The only way we can win the division is to go 6-1

Yobwocs

Reaction score
And the loss can only be to Detroit. It can't be to anyone else. And we of course have to beat the Eagles at home.

And then hope the Eagles lose 2 out of 3 to Seattle, Buffalo, and 49ers. Or they could lose to Giants-Giants-Cardinals but that's not gonna happen.

Other than that.... we better root for Detroit. Not guaranteed they seal the #1 seed either, because they have Broncos-Vikings-Vikings-Cowboys.

Aven8

Reaction score
So Hurts can’t get his leg caved in and be out for the year and they still win? Buffalo can’t win? On and on? Didn’t they lose to Zach Wilson?

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Not understanding the logic with Detroit being the desired loss. AFC losses are far better for tiebreakers. Philly’s only loss is to the Jets so they need to lose 3 NFC games (1 of them to us) and we’d have to go 6-1 with a loss to Miami or Buffalo just to match their division and NFC records.

So basically Philly HAS to lose to SF, Seattle and us or the division is over. Only other hope we have is the Giants pulling the unthinkable and handing Philly a division loss that may give us the division in a tiebreaker.

I’d give us like a 1% chance at this point.

Last edited:

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
It’s looking like the only way we can guarantee a division title is going undefeated the rest of the way and hoping Philly drops 3 games or 2 division games with one being to us. All the semi-realistic tiebreakers I’ve looked into seem to go Philly’s way.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Division title is not worth an ounce of fertilizer. Dallas is going to have to beat a talented team that fights back. And we know what normally happens in that situation. That is the crux of the matter.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Not understanding the logic with Detroit being the desired loss. AFC losses are far better for tiebreakers. Philly’s only loss is to the Jets so they need to lose 3 NFC games (1 of them to us) and we’d have to go 6-1 with a loss to Miami or Buffalo just to match their division and NFC records.

So basically Philly HAS to lose to SF, Seattle and us or the division is over. Only other hope we have is the Giants pulling the unthinkable and handing Philly a division loss that may give us the division in a tiebreaker.

I’d give us like a 1% chance at this point.
No.

Detroit is not a common game. Common games take precedence over conference opponents.

This is why I think we should root for Detroit in every game from this point on, including vs the Cowboys.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
No.

Detroit is not a common game. Common games take precedence over conference opponents.

This is why I think we should root for Detroit in every game from this point on, including vs the Cowboys.

Got it….I see now. I always assume conference record is below division record. That actually seems a little less daunting but it’s still 1% chance territory.

plasticman

Reaction score
In 1970 the season was 14 games long. After 9 games the Cowboys stood 5-4. They had just been beaten by the St. Louis Cardinals on Monday Night football 38-0.

There were three divisions in each conference back then. The NFC East had one additional team, the St. Louis Cardinals.

There was only one wildcard team in each conference.

Again, the Cowboys were 5-4 with 5 games left to play. The Giants were 6-3. The Cardinals were 7-2.

The Cowboys won out and ended the regular season 10-4. The Giants lost 2 of their last 5 games, going 9-5. The Cardinals lost their last 3 games, also finishing 9-5. The Cowboys won the division and would go on to win the conference and go to their first Super Bowl.

In 1975 the Cowboys and the Cardinals were both 8-3 when they met in the 12th game of a 14 game regular season. The HC of the Cardinals, by the way, was Don Coryell. The Cardinals won convincingly. The Cowboys ended up as the wildcard team., Up to that point, no wildcard team had ever reached the Super Bowl.

However, the first "Hail Mary" pass took the Cowboys to the NFC championship game against the Rams who destroyed the NFC east champions Cardinals. Obviously, the Rams were greatly favored. This wasn't as apparent to Roger Staubach and the young Cowboys defense. Roger started the game off with four consecutive TD passes and the defense held the Rams to one TD as the Cowboys upset the Rams 37-7 to reach their 3rd Super Bowl appearance.

Past Cowboys games can provide reminders that it ain't over until it's over. And it ain't over.

Blackrain

Reaction score
In 1970 the season was 14 games long. After 9 games the Cowboys stood 5-4. They had just been beaten by the St. Louis Cardinals on Monday Night football 38-0.

There were three divisions in each conference back then. The NFC East had one additional team, the St. Louis Cardinals.

There was only one wildcard team in each conference.

Again, the Cowboys were 5-4 with 5 games left to play. The Giants were 6-3. The Cardinals were 7-2.

The Cowboys won out and ended the regular season 10-4. The Giants lost 2 of their last 5 games, going 9-5. The Cardinals lost their last 3 games, also finishing 9-5. The Cowboys won the division and would go on to win the conference and go to their first Super Bowl.

In 1975 the Cowboys and the Cardinals were both 8-3 when they met in the 12th game of a 14 game regular season. The HC of the Cardinals, by the way, was Don Coryell. The Cardinals won convincingly. The Cowboys ended up as the wildcard team., Up to that point, no wildcard team had ever reached the Super Bowl.

However, the first "Hail Mary" pass took the Cowboys to the NFC championship game against the Rams who destroyed the NFC east champions Cardinals. Obviously, the Rams were greatly favored. This wasn't as apparent to Roger Staubach and the young Cowboys defense. Roger started the game off with four consecutive TD passes and the defense held the Rams to one TD as the Cowboys upset the Rams 37-7 to reach their 3rd Super Bowl appearance.

Past Cowboys games can provide reminders that it ain't over until it's over. And it ain't over.
You're 100% right brother I remember all those games the only problem is there's no Roger Staubach or Tom Landry on this team Bob Lily isn't anchoring this defensive line and neither is Randy White .

They were the real Dallas Cowboys America's team The Best of the Best.
These teams were built to go to and win super bowls.

We now have Jerry's boys a team that's built to stay relevant. And just make the playoffs which is what we will do if all goes well

plymkr

Reaction score
Just take it one game at a time. I really feel if Dak plays up to his ability, the defense plays up to it’s ability, WRs, offensive line, ST’s etc all play up to their ability I feel we can hang/beat any team. All this pre-analysis is fun to discuss but just worry about ourselves. No one in the NFL is invincible.
49ers lost 3 in a row and those teams that beat them are not exactly power houses.
Eagles lost to the Jets and could have easily lost to us and should have lost tonight but the Chiefs WRs are socially distancing themselves from the ball.
Detroit barely beat the bears

And I can go on and on. I’m not ready to concede anything to anyone. We may lose the division but I feel strongly if we don’t beat ourselves we can hang with anyone.

Everyone knows I’m no Dak apologist or a Dak Stan but the last 4 games he’s been playing a ton better then he did the first 4 games. His TOs are down, his accuracy seems to be better, he’s using his legs. Dak seems to be coming into his own this season and if he stays at this level and no choking then we are a scary team.

Have heart Cowboys fans, there’s a lot of football left and we might be peaking at the right time as opposed to other years when we peaked in early in the season and faltered as the season went on.

Go Cowboys!!!!

Zman5

Reaction score
Eagirls lost to the Heineki lead Commanders in Philly last year. They also lost to the Jets this year. I won't be surprised if they drop one against the Giants.

There is also that streak of no repeat winners in NFC east for past 20 years. So anything can happen from now till end of the season.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Division title is not worth an ounce of fertilizer. Dallas is going to have to beat a talented team that fights back. And we know what normally happens in that situation. That is the crux of the matter.
The home team always (75+ percent) wins in the playoffs.

Thats a 6 percent chance of getting to the NFC champ game, if we are a road team.