The Offsides Call at the end of regulation

Mike_45

Reaction score
FloridaRob;2334754 said:
The rule again is explicit. If the refs call a timeout on the offense with no timeouts left, the refs must run 10 seconds off the clock before they are allowed to hike it. In your scenario the game would have been over.

Isnt that if the offense has the injury or a penalty, and in this case it was a defender that had the supposed injury.

superpunk

Reaction score
FloridaRob;2334754 said:
The rule again is explicit. If the refs call a timeout on the offense with no timeouts left, the refs must run 10 seconds off the clock before they are allowed to hike it. In your scenario the game would have been over.
You're confused.
BraveHeartFan;2334759 said:
Except the refs CAN'T call the time out on the offense. The Cowboys aren't required to call time out for an injured Card player.

If the refs stop the clock in that situation they're putting time back on the clock and they're charging the Cards with the Timeout, not Dallas.
This.

kmd24

Reaction score
FloridaRob;2334754 said:

He's talking about a Cards player being injured, not a Cowboys player.

BBQ101

Reaction score
FloridaRob;2334754 said:

What are you talking about? A Cardinal player was injured. Not a Cowboy.

BBQ

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Mike_45;2334766 said:
Isnt that if the offense has the injury or a penalty, and in this case it was a defender that had the supposed injury.

I was responding to his scenario about if a Cowboy player was hurt at the end.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
superpunk;2334769 said:
You're confused.

This.

you might be right. I thought if there was an injury the refs had to stop teh clock. REgardelss of who it was. After the clock stopped they had to determine the correct protocol.....

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
As someone else said, if he was really hurt, they would've had to stop the clock much sooner, giving Dallas additional time to run another play.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The Cardinal player was limping off the field. If he fell to the ground, the refs would've had to stop the clock for an injury TO. The Cardinal coaches would've flipped out if the player did this. They hoped he either got off the field or that the refs would miss it. They should have called a TO right before Romo spiked it and saved the 5 yds.

Tom [Giants fan]

Reaction score
superpunk;2334661 said:
Well then that's the Cardinals fault, and had nothing to do with the referees, or the general premise of this thread, did it?

Actually, it did. The original post said the refs messed up. My point was that it was just as much the Cardinals fault.

Tom [Giants fan]

Reaction score
FloridaRob;2334673 said:
the NFL rule to an injury in the last two minutes is explicit. The refs stop the clock and take away a time out or they stop the clock for the injury and take off 10 seconds if the team has no time out left. (for the offense) it was not up to the Cardinals to take a timeout for injury. No team does that anyway..

When the Cardinals realized they had that guy on the field down field, they should have taken the timeout. It doesn't matter if teams do that or not. The refs weren't stopping the game so they should have. Even though I only coach high school football, I have taken a time out when I saw it not possible for my player to get off the field or get onsides on time. If I can do it as a high school coach, I would think they are smart enough as professionals to do it.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Tom [Giants fan];2335065 said:
Actually, it did. The original post said the refs messed up. My point was that it was just as much the Cardinals fault.

its kind of funny. The whistle should have blown. Laboy couldnt get up or off the field on his own. Dallas should have had about 10 to 12 more seconds on the clock, a timeout should have been called.

Its just another one of those things that officials all call it differently.

last week against the bengals flozell adams dinged his head and was getting up slowly, but he got up and was staning talking to romo and the official came over and called the officials timeout for an injury and made flo miss a play. And adams got up and was on his way to the huddle and they still called the timeout.

The refs blew it, but to think it is some conspiracy in favor of Dallas is seriously ********.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Actually the refs will not stop the play unless the player is on the ground, but fortunately he was standing up walking......therefore the refs thought he was tired since he was not lying on the ground

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Q_the_man;2335159 said:
Actually the refs will not stop the play unless the player is on the ground, but fortunately he was standing up walking......therefore the refs thought he was tired since he was not lying on the ground

they stopped it last week with Flozell standing up talking to the official and romo..

its just a judgement call.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FloridaRob;2334754 said:
In my scenario, the Cardinals were on DEFENSE and the rule wouldn't apply. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Maybe you should go back and re-read what I posted ..

-Reality

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FloridaRob;2334797 said:
I was responding to his scenario about if a Cowboy player was hurt at the end.
I never said a Cowboys player was injured or even referred to that ..

-Reality

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Tom [Giants fan];2335074 said:
When the Cardinals realized they had that guy on the field down field, they should have taken the timeout. It doesn't matter if teams do that or not. The refs weren't stopping the game so they should have. Even though I only coach high school football, I have taken a time out when I saw it not possible for my player to get off the field or get onsides on time. If I can do it as a high school coach, I would think they are smart enough as professionals to do it.
Would you definitely do that even if there was a chance that the clock would run out before the snap and the game would be over?