The Pitts talk is mental

king987

Reaction score
I have zero problem with Dallas taking Pitts. There are very few all-around game changing tight ends in the league, and having one does wonders for an offense & team. The potential of Pitts becoming one is super enticing. If Pitts is on the board at 10, he is very likely to be the BPA.

That all said, if they do take Pitts, then the next few picks have to be all about defense, and hopefully they shored some things up in FA.

I do also think that Pitts will very likely not make it to 10, so this is just all theoretical.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I have a hard time visualizing the Cowboys drafting Pitts. I think the guy is tremendous value but he's a hard player to gauge. Not only do we have 3 wideouts and Jarwin but Pitts can't block that well. If Pitts was an elite blocking TE and with his catch and route running skill set then I would say draft him. However, he's not going to help us in the run game, so it's a PASS for me.

Also, TE's should never be taken top 10. Has Hockenson turned Detroit into contenders?

George Kittle 5th round draft pick

Travis Kelce 3rd round draft pick

Antonio Gates Undrafted Free Agent

Jason Witten 3rd round draft pick

Jimmy Graham 3rd round draft pick

It's crazy to think how many people here were pushing for Kittle.

stiletto

Reaction score
First off .everyone is finally seeing in Pitts what I already knew all along and may not even make it past the iggles.
You people don't understand just how dominant he is going to be.
You will either believe me now or believe me later.
He has all the measurables of Calvin Johnson and can line up at TE or WR.

There are people here who know..just too many that think in the "now" and immediate need. If by some miracle Pitts falls to us at 10, I turn in the card and don't think twice. It would be ******** otherwise. I know we are in the minority.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Because talent and contracts factor in the draft...not just need.

If you draft Pitts, you could trade Gallup and gain draft capital or just let him walk in FA which is right around the corner. He’ll likely cost around 8 million / year at that time.

RamziD

Reaction score
The worst thing the team can do is draft BPA at need. You need to fix "adequately" whatever major needs before the draft in FA. If the draft board says that Pitts is a future Hall of Famer and he's there. You draft him. You don't want to be sitting there 10 years from now saying ,yeah that Kyle Pitts is going in the hall of fame, but my corner I Drafted instead, he lasted 5 years, did OK.... If you end up with Pitts you deal with the extra players later if he upgraded someone. You trade Gallup /other TE's whatever. Deal with the problem later.

You might think it is idiocy but it is really flawed "immediate gratification" logic to think otherwise
First of all, trying to predict a HOF career for a 20 year old player is ridiculous, as is the strict BPA orthodoxy. Besides all the WR and TE options we already have (including Jarwin, who just signed a 4 year contract), how are we going to balance ball distribution to all these receivers plus our handsomely paid RB? This team is already without any identity as it is, and adding Pitts only worsens it, plus neglects our glaring needs on defense. It just makes no sense on any level.

RamziD

Reaction score
Because talent and contracts factor in the draft...not just need.

If you draft Pitts, you could trade Gallup and gain draft capital or just let him walk in FA which is right around the corner. He’ll likely cost around 8 million / year at that time.
Pitts is not a WR.

Repeat after me: Athletic TEs and WRs are not interchangeable.

stiletto

Reaction score
First of all, trying to predict a HOF career for a 20 year old player is ridiculous, as is the strict BPA orthodoxy. Besides all the WR and TE options we already have (including Jarwin, who just signed a 4 year contract), how are we going to balance ball distribution to all these receivers plus our handsomely paid RB? This team is already without any identity as it is, and adding Pitts only worsens it, plus neglects our glaring needs on defense. It just makes no sense on any level.

First of all, you are on a forum just like the rest of us pal. You cannot predict whether you let out a fart after an hour just as much as I can..so... All I am saying is.... if 99% of people think 1 guy is Elite and 99% think the other guy can be a good player.. which 99% are you going with sir genius of the fan forum/(non-job in Real football having dumbarse)....

RamziD

Reaction score
First of all, you are on a forum just like the rest of us pal. You cannot predict whether you let out a fart after an hour just as much as I can..so... All I am saying is.... if 99% of people think 1 guy is Elite and 99% think the other guy can be a good player.. which 99% are you going with sir genius of the fan forum/(non-job in Real football having dumbarse)....
What you should do is look at the whole picture and not be so narrowly focused on BPA. There is not one team in the league that drafts strictly on BPA. Also, your line of thinking says Pitts is almost certain to be in the HOF while Farley and Surtain are most likely just going to be “ok” CBs.

stiletto

Reaction score
What you should do is look at the whole picture and not be so narrowly focused on BPA. There is not one team in the league that drafts strictly on BPA. Also, your line of thinking says Pitts is almost certain to be in the HOF while Farley and Surtain are most likely just going to be “ok” CBs.

