The play that Glenn fumbled

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Word Mofo;1294701 said:
Why are there so many people dogging this play selection?

It's a conservative play - Glenn isn't supposed to get a first down or anything - but he should get 4-6 yards on that play normally.

A run up the middle by Barber would have probably only netted 1-2 yards.

Throwing downfield would have risked a safety or worse.

That was a good call, just poor execution by Glenn, and an excellent play by the defender.

Tell me why this is a bad call.

Agreed.

It was a good play call, just bad execution.

If we run it up the gut, then JJ risks being tackled in the end zone for a safety.

If we pass, Romo could get sacked in the end zone for a safety.

Terry Glenn has room to run if he doesn't slip and fall to the ground.

Just bad execution. But that's been our MO this year. :(

SuperG03

Reaction score
LandryFan;1295830 said:
Parcells did not have to specifically challenge that part of it. All he had to do was challenge, period! Once the ref is under the hood, every aspect of the play is up for review. I think the ref was so intent on determining whether the ensuing action resulted in a TD, that he didn't even notice that it wasn't a catch to begin with.

That is exactly my thoughts. I have heard many times this season that if a play is challenged for a specific event, once the replay is started, any aspect of the play can be looked at. Also, LandryFan, I think you are exactly right. If someone were to post the exact rules for what is a completed pass, I doubt highly that Glenn's pass would have been called a completed pass. The ref and the replay booth, really were scrutinizing the feet and position of the ball in the end zone, without even bothering to look at the pass in the first place. I wish I could get some definitive answer about what made them keep that as a catch / fumble, instead of incomplete. Also, I was too busy screaming, so maybe I missed this, but what did Parcells challenge? Did he say, hey ref, I think my guy didn't catch the ball, or did he say, hey ref, i think the ball went out of bounds after the fumble before it was recovered for a touchdown? Just curious.

SuperG

coogrfan

Reaction score
First, it's my understanding that the original call was a run, and that Romo audibled to that play. Imo there were two problems with his decision making:
  1. Any play that involves a pass is inherently more risky than running the ball up the gut;
  2. Glenn is the wrong guy to run the play Romo chose.
In that situation you have to think in terms of risk vs reward. Imo it was a bad decision by Romo, for the same reasons that running a toss play in that situation would have been bad:the potential consequences of a mistake were too severe.

Also, that play isn't exactly Terry Glenn's forte. Owens is good at it because he has the size to shake off a db, as well as the moves to elude a tackle. Glenn is too small to run over anybody, so he had to try to dance past the defender. That's a recipe for disaster.

My guess is the coaches had called either a qb sneak or a dive play for the hb. Presumably Romo audibled because he saw the defense stacked up where the play was going to run. If Romo wanted to audible to a pass, it needed to be either something quick to Owens or Witten, or a deep ball down the sideline to a wr in single coverage.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
Its a great call if youre running that play for T.O. a physical reciever one on one... Not glenn, he should of been in the slot as the check down, but who am i when we have "million dollar coaches" creating our scheme, i could make a better scheme from playin Madden

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
I don't like that particular play.
But since it was the call I don't have a problem with it being Glenn.
He catches 99% of whats thrown at him and he hasn't fumbled in for ever.
Had he held on to that ball we had a good chance at running most of the time off the clock.

Our lousy coach put them in position to make a play and they executed it like crap.:D

Reaction score
Coakleys Dad;1298320 said:
Its a great call if youre running that play for T.O. a physical reciever one on one... Not glenn, he should of been in the slot as the check down, but who am i when we have "million dollar coaches" creating our scheme, i could make a better scheme from playin Madden

I rewatched the play and it looked like T.O. was running a quick slant. The cornerback was way off, but there was a linebacker semi-close to him. It looked to me like he could have gotten 4 to 5 yards....IF, and thats a BIG IF, he had caught it.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Unlike the coaches, I don't blame Romo for audibling. The corner was playing way off of Glenn, and we've had success with those quick hitch passes in the past.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
bbgun;1298350 said:
Unlike the coaches, I don't blame Romo for audibling. The corner was playing way off of Glenn, and we've had success with those quick hitch passes in the past.

When did the coaches blame Romo? seriously I haven't heard or read that.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1298355 said:
When did the coaches blame Romo? seriously I haven't heard or read that.

Galloway:

On the Glenn fumble into the end zone, Romo audibled out of a run play and threw it to Glenn, which troubled the Dallas coaching staff.

Gordon

Reaction score
Good call, wrong WR, in my opinion. Forget about the fumble, that crap happens and there's nothing you can do about it.. As the play was unfolding, I immediately thought it should've been to TO because he is much more likely to break a tackle and get us out of there then TG is.

EDIT - Should've read the whole thread before posting, didn't realize it was an audible because of how deep the corner was playing.

DipChit

Reaction score
Well if he does have the power to audible I wish he would've on that 3rd and inches where Barber got stuffed. That play was huge.

There was plenty of space to just take it himself on the QB sneak as it so happened.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
great call.

horrendous execution by glenn, who had perhaps the worst playoff game of a receiver in dallas history this side of Jackie Smith

half the crybabies saying "bad call" would be complaining tuna was playing not to win.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
links18;1294901 said:
i think that interpretation is correct. But you know that probably never entered the minds of the refs or the coaches at the time. That played was so ********, you knew they were going to miss something on the review.

yeah. the refs never think of that stuff. sure.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
smarta5150;1298582 said:
It was an incomplete pass.

I cant wait till someone puts the clip up.

He caught it IMO.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Sarge;1298587 said:
He caught it IMO.

Thats why i said i cant wait till the clip surfaces.

There were about 10 of us last night who all agreed he never had control of it until it hit the turf.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
smarta5150;1298590 said:
Thats why i said i cant wait till the clip surfaces.

There were about 10 of us last night who all agreed he never had control of it until it hit the turf.

....and there were about 100 of us in the game thread that agreed he caught it.

We'll see.