The pass to TO in the endzone... Should he have caught it?

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
TonyS said:
Reading Randy Galloways putprid piece of journalism located here:

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/15415837.htm

He states:

Does anyone else agree that Glenn or KJ catch that ball? And, if so, how? The pass looked behind him and looked to me like he didn't even have a chance at it.

You know that in the game in October if Delhomo and Key score a couple of TDs, Galloway will be pronouncing, see I told you, we should have signed Delhomo and kept Key, instead we have the terrible Bledsoe and butthead Owens.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the play was an option route to TO's side. The options were a fade to the back pylon or the backside throw. The CB had cut off the route to the corner, TO was late getting back to option #2 and Romo gave him no chance of success with a high and inside pass. The blame falls at both feet. TO's for not recognizing quicker that his first route was dead in the water, and Romo for a back-up caliber pass. ;)

SS

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://i5.***BLOCKED***/albums/y164/nbr1diva/Cowboys/Vikings/owens2.jpg

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
http://i5.***BLOCKED***/albums/y164/nbr1diva/Cowboys/Vikings/owens2.jpg

That picture is misleading, the angle makes it look a lot closer than it really is

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
...I liked the play and would keep running it with T.O. I think more times than not, he will catch that ball. ...

ditto here. that'll be one of the cowboys bread-and-butter redzone plays all season.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
That picture is misleading, the angle makes it look a lot closer than it really is
like other posters have already stated - it's just a timing thing.

owens is at about a 45 degree angle to the endzone surface. to me that bespeaks effort on his part. and if i'm sitting in judgement on this one...

this case is closed.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I thought the pass was a bit wide for where TO was positioned. Could be that the pass was either too wide, or TO was not far enough to the sideline.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
At the least it dispels the "half-arsed" statement.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
he woulda caught it if your beloved romo didn't take forever. he shoulda thrown that ball 2 seconds sooner

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bigbadroy said:
he woulda caught it if your beloved romo didn't take forever. he shoulda thrown that ball 2 seconds sooner
How would throwing it sooner have changed anything?

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
theogt said:
At the least it dispels the "half-arsed" statement.

How so? Watch the play again. The whole route seems rather nonchalant to me. He ran it like he thought the ball wasn't coming his way. Very hesitant. Just becasue he sticks one arm out there doesn't mean he was trying all that hard. Sure he made a little extension at the very end of the play, but he wouldn't have even fallen to the ground if he hadn't been pushed. I think a receiver running harder makes that catch. This clearly isn't a big deal, and i'm sure he makes that catch in week 1. Anyway, thats just my opinion. I think TO is one hell of a player, i just don't think that particular play was his best effort.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
tomson75 said:
How so? Watch the play again. The whole route seems rather nonchalant to me. He ran it like he thought the ball wasn't coming his way. Very hesitant. Just becasue he sticks one arm out there doesn't mean he was trying all that hard. Sure he made a little extension at the very end of the play, but he wouldn't have even fallen to the ground if he hadn't been pushed. I think a receiver running harder makes that catch. This clearly isn't a big deal, and i'm sure he makes that catch in week 1. Anyway, thats just my opinion. I think TO is one hell of a player, i just don't think that particular play was his best effort.
I'll have to watch it when badronald gets it posted. I've seen the play on highlights and I don't remember thinking that he should have caught it. I'll hold off judgment til I can analyze it. Looking at the pic alone, however, it looks very much like he is diving for the ball.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
theogt said:
I'll have to watch it when badronald gets it posted. I've seen the play on highlights and I don't remember thinking that he should have caught it. I'll hold off judgment til I can analyze it. Looking at the pic alone, however, it looks very much like he is diving for the ball.

Fair enough.

Murph80

Reaction score
If he comes out of his cut harder and faster he makes this catch easily. He spent to much time in front of the defender and didn't come back hard.

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
YoMick said:
Yeah I was waiting for this one.... LOL

I was thinking same thing when I saw it on ESPN... once he is back in playing shape... then I think he makes those....

i don't even think its that its just a timing issue....looks like maybe he went alittle too deep in the endzone

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
I believe that Keyshawn does make that catch. That type of route was his specialty.

On the other hand, as another poster pointed out, I'm sure we will see Owens do several things this season that Keyshawn couldn't do in his wildest dreams.

jman

Reaction score
Murph80 said:
If he comes out of his cut harder and faster he makes this catch easily. He spent to much time in front of the defender and didn't come back hard.

I tend to agree with this opinion.

Yes, it coulda been a catchable pass, but TO didn't cut as soon as he maybe should have. Either way, what's the point of arguing about it? To make Galloway happy? He lives for this kinda crap.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
This thread should be locked that's how dumb it is. Qb-reciever mix up, half *** try in preseason. Dont make anything of it. If you do, you have way to much time on your hands.