So are you saying Farley/Surtain are going to have better careers than Pitts? You know it Nostradamus? Farley and Surtain by ALL scouts would be rated BELOW Diggs from last year. You know that right? Before we go on...

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Ok but how is that any different than Evan Engram? Or Kittle? Or Kelce? Kelce is literally out there as a receiver......He's not reinventing the position.
I certainly understand this viewpoint. And you’re a good poster who does understand football, so please don’t take this as me preaching at you. But:

Evan Engram isn’t nearly in the same class as Pitts. Engram had decent height, very good athleticism but was very raw at actually playing football. He was very much a projection. He’s fast as hell but all the other things that a TE/WR does was essentially missing.

Try to just forget about Pitts’ physical skills. He doesn’t need to be compared to Engram, Ebron, etc. Just focus on what he does on the football field. His ability to get open and catch the ball are unlike any college TE that I’ve ever seen. His natural feel for football in general and catching the ball in particular are better than great. They are pretty rare period but even more so for TE.

Everything he does on the football field is natural and easy for him. I’m talking about catching, running routes, high pointing the ball and even running after the catch. He understands angles, leverage, and has just a natural feel for all the physics that go into football. He already does most things right. And he is even an OK blocker, though that isn’t his strength.

I’ve been hesitant to say this but the natural way that Pitts catches the ball, runs routes and runs after the catch reminds me an awful lot of the way Randy Moss played. No, I’m not saying he’ll be the TE version of Moss, but there are some similarities in the way they play football. I’m just saying that how what they need to do to win their matchups comes so easily and naturally to them. They both play above the DB’s heads (in more than one way),and they both are among the most natural catchers that I’ve ever seen. Both are long, lean and extremely athletic and both seem to have rare hand-eye coordination.

Notice in none of that was I really talking about Pitts freakish physical skills. What I wrote above is almost exclusively about just being a great football player. I think way too many look at him as just a physical freak and think he needs to be compared to guys like Engram. He’s a completely different beast and much of what makes him so good is between his ears.

Sort of like comparing Randy Moss to John Ross because they are both really fast. It wasn’t Moss’ speed that made him a Hall of Farmer.

Now, on top of Pitts’ innate ability to be a really great football player, throw in his rare speed, his rare athleticism at 6’6” tall and huge catch radius and you have a guy that could be a unique, devastating weapon that has a chance to end up in the ring of honor and even more (read: HOF). Everything about him and his game screams blue-chip.

Regarding Kittle and Kelce, I know what you’re saying about them not being first round picks, however, if NFL teams knew what they would become, they wouldn’t hesitate to use a high pick on them. Both of those guys are highly paid and are huge weapons for their teams. However, teams just didn’t know how great they’d be. So it isn’t like a great TE isn’t worth it... teams just didn’t know that they’d be dominant. With Pitts, teams probably are pretty sure that he will be great so he’ll be picked early. Very early. Like probably before the 10th pick, making this whole conversation moot, haha.

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Some random thoughts on the possibility of Dallas taking Pitts:

