The only way we can win the division is to go 6-1

LittleD

Reaction score
And the loss can only be to Detroit. It can't be to anyone else. And we of course have to beat the Eagles at home.

And then hope the Eagles lose 2 out of 3 to Seattle, Buffalo, and 49ers. Or they could lose to Giants-Giants-Cardinals but that's not gonna happen.

Other than that.... we better root for Detroit. Not guaranteed they seal the #1 seed either, because they have Broncos-Vikings-Vikings-Cowboys.
Dude, we will be extremely fortunate to just make the playoffs as a wild card... Then one and done with eyes for next year's draft.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
How so? In no way does losing to an NFC team help Dallas in a tiebreaker scenario with Philly where it goes to a conference tiebreaker.
Hope that Detroit is #1

Then hope that SF/Phil play each other as the #2 and #3 in the 2nd round

Then we play the winner on the road in the champ game, after we beat Detroit in Detroit.

So there’s a chance.

I guess.

Sydla

Reaction score
How so? In no way does losing to an NFC team help Dallas in a tiebreaker scenario with Philly where it goes to a conference tiebreaker.
Common games is the tiebreaker before the conference record tiebreaker. People often miss this.

In other words, after divisional record, the team with the better record from these games would win the division:

- Miami
- Buffalo
- San Fran
- Jets
- Cards
- Seattle
- NE
- Rams

Right now, we are 3-2 in common games and Philly is 3-1. So when the OP says we can go 6-1 and lose to only Detroit and Philly has to lose at least 2 of their 4 remaining common games, he's accurate.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Common games is the tiebreaker before the conference record tiebreaker. People often miss this.

In other words, after divisional record, the team with the better record from these games would win the division:

- Miami
- Buffalo
- San Fran
- Jets
- Cards
- Seattle
- NE
- Rams

Right now, we are 3-2 in common games and Philly is 3-1. So when the OP says we can go 6-1 and lose to only Detroit and Philly has to lose at least 2 of their 4 remaining common games, he's accurate.
I know but we don’t know how common opponents work out yet. I’m assuming it goes to conference tiebreaker next. If it does, Dallas can’t have that one loss to an NFC team whether it’s Detroit, Wash or Seattle. In my scenario where it goes to conference, Dallas can only lose to Miami or Buffalo, that’s it.

That Arizona game is the thorn that probably keeps it at common opponents though :facepalm:

Sydla

Reaction score
I know but we don’t know how common opponents work out yet. I’m assuming it goes to conference tiebreaker next. If it does, Dallas can’t have that one loss to an NFC team whether it’s Detroit, Wash or Seattle. In my scenario where it goes to conference, Dallas can only lose to Miami or Buffalo, that’s it.

That Arizona game is the thorn that probably keeps it at common opponents though :facepalm:
We don't know how conference tiebreakers work either at this point and because it's below common games, the OPs post is accurate and the most likely path to a divisional title is through the higher tiebreaker - common games.

My guess is his point is that it's unlikely we can win out so if we have to lose a game, Detroit is the least important one. And he's accurate when he says that.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We don't know how conference tiebreakers work either at this point and because it's below common games, the OPs post is accurate and the most likely path to a divisional title is through the higher tiebreaker - common games.

My guess is his point is that it's unlikely we can win out so if we have to lose a game, Detroit is the least important one. And he's accurate when he says that.
If the tiebreaker stops at common games, then yes…..he is correct. I just have a feeling that it will go to conference next(looking over schedules) making Detroit a needed win. Were all arguing semantics here, Dallas still needs to go 6-1 at worst :muttley:

Sydla

Reaction score
If the tiebreaker stops at common games, then yes…..he is correct. I just have a feeling that it will go to conference next(looking over schedules) making Detroit a needed win. Were all arguing semantics here, Dallas still needs to go 6-1 at worst :muttley:
LOL true.

