The Pitts talk is mental

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Pitts looks pretty damn special. There's been athletes of his caliber at TE before, but none of Fant, Engram, Ebron, Davis, etc had the kind of natural feel at receiver that he does.

Really hope another team drafts him and makes the decision for us, cause man. Our defense needs help in the worst way but Pitts is guaranteed to be an absolute monster. It is textbook BPA vs need.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The x-factor is you don't know what player will ultimately pan out.

With that in mind, you always take the blue-chip player unless it's quarterback and you already have a blue-chip quarterback. Then you trade your pick for a king's ransom to some team looking for a blue-chip quarterback.

So if Pitt is there at #10, and the Cowboys feel he is franchise player, you take him. Who cares if we have Jarwin or Schultz? The goal is to get major talent at each position if possible. Besides, Gallup is as good as gone this year or next.

Now, if there were other defensive players rated as high as Pitts or considered a generational player, you go for the talent but also for the need.

But I don't see Farley, Surtain or Parsons as generational players.

Even if there aren't enough balls to go around, Pitts will open up the field in ways Jarwin and Schultz cannot.

John813

Reaction score
I actually looked over this list of tight ends in the 1st round......if I'm not mistaken I think I came up with Tony Gonzales being the last one that lived up to his 1st round status.

Two guys that I guess may be debatable on the issue are Vernon Davis and Eric Ebron. Ebron is a mess....stats aren't terrible but man....then there's Vernon Davis which to me never lived up to his potential.....

Then there's Kittle, Waller and Kelce.....Three of the best tight ends in the league..none are first round picks.

Even if we look at what our own guys like Blake Jarwin and Dalton Schultz did in comparison to 1st round picks like OJ Howard and NJoku?

Love Pitts but man.....its best to invest in tight end later it seems than earlier.

I agree.

And it's not a small sample size either. It's 20+ years of history that most 1st round TE's don't end up living up to their draft selection while some of the best come from rounds 2-4.

Gronk, Hernandez, Kittle, Kelce, Ertz, Witten, Reed(concussions) Graham etc...

Waller came from the triple option and was more so of an athlete

Give me Pat F, Brevin or even Long in day 2.

I might be wrong as hell(I'm no football genius) but I just don't see the can't miss aura from Pitts. Maybe if he lands in the right environment and not some team in flames that has a bad QB/ no other options he could blossom right away.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I actually looked over this list of tight ends in the 1st round......if I'm not mistaken I think I came up with Tony Gonzales being the last one that lived up to his 1st round status.

Two guys that I guess may be debatable on the issue are Vernon Davis and Eric Ebron. Ebron is a mess....stats aren't terrible but man....then there's Vernon Davis which to me never lived up to his potential.....

Then there's Kittle, Waller and Kelce.....Three of the best tight ends in the league..none are first round picks.

Even if we look at what our own guys like Blake Jarwin and Dalton Schultz did in comparison to 1st round picks like OJ Howard and NJoku?

Love Pitts but man.....its best to invest in tight end later it seems than earlier.
Don't compare Pitts to other TEs.

In terms of how an offense is built, he's a WR.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
No. The point is that his value is in catching passes and the matchups he creates, it doesn't matter whether you call him a TE, WR, or anything else.
Is he also an A+++ blocker? If so maybe I'd be intrigued.

An A+ pass catcher? We already have 3 of those, and we have 2 viable TEs.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Let's be honest, Gallup is not a #1 receiver no matter how many times Jerry Jones pays to have that message broadcast into your brain. This is also probably his last year in Dallas.

Pitts can completely change the game. You'd be crazy to pass up a guy that no one can cover just to take one of the guys who couldn't cover him. Think about it.
I've been saying Gallup can be a number one since his rookie season. I disagree
I’m starting to come around on the idea if the board falls a certain way.
I mean, watching the offense would be a blast, but this defense is looking like it is going to get even worse unless we invest all of our draft capital into it.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Is he also an A+++ blocker? If so maybe I'd be intrigued.

An A+ pass catcher? We already have 3 of those, and we have 2 viable TEs.
Ok fine. I wouldn't take him at 10 either.

But call him what he is.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No. The point is that his value is in catching passes and the matchups he creates, it doesn't matter whether you call him a TE, WR, or anything else.
Ok but how is that any different than Evan Engram? Or Kittle? Or Kelce? Kelce is literally out there as a receiver......He's not reinventing the position.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Ok but how is that any different than Evan Engram? Or Kittle? Or Kelce? Kelce is literally out there as a receiver......He's not reinventing the position.
I didn't say it is, and I'd say the same thing about them.

Kittle and Kelce go top-10 easy in hindsight, but it's because of their value as receivers, not as TEs.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Ok fine. I wouldn't take him at 10 either.

But call him what he is.
He's an impressive player but I don't recall any top 10 TEs in the past decade that lived up to the hype, could be wrong.

If we did draft Pitts, I wonder what trade value Schultz and / or Jarwin would have. I imagine we could get a 4th or 5th for Schultz after his production last season, but would rather keep him and go a different direction in the 1st.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He's an impressive player but I don't recall any top 10 TEs in the past decade that lived up to the hype, could be wrong.

If we did draft Pitts, I wonder what trade value Schultz and / or Jarwin would have. I imagine we could get a 4th or 5th for Schultz after his production last season, but would rather keep him and go a different direction in the 1st.
Stop calling him a tight end, that is my point lol.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Stop calling him a tight end, that is my point lol.
Ah, I see, but in that case, even less desire to draft him lol. Esp when we have a need at pretty much every single defensive position, though we already agreed there lol

Hardline

Reaction score
First off .everyone is finally seeing in Pitts what I already knew all along and may not even make it past the iggles.
You people don't understand just how dominant he is going to be.
You will either believe me now or believe me later.
He has all the measurables of Calvin Johnson and can line up at TE or WR.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I didn't say it is, and I'd say the same thing about them.

Kittle and Kelce go top-10 easy in hindsight, but it's because of their value as receivers, not as TEs.

They would go top 10 but none of them were 1st round picks.

To me its alarming that the best tight ends in the league are all outside of the 1st round.

I think Pitts is going to be good. And I'm well aware he was better than all of these guys were in college.....but in order for me to invest in a tight end that high he needs to come into the league and be the best tight end in the league right now. He needs to be better than Kelce and Kittle right now and I don't think that's possible.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They would go top 10 but none of them were 1st round picks.

To me its alarming that the best tight ends in the league are all outside of the 1st round.

I think Pitts is going to be good. And I'm well aware he was better than all of these guys were in college.....but in order for me to invest in a tight end that high he needs to come into the league and be the best tight end in the league right now. He needs to be better than Kelce and Kittle right now and I don't think that's possible.
Stop calling him a tight end. This is the problem.

Both of those guys were under-drafted because teams looked at them through the TE lens. That's the difference with Pitts.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Gauging the future of players in specific positions like Pitt is being judged here suggests all things are equal.

The finite comments about this player not being special are correct up until the guy is special.

Once again. No running back EVER won the seasonal rushing title, and his team went on to win the Super Bowl.

Until Emmitt did it three times.