The QB Quandary

kevm3

Reaction score
We're going to be having this same conversation with whoever is the 'next QB'. We're going to bag on everyone until it points back to the FO once again. You know what team won the superbowl? The team that actually was AGGRESSIVE in free agency. Replacing the QB wouldn't solve anything. Isn't Aaron Rodgers considered one of the greatest qbs of all time? How did he do against the 49ers? Coaching and FO are arguably the most important things in this era and that's where we always come up short because our FO is the ownership and they choose buddy buddy coaches. McVey is the same guy that took Goff to a superbowl... where is Goff now? On a 3 win team?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They'd be wise to look at drafting a QB next year.

Dak will likely leave after 2024. UFA. No tag/no trade contract clause.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The problem with fixing things on this team is finding what the problem is when your not sure who is calling the shots....again its easy to say "Lets replace this" or "Add to this" but when you cant tell me if the HC and OC are on the same page or that the OC and O-line coach see the same thing or are they all being force fed to each other....Teams that win have good players for sure but they also have a cohesivness that shows through in big games...you can not say that about this franchise through the last 26 years....So yes i would love to fix the O-line or "Make the offense easier" but then i would need someone to help me fiure out why it works for a while then like an E-Brake dies on the vine.....yes Jerry is the easy answer but that doesn't make it the wrong answer.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This is not a hate/love Dak thread.
This thread is about how do we improve our production at the QB position?
I am curious what concrete solutions other posters have on how we improve the position?
The only rule here is it has to be in the realm of possibility.
So, you can't just say: "cut Dak", it would have to fit the salary cap.
If you can cut Dak and make it work with the cap,
what other player would you bring in that would give us better numbers?

My take is that with the contract Dak has, he is gonna be here awhile.
My solution would be for Mac to redesign the offence into a more West Coast short passing game.
Dak seems to struggle with reading the field, so cut down on the options.

Also invest heavily in the oline with the draft and remaining free agent signings.
Having your center in your lap when you drop back to pass is difficult for any QB to overcome.

If possible go to a more run heavy offense.
We have 2 very good RB's, play to that strength.

I also would love to see Mac in control of the offense/playcalling and not Moore.
Mac's forte is offense and why is making the big bucks.
Let's take advantage of that as well.

Thoughts ?

I don't think the front office sees it as a quandary. If anything, they seem to be leaning toward putting more on him.

I think the Cowboys should focus on being a power running team that uses play action but that hasn't been Moore's game.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I don't think the front office sees it as a quandary. If anything, they seem to be leaning toward putting more on him.

I think the Cowboys should focus on being a power running team that uses play action but that hasn't been Moore's game.
Really want to see Mac more involved in the offensive scheme.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Bucky Brooks thinks the Ravens should do that with Lamar.

It's a valid question. If a guy hasn't convinced you within 4-5 years, you gotta ask yourself why you would commit to him.

Sure, it sucks to give up on a "good" QB that is going to keep you relevant in the regular season but the ultimate goal is a championship. If you don't believe he gives you an advantage when the going gets tough, you need to move on while someone else might still believe in him.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doesn't matter because Stephen and the Jones boys will not build a team capable of winning in the post season. Wouldn't matter what QB we have they will not go all in and build a roster capable of winning

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I am curious what concrete solutions other posters have on how we improve the position?

My solution would be for Mac to redesign the offence into a more West Coast short passing game.

Also invest heavily in the oline with the draft and remaining free agent signings.
Having your center in your lap when you drop back to pass is difficult for any QB to overcome.

I also would love to see Mac in control of the offense/playcalling and not Moore.

Thoughts ?
Well john you covered most of it, the problem is the jones boys. We cant tell them anything, and even if you could ,
it would probably go in one ear and out the other.

If I were a HC, I would not force a QB to run " my offense", I would watch him on field, and design a offense specifically for him and the other guys I have on offense.
That is the key, design it for the guys you have.
Also simplify it as much as possible and practice a small # of plays a lot, not a whole bunch occasionally.
That way whatever you do you will do it very good.

Kellen is not ready to be a OC, and mike is well not that great at it, but I would like to see him in charge of kellen and offense, call plays and see how he does.
Mike was always good till the playoffs, and that is where he struggled.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Well john you covered most of it, the problem is the jones boys. We cant tell them anything, and even if you could ,
it would probably go in one ear and out the other.

If I were a HC, I would not force a QB to run " my offense", I would watch him on field, and design a offense specifically for him and the other guys I have on offense.
That is the key, design it for the guys you have.
Also simplify it as much as possible and practice a small # of plays a lot, not a whole bunch occasionally.
That way whatever you do you will do it very good.

Kellen is not ready to be a OC, and mike is well not that great at it, but I would like to see him in charge of kellen and offense, call plays and see how he does.
Mike was always good till the playoffs, and that is where he struggled.
I would love love love for Mac to install his offense and call the plays.
To me Moore showed he was not yet ready to be an OC.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Playing with an injury really makes a difference....don't know of you have ever done that, but it's not easy
I can't say I have played QB with an injury, but this tendency isn't just a one year thing with Dak. And this is a mindset I'm talking about, not a physical hinderance. To me the biggest improvement he could make is consistently playing with that mindset.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe so, and yes, it can get better.
But I suspect at least 25 of 32 starting QBs last year would've been thrilled with Dallas' line last year.
We are spoiled beyond belief.
Our center was horrible, and Collins, Smith and Martin all missed games.....I wouldn't be thrilled with that.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I blame Moore for letting dak change the runs to pass because the defenses fool him.

and I agree, dak doesn't win games, the team does. now losses we can give to him.:D

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Thoughts ?
Maybe take notes from how McVay set up Goff to succeed. Let the receivers run routes in which Dak can see them all at once, removing the need to go through a lot of progressions.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Maybe take notes from how McVay set up Goff to succeed. Let the receivers run routes in which Dak can see them all at once, removing the need to go through a lot of progressions.
yep, that is the only way for him to succeed. he's very slow in his reads and he needs a one-step and throws offense where he doesn't have to think. he's no thinker.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

Thoughts ?

Give Dak another 200 mill a season and he MIGHT play better. He admitted himself that he didn't play his best ball, is it because he wants a lot more money before he starts to give a crap about winning?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Give Dak another 200 mill a season and he MIGHT play better. He admitted himself that he didn't play his best ball, maybe its because he wants a lot more money before he starts to give a crap about winning.
if he wants to play better he needs a private coach to help him learn to read defense and a fear counselor.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I have always been a fan of Dak ........but he needs to show it this year and play all year like he did in the first half of the season ........ and honestly if a steal of a QB falls in the draft in a later round they should get him for backup and competition.