The Quarterback Accuracy Game

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
(Note: This game was inspired by Aikman's recent comments on the topic)

My opinion: Passing accuracy is a quarterback's ability to throw a catchable ball within a receiver's catch radius while avoiding direct interference from a defender.

Let's play a game (shaddup Antonio Banderas!)

Take two or more quarterbacks of your choosing. Write each quarterback's name and include a numbered list of 1 through 9 directly below each name. Example:

fic60f9.png

Each number coincides with the particular receiving route shown below. For example, #4 for each quarterback's list is the Curl route.

KhxOCvj.png

Here is the game's (not practice or warmups) scenario. Imagine it is any down and the offensive line is providing excellent protection but the quarterback must throw the pass to the receiver within a maximum of 4 seconds of the snap.

Using your personal perception of each quarterback's passing accuracy, assign one point for each route the quarterback can routinely throw a catchable pass regardless if the receiver drops the pass. Assign zero for each route the quarterback cannot routinely throw a catchable pass regardless if the receiver drops the pass. Then add the number of points for each individual list and arrive at a total for each quarterback. Example:

Quarterback Z
1. 1
2. 1
3. 0
4. 1
5. 1
6. 0
7. 1
8. 1
9. 0

Total: 6 points

Let's define routinely as throwing more catchable than uncatchable passes. For the purposes of the game, establish 2 or more catchable passes out of a total of 3 total passes thrown to each route as routine. Conversely, 1 or zero catchable passes out of 3 total passes is not routine.

The quarterback with the most points has demonstrated to you how accurate he is by comparison to other quarterbacks based on your own perception.

Please remember one thing. It is only a game. :p

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do radius mean
radius.jpg

Catch radius for a receiver is the endpoint where a pass arrives to the receiver between their hands and body with their arms fully stretched. The center point in the graph above would illustrate the receiver's body and the circle represents the receivers' hands (again arms fully extended). A receiver can adjust their catch radius by jumping, diving, etc. but it is typically the area where the ball arrives via pass as a receiver runs his route.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can we just cut to the chase and proclaim Dak as the most accurate passer of all time?
OR...

The game could help participants more clearly see what Aikman has commented about. Additionally, it could help with comparisons between other quarterbacks who are not at the center of CowboysZone's latest posting melodrama.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I still shake my head at this video every time it is reposted (y'all quit it! :mad: ) . It does not help inspire confidence that the targets are stationary.

Not to mention--Carr's been out of the league for a while too.

His last season was 2012. He isn't even close to being in game sharp condition.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not to mention--Carr's been out of the league for a while too.

His last season was 2012. He isn't even close to being in game sharp condition.
I know what you mean about Carr but he is not necessary for emphasis and is actually irrelevant in my opinion. Ponder this. Remove Carr from this video. Poof. Gone. Prescott would be the only participant. Would the results change? Personally, it does not matter to me how Carr performs in the video.

[EDIT] It is kinda like The Big Bang Theory episode where Amy disproves Indiana Jones necessity in the entire The Raiders Of The Lost Ark movie. :D I hate The Big Bang Theory sometimes. :(

:p

Blake

Reaction score
I still shake my head at this video every time it is reposted (y'all quit it! :mad: ) . It does not help inspire confidence that the targets are stationary.

Imagine if Carr had a competent o-line early in his career though. Truly believe he could of been a fairly decent starter for a number of years, and not remembered as a trash qb.

That said, that video is embarrassing. It's what began to first sway my opinion on Dak.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If the crossbar was a receiver, he would hav3 had to stop and run back for Daks throw

Who was the QB from 3 or 4 years ago, Alex somebody. Had the video of all the trick shot throws.
Everyone thought he could be the next Tony but better.

Where is he now? Not in the NFL.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I also believe that passing accuracy involves the ability to lead a receiver without forcing him to stop, reach back, slide, or slow down for a pass that is within his catch radius.

That’s a key component.
I would say that is 'a' component and not 'the' component. The best passers of all-time have sometimes thrown average passes within the vicinity of a receiver's catch radius. My expectation is for the receiver to adjust their route accordingly to complete the pass attempt. Certainly, I myself want every pass to be picture perfect but I do not apply most or all blame onto the quarterback for receivers not catching catchable balls.