The problem is not the secondary

joseephuss

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1300936 said:
To me, the problem is not the 34, per say. I don't love that defense but in the end, it doesn't really matter. You have to have guys who can bring pressure regardless. To me, it's the Cover2. Safeties just have to play better in order for it to work. I just think it doesn't suite our personel very well.

The 3-4 is not the problem. I was just describing why Ware ends up lining up opposite of receivers some times. It is part of that scheme. People see that and then come here saying it is stupid, but that is part of how it is supposed to be run. I don't see him doing it when they are in nickle. If that happend, then I would question the scheme.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
joseephuss;1300943 said:
The 3-4 is not the problem. I was just describing why Ware ends up lining up opposite of receivers some times. It is part of that scheme. People see that and then come here saying it is stupid, but that is part of how it is supposed to be run. I don't see him doing it when they are in nickle. If that happend, then I would question the scheme.

Understood. My bad. That's absolutly correct. Because the coverage dictates that your DBs are 7 to 10 off the ball, your LBs have to get a chuck on the slot guy or the TE in order to give the LBs and secondary any chance to find the zone match up. If not, it's pitch and catch with a whole lot of rac going on.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
McNabb had to avoid pressure on his long throws this season. Eli was flushed from the pocket on his long TD to Burress on MNF.

thats two, like I said, you can come up with a few times over the past few seasons, but not many...the vast majority are because the QB has all day, has a perfect pocket to throw and can easily step into the throw

There have been a lot of cases where Dallas made the QB move and either the safeties or linebackers just didn't cover their guy

you say that, but you can only think of two...there are not "alot of cases"

The inside linebackers are actually better in zone coverage than man to man coverage. Hard to believe, but true. That limits what Dallas can do.

thats because most LB's are better in zone...its because they dont have the speed and cover skills to run with guys man to man, especially WR's and TE's...that isnt just here, thats everywhere...further, when you play man to man, not EVERYBODY on your D covers one guy...on most plays you have 7 guys covering, but only 5 guys at the most go out for a pass....and most times only 3 or 4

Dallas runs the 3-4 scheme. That forces the outside linebackers to go out and line up against the receivers every now and then.

I hardly ever see Merriman cover somebody wide, if ever...how many times did Belichick have Willie McGinest line up wide? Andre Tippett and Lawrence Taylor were superior pass rush OLB's in the 3-4, and rarely were they spread out wide where they could basically be eliminated from the play

our style of defense is very fundamentally flawed...most players arnt put into positions to do what they do best...whether it be Ware almost always rushing the passer or Newman and Henry playing bump and run man coverage...RW hardly ever blitzes or plays in the box..Marcus Spears was a good pass rusher at LSU but hardly ever sniffs a QB here...our zone coverages, especially underneath are terrible because the LB's drop too far and split too far apart, leaving gaping holes

its just time to get somebody else in there and let them come up with some new ideas

David

kevsstang

Reaction score
With the pass rush we have 4 or 5 Deion Sanders would have a difficult time covering receivers for any length of time.

T-New41

Shut 'em Down
Reaction score
FLcowboy;1300878 said:
When I saw Ware covering a WR, I knew the defense was in trouble. What kind of scheme has Ware, the #1 rusher, doing out in the flat covering a wide receiver? It seems to me the lack of the ends being able to even apply pressure, let alone get a sack, is the biggest problem with the 3-4. Now I remember all the 3-4 gurus saying it was the LBs job to rush the passer, not the end, I have to wonder why Ware is covering a WR.

:hammer:

Proof is in the pudding. GROZ

burmafrd

Reaction score
You have your best cover guys covering and your best pass rushers going after the QB. That is just common sense. ALso, you do not have your #3 CB covering their #1 WR; that goes beyond common sense to being absolute stupidity. ANY system that allows that matchup is fatally flawed.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
Bungarian;1300854 said:
Although the secondary could play better it is the lack of pass rush that kills the team. Any secondary would look bad if the QB had 12 seconds to stand there before passing the ball.

Add to that the fact that our best pass rusher was covering receivers down field.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
Speaking of coverages and schemes,how come the 'Boys didn't attack SEA's makeshift secondary?

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1300881 said:
Off the top of my head, the skins game last year. Pressure came but we got beat deep twice.

A Glenn got owned!

http://i89.***BLOCKED***/albums/k215/eduncan22/TightCoverage.jpg