• Although he would very likely be the BPA on the board, I personally wouldn’t necessarily look at drafting him as “going BPA”. I would more view it as a chance to get a guy to Dallas that could be a superstar and absolute game changer. A player that has the chance to end up in a yellow jacket. Getting a guy like that on your team for the next decade or so is a priceless opportunity that doesn’t come along very often.
  • Obviously, if there is also a defensive player who you view as a potential HOF’er like that, then you would go with the defensive guy because Dallas needs help on that side of the ball. Barring that though, I think you take that opportunity to add the elite talent to your team and work on defense with the rest of the draft.
  • To piggy back on what some other’s have said, if Dallas takes Pitts then probably either Cooper or Gallup get traded if you want to do it before this season. If you play this season with all of them, then next year you either take the compensatory 3rd for Gallup or you trade Cooper for picks, free up some salary cap room and use some of it to bring Gallup back. It would give the team options. Plus, Jarwin old be moved as well. Clearly, defense could be upgraded with the picks.
  • Kellen Moore and McCarthy are very creative with what they do offensively, and Moore is going to continue to improve for a while yet. I would be less likely to take Pitts with Garrett still leading the team because I wouldn’t trust him to use Pitts the way he should be used. Moore McCarthy will.
  • Pitts could be used as a TE or as a WR. I’m thinking that a two TE set with Pitts and Shultz along with Cooper and Lamb at WR would create big problems for defenses. Shultz is a good blocker and like I said in my previous post, Pitts is ok blocking. You definitely could run out of that package and in the passing game it would be difficult to deal with. It could be essentially like an 11 package (3 WR) but the blocking would be better in the run game. You could also have Pollard (or Elliott) as the RB and motion him out as a WR to create further issues. Defenses typically use a base defense against a two TE set but with Cooper, Lamb, Pitts and Pollard it could act as a 4 WR package if they do treat it as a running formation. If they use a dime to defend it... then run it down their throat.
  • Pitts could be split out as a WR as I mentioned. Who gets the 3rd corner in this instance? Cooper? Lamb? Pitts? I can tell you that Pitts would eat a 3rd corner alive.
  • Pitts would be lethal in the red zone.
  • I’m not big on saying “help your defense by having a better offense”... but converting third downs and holding the ball certainly does limit exposure on your defense.
  • Nolan was horrendous as the D coordinator in Dallas. Add no offseason to Nolan’s scheme and it is no wonder they were terrible. Just by adding Quinn and his scheme to this defense, they should be much better. They still need some players there, but they will be better. Heck, they were better by the end of the year, even with all the injuries and no help. They will improve this season. By using the majority of rounds 2 through 7 on defense and adding a free agent or two, the defense could make some serious improvements, even if Pitts is picked at 10.
  • I think that this is all probably an exercise in futility because I expect Pitts to be long gone by the time Dallas picks.
  • If he isn’t picked by Dallas, I hope like crazy that he doesn’t end up in the NFC East. In fact, I’d love to see him in the AFC if he’s not here.

RandyOh

Reaction score
If Pitts is our choice at 10 then i would hope/think Gallup and possibly Shultz are on there way to the trade block to exchange for more established defensive help instead of relying on a rookie defender or defenders. It is possible to get the defensive help we need without having to force our hand and reaching for defense in the 1st. Just saying

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Nah... I believe in building NFL teams from the inside out... For 25 years we been drafting fringe players and been weak in the middle. It ain’t working. Jerry does love stars. But we have enough.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Stop calling him a tight end. This is the problem.

Both of those guys were under-drafted because teams looked at them through the TE lens. That's the difference with Pitts.
Pitts is coming into this league as a tight end. He’s not a receiver.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
First off .everyone is finally seeing in Pitts what I already knew all along and may not even make it past the iggles.
You people don't understand just how dominant he is going to be.
You will either believe me now or believe me later.
He has all the measurables of Calvin Johnson and can line up at TE or WR.
You’re not saying something most people aren’t. Everyone seems to think he will have a huge impact....but let’s also remember Calvin Johnson didn’t make it to the post season much. His fault? No. But it goes to show you that a Calvin Johnson means nothing without other pieces around him like a defense.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Pitts is coming into this league as a tight end. He’s not a receiver.

Many tight ends these days are used largely as a receiver, though. Outside of positions like center, etc. what a player is called doesn't define what he actually does for a team...

RamziD

Reaction score
So are you saying Farley/Surtain are going to have better careers than Pitts? You know it Nostradamus? Farley and Surtain by ALL scouts would be rated BELOW Diggs from last year. You know that right? Before we go on...
What I’m saying is those guys, much like Pitts, have a good chance to become entrenched starters with a big impact on their teams. The difference between the CBs (or Parsons, maybe even an OT) and Pitts isn’t so great that we should just draft Pitts based on talent/BPA alone. What’s the plan for Pitts with all our pieces on offense? Trading a player like Jarwin or Gallup for great value is easier said than done and we don’t have the cap room or strategy to get the top defensive guys in FA.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Many tight ends these days are used largely as a receiver, though. Outside of positions like center, etc. what a player is called doesn't define what he actually does for a team...
I agree but at that's my point. If he's not going to come into the league and be the best player in the league what good is he to the Cowboys at that position?