the OL and at WR. Way to early to call this defense borderline elite.

I do agree any reaction to camp early on is overreaction. The QB has already had an exemplary day followed by a stinker.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone that knows football, knows that the defense is always ahead of the game...offense takes longer to get....offense is way more complicated than defense. Give it time, it'll be ok.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It's really hard to predict this stuff. I'm just going by the Dallas SOP. It points to us not being much better than average. I truly hope that's not the case. But who knows?

We need the defense to carry this the first 4-6 games. Otherwise, we may lose 3-4 of our first 5 games and things could get ugly.....real fast.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Hopefully he uses that focus and finds a new group of friends

Agreed, and maybe this is a chance to create new packages that can give the WRs more separation or other things that would benefit moving the ball. As stated, if they can figure this out, then they will know how to solve the problem during the season. If not, then we will be 5-12.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Anyone that knows football, knows that the defense is always ahead of the game...offense takes longer to get....offense is way more complicated than defense. Give it time, it'll be ok.

And that's another factor. This is correct. Couple that with the defence being, imo, a top 10 defence, and it can only help the offense learn how to adjust to top defences. What better way to solve a defence than to go up against a top 10 defence in practice every day?

Mannix

Reaction score
I have to give our resident Equine props for looking at the glass half full…..nothing wrong with finding a silver lining

if our defense gets ranked top 5 we can revisit this thread and fondle Rusty’s mane
If we end up with a Top 5 Defense and exit in Round 1, then Booger and Chuckles must both be hanged in the Frisco City Square for not pushing all their chips to the middle of the table in FA.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Pretty simple..as a norm the defense looks better early as its a reactionary stance most of the time as the offense is a timing stance...throw in we have more new players getting reps with each other on offense than we do defense and the 4 TC days are pretty standard so far...its not crazy that offenses dont hit thier stride till several games into the season even as the defenses around the league have a leg up with the very low amount of padded practices in TC now days.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Pretty simple..as a norm the defense looks better early as its a reactionary stance most of the time as the offense is a timing stance...throw in we have more new players getting reps with each other on offense than we do defense and the 4 TC days are pretty standard so far...its not crazy that offenses dont hit thier stride till several games into the season even as the defenses around the league have a leg up with the very low amount of padded practices in TC now days.

Exactly, the offense will get better, I'm sure, and if they can beat this defence, we will be fine.

Reaction score
It means that our defence really is a great defence or borderline elite, as we know. Considering who we are playing week 1, it's important that our offense struggles early with our defence, as good as it is. It means they have to work that much harder to get in sync with each other. It means the offense has to be creative because the simple stuff simply won't work on our defence. Now, next week, I expect them to start beating the D a bit more. It's not like it used to be where our offense ran roughshod on the D in TC, and couldn't figure out top defences. Our defence really is a top D, and struggling against them can be helpful for the long-term season.

Or they both stink and the offense just stinks more,,,, so there's that ,,, :p

reddyuta

Reaction score
i dont think Dak is having a great camp.he is missing a lot of guys and is dumping off a lot,this could be be because of the pass rush but i feel the issues of last year is not resolved at all.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
i dont think Dak is having a great camp.he is missing a lot of guys and is dumping off a lot,this could be be because of the pass rush but i feel the issues of last year is not resolved at all.

Well, also, this is his first full camp with CeeDee, and the other WRs are ones he's probably never worked with excluding Brown or, at most, one year. Here are the WRs we have that are NOT injured:

• Fehoko
  • Brown
  • Dontario Drummond (Rookie)
  • Ty Fryfogle (Rookie)
  • Dennis Houston (Rookie)
  • CeeDee Lamb
  • Brandon Smith
  • Jaquarii Roberson (Rookie)
  • Jalen Tolbert (Rookie)
  • KaVontae Turpin (USFL)
  • T.J. Vasher
That's probably a good reason why he's missing WRs at times.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Well, also, this is his first full camp with CeeDee, and the other WRs are ones he's probably never worked with excluding Brown or, at most, one year. Here are the WRs we have that are NOT injured:

• Fehoko
  • Brown
  • Dontario Drummond (Rookie)
  • Ty Fryfogle (Rookie)
  • Dennis Houston (Rookie)
  • CeeDee Lamb
  • Brandon Smith
  • Jaquarii Roberson (Rookie)
  • Jalen Tolbert (Rookie)
  • KaVontae Turpin (USFL)
  • T.J. Vasher
That's probably a good reason why he's missing WRs at times.

Logic is a great way to explain things and this is sound logic!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Logic is a great way to explain things and this is sound logic!

Exactly, and having them blanketed by the likes of Diggs, Anthony Brown, and Kelvin Joseph is probably making things more difficult than it probably used to be. Thus, especially going up against Diggs and Brown, they're bound to improve because they're taking on one of the best CBs in the league and a very good one as well. Also, Joseph, being as apparently focused as he is, should make for quite a bit better competition. So, even if Dak is hitting the WRs, they're running routes against top DBs. That's not easy, but, especially given who we open the season with, is very necessary for the offense to learn how to create routes that can beat the best DBs in the league because we have one of them. And that's just the corners, not to mention some of our safeties. This goes to the premise of this thread.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Exactly, and having them blanketed by the likes of Diggs, Anthony Brown, and Kelvin Joseph is probably making things more difficult than it probably used to be. Thus, especially going up against Diggs and Brown, they're bound to improve because they're taking on one of the best CBs in the league and a very good one as well. Also, Joseph, being as apparently focused as he is, should make for quite a bit better competition. So, even if Dak is hitting the WRs, they're running routes against top DBs. That's not easy, but, especially given who we open the season with, is very necessary for the offense to learn how to create routes that can beat the best DBs in the league because we have one of them. And that's just the corners, not to mention some of our safeties. This goes to the premise of this thread.

I forgot, they're also facing Jourdan Lewis who is always a sneaky good slot corner. So yes, that's a very good reason why the WRs are struggling. Oh, and there's Wright who has made nice plays. By and large, the WRs have their work cut out just based on who they're facing. That's why our offense hasn't looked great. They're playing some good to great players being coached by a mad scientist.