The play that Glenn fumbled

Word Mofo

Reaction score
Why are there so many people dogging this play selection?

It's a conservative play - Glenn isn't supposed to get a first down or anything - but he should get 4-6 yards on that play normally.

A run up the middle by Barber would have probably only netted 1-2 yards.

Throwing downfield would have risked a safety or worse.

That was a good call, just poor execution by Glenn, and an excellent play by the defender.

Tell me why this is a bad call.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Word Mofo;1294701 said:

It's a conservative play - Glenn isn't supposed to get a first down or anything - but he should get 4-6 yards on that play normally.

That was a good call, just poor execution by Glenn, and an excellent play by the defender.

It was a big-time choke by Glenn. We shouldn't absolve him of blame and pile it all on Romo.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Word Mofo;1294701 said:

true.

terry STUNK today.

bad drop earlier

worst fumble in years. :(

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Word Mofo;1294701 said:

I didn't mind the call at all.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If he doesn't slip, he would have easily run past the defender and gotten 15 yards or more depending on where the rest of the secondary was. He had the guy beat.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a bad call because it never works for us. We've done it all year. It doesn't net 6 or more yards. It nets 2 or 3. I don't like those low throws for virtually no yardage.

wxcpo

Reaction score
The problem I have with the play is it wasn't a fumble at all. Glenn failed to make a football move before the ball touched the ground. The play should have been whistled dead, incomplete pass and Dallas retains possession of the ball. I seen several plays this year where a receiver caught the ball, took one or two steps and dropped the ball and it was ruled incomplete. That was the worst call of the year because that single call ended our season. Had the refs mad e the correct call there then we aren't trailing and we run the clock out and win the game.

links18

Reaction score
i think that interpretation is correct. But you know that probably never entered the minds of the refs or the coaches at the time. That played was so ********, you knew they were going to miss something on the review.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I loved the call. A much better option than running up the gut for little if any gain. The execution was obviously not good but the call was.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;1294803 said:
It's a bad call because it never works for us. We've done it all year. It doesn't net 6 or more yards. It nets 2 or 3. I don't like those low throws for virtually no yardage.

You must be smoking something. 2 or 3 yards? Get real. Stop making stuff up. Ran the play earlier and it netted 14. Like someone said. Its there to gain 4-6 yards. And if he doesn't slip he gets at least 4 because the CB was so far off.

Man, I know the game hurts but don't make stuff up.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wxcpo;1294809 said:
The problem I have with the play is it wasn't a fumble at all. Glenn failed to make a football move before the ball touched the ground. The play should have been whistled dead, incomplete pass and Dallas retains possession of the ball. I seen several plays this year where a receiver caught the ball, took one or two steps and dropped the ball and it was ruled incomplete. That was the worst call of the year because that single call ended our season. Had the refs mad e the correct call there then we aren't trailing and we run the clock out and win the game.

Are you saying it was an incomplete pass? That was my initial thought, that the ball touched the ground before Glenn had control. That being said, I hate that call unless it's to TO who is at least known for yards after the catch.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread:

I keep seeing this in different threads. Why was it such a bad call? Because it was a fumble? Hindsite=20/20.

This is the play that the Panthers run alot with Smith and it is very effective for them. Everyone was expecting a run, so why not try to surprise them? And if Glenn hadn't got the ball knocked out of his hands, he would have picked up big yardage because there wasn't a Seahawk defender near him as the one that was, fell down.

I imagine that if Glenn did not fumble and did indeed pickup big yardage, it would have been a "great" call.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
wxcpo;1294809 said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, WXCPO! That was my opinion when they showed the replay. He caught the ball, bobbled it slightly, and went to the turf with it. At that point, it should have been ruled incomplete and I thought that was what they would rule it after review. They have certainly ruled balls that were more caught than that one as incomplete!

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Word Mofo;1294701 said:

Wet ball does it every time, unfortunately it was twice...:banghead:

kramskoi

Reaction score
Word Mofo;1294701 said:

the result obviously...while the offensive line would probably have surrendered a safety anyway, they should've displayed this aggression on the third and one at 17-13 in the redzone...instead they save it for a questionable call in the shadow of their own goal post...two times they got it wrong...they did'nt play to the strength of the team and maximize red zone opportunities...too many field goals...the last of which bit them on the butt...

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
LandryFan;1295110 said:
Thank you, thank you, thank you, WXCPO! That was my opinion when they showed the replay. He caught the ball, bobbled it slightly, and went to the turf with it. At that point, it should have been ruled incomplete and I thought that was what they would rule it after review. They have certainly ruled balls that were more caught than that one as incomplete!
I totally agree that it was not a catch, because it obviously hit the turf. But I guess Parcells didn't challenge that part of it.

If we just execute on offense though, we win the game. That simple.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
percyhoward;1295433 said:
I totally agree that it was not a catch, because it obviously hit the turf. But I guess Parcells didn't challenge that part of it.

If we just execute on offense though, we win the game. That simple.

Parcells did not have to specifically challenge that part of it. All he had to do was challenge, period! Once the ref is under the hood, every aspect of the play is up for review. I think the ref was so intent on determining whether the ensuing action resulted in a TD, that he didn't even notice that it wasn't a catch to begin with.