And if it gets to conference tiebreakers, we lose. Because Philly has an out of conference loss to the Jets and they have zero non-common NFC games left. So if we finish with the same record and it gets to the conference tiebreaker, we lose. There is no way we can win that tiebreaker (or tie that tiebreaker).

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LOL true.

And if it gets to conference tiebreakers, we lose. Because Philly has an out of conference loss to the Jets and they have zero non-common NFC games left. So if we finish with the same record and it gets to the conference tiebreaker, we lose. There is no way we can win that tiebreaker (or tie that tiebreaker).
I’ve penciled in two more losses(NFC) for them-SF and Seattle. That puts both at two conference losses, excluding each other. We would have to pull for the Gnats to steal one of their two games :laugh:

ICP

Reaction score
Unless Philthy gets some significant injuries you might as well prepare for a road game path to get to the SB. And if anything, history has thought us that Dallas as a Wild card team does not usually pan out well

Sydla

Reaction score
I’ve penciled in two more losses(NFC) for them-SF and Seattle. That puts both at two conference losses, excluding each other. We would have to pull for the Gnats to steal one of their two games :laugh:
But if they lose to SF and Seattle, that would give us the common games tiebreaker assuming we only lose to Detroit down the stretch.

But I guess, in that scenario, we could lose to the Dolphins which would give us the same common games record but also the same conference record and then it gets into the deep weeds of tiebreakers. LOL.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Losing to Detroit would not bode well for a divisional tiebreaker. If Dallas goes 6-1, that loss better be to an AFC team.
Just look at how Dallas played against winning teams and view that result. Now tell me if there is more or less chance that this team goes out and beats Detroit?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just look at how Dallas played against winning teams and view that result. Now tell me if there is more or less chance that this team goes out and beats Detroit?
It’s in Dallas, if they can’t beat them at home then all this playoff talk is nonsense. Dallas wins that game, nothing scary about it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We can pretty well forget about winning division now without a major collapse from Egirls.

Maybe Hurts will further injure his knee . He has a NFL record 13 straight regular season wins over winning record teams .

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Division title is not worth an ounce of fertilizer
Dallas is undefeated at home. Division title gives you an excellent shot at a home playoff game. After that, if wild card teams win, Dallas could host the NFC championship game. So, no, the division title is not "not worth an ounce of fertilizer"

Your goals for the season, in order (barring playing to lose for draft spots) are:
1. Make the playoffs. Can't win the SB if you're not in the playoffs.
2. Win the division. As noted above.
3. Get home field advantage all the way through the playoffs. Especially for domed stadium teams, but not playing in severe cold, or rain or such is good for most any NFL team.

Division titles have value....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
5th seed is fine . We should blow out any South Div winner like last year. Then have a shot at Det, SF or Phi.

It’s more a matter where would you prefer going in Div rd. I’m thinking Det.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
And the loss can only be to Detroit. It can't be to anyone else. And we of course have to beat the Eagles at home.

And then hope the Eagles lose 2 out of 3 to Seattle, Buffalo, and 49ers. Or they could lose to Giants-Giants-Cardinals but that's not gonna happen.

Other than that.... we better root for Detroit. Not guaranteed they seal the #1 seed either, because they have Broncos-Vikings-Vikings-Cowboys.
If it doesn't happen does it mean we're out of the playoffs, or just out of being the top seed?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We can pretty well forget about winning division now without a major collapse from Egirls.

Maybe Hurts will further injure his knee . He has a NFL record 13 straight regular season wins over winning record teams .
Well, after last night winning the division is a pipe dream. Dallas' only hope was to have Philly lose several of their "tough" games in the next few weeks, with Dallas winning all of their next few "weak" games.
They have now beaten one of them, and two of their next 3 "tough" games are at home. The Iggles finish with 2 of 3 against the Giants, who are currently 3-8, and will probably be playing for higher draft picks.

It is what it is, all Dallas can do is play....