The Rams are a model for the Cowboys

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Main part of the reason why the Rams are in the Super Bowl, is because of two players they drafted and didn’t sign in free agency… Donald and Kupp.
Stafford is a decent QB and an upgrade from Goff, but he’s not great and is probably no better or worse than Dak.
Signing expensive free agents is more miss than hit.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ask Seattle if that worked? I believe you surrendered a top 10 pick for Adams. It rarely works as teams aren't usually 1 player away. Rams were fortunate that they missed out on going to GB and not seeing the Chiefs in the SB.
Yes, but Tampa and LA didn’t just bring in 1 player. They brought in several talents via FA.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Its got nothing to do with spending money. If Jerry had no salary cap, he would buy us a super bowl. We would have no budget........ like in the 90's when we were winning. But Jerry voted against that system in favor of one with a salary cap structure. Every team has the SAME cap dollars they must spend. The issue is how you spend those cap dollars. We are not good at making those decisions b/c we have nobody in the front office with a high football IQ.
Tampa and LA have proven there is a way to maneuver in Cap to bring in some key talent in FA. Seems like this tactic would be attractive to him.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes, but Tampa and LA didn’t just bring in 1 player. They brought in several talents via FA.
You need to do well in all phases, draft, fa and trade market. We have seen teams try to build via fa and totally destroyed the future of their teams. Giants have done it twice in recent years.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tampa and LA have proven there is a way to maneuver in Cap to bring in some key talent in FA. Seems like this tactic would be attractive to him.

Sure, Tampa brought in Brady which is something you can not duplicate. LA doesn't have a first round pick until 2024 and they are not paying Mathew Stafford 40M. Stafford made 23M this year and LA has no obligation to pay him next year.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
It worked for the Rams this year but it’s failed more often than not.

Rams won't have to worry about Belichek and Brady this time around.

But Rams were on already course and in a previously SB, even before they traded for Ramsey and Von Miller, ..- and credit them for daring to pick up cut street free agent OJ Beckham.

They manage to make coaching structure work for them ..... . A total indifference than what the Cowboys do .. :(

quickccc

Reaction score
You need to do well in all phases, draft, fa and trade market. We have seen teams try to build via fa and totally destroyed the future of their teams. Giants have done it twice in recent years.

Stephen simply does not believe in middle-ground vet acquisitions. It's more the Money Ball approach.

NFL draft, ..bargain-cheap vet FA's and re-signing core players (dak, ZKE, cooper, martin, etc.) That's the Stephen core plan and he refuses to deter away from it.

The only time we dare try that route was the mid season Amari Cooper trade when we were just too crappy at WR unit.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
and after this season given the FA the Rams have, we will see if they continue to be a top competitive team

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sure, Tampa brought in Brady which is something you can not duplicate. LA doesn't have a first round pick until 2024 and they are paying Mathew Stafford 40M. Stafford made 23M this year and LA has no obligation to pay him next year.
Can’t duplicate exactly… but

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Hopefully Jethro will pay attention to how they turned this around by making bold moves in FA and blockbuster trades not satisfied with just a playoff team.

They took a chance mortgaging the future to win now. This is definitely a model our owner could follow . And could be the best path to bringing in more talent to get over the hump, now.
How does the win now model carry over into near future? Is that a better approach than what we have seen teams like the Patriots, Packers, Ravens, Steelers, Chiefs and Saints achieve over time?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have Dak who broke all models.......:muttley:.... Baby, we are going places!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
and after this season given the FA the Rams have, we will see if they continue to be a top competitive team
Who cares if you win it all now.

We’d think after 27 years we’d be willing to mortgage no guarantee of the future for a better shot now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How does the win now model carry over into near future? Is that a better approach than what we have seen teams like the Patriots, Packers, Ravens, Steelers, Chiefs and Saints achieve over time?
There is no future in win now. But is there a future anyway. And who cares if we win now.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can’t duplicate exactly… but

The problem starts with Dak who is simply not good enough AND the huge amount of money we pay for his services. Stafford's cheap salary this year made a lot of their acquisitions possible. I thought we should have gone this route 2 years ago, and I was never in favor of giving Dak a huge cap killing contract. Now that window is closed until we can get out of Prescotts contract.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The start of the rams model is the owner hired a GM who hired Sean McVey. The owner hoisting the NFC championship trophy tonight is basking in glory because he realizes he is not best suited to run football operations.

And bingo was his name-o!

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The fact of the matter is the Cowboys have a part time General Manager. Most teams GMs are out here working 60+ hours a week to make their teams better. Ours is putting in 20 tops. If the Dallas Cowboys ever win another ring it will be in spite of the Joneses.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The problem starts with Dak who is simply not good enough and the huge amount of money we pay. Stafford's cheap salary this year made a lot of their acquisitions possible. I thought we should have gone this route 2 years ago, and I was never in favor of giving Dak a huge cap killing contract. Now that window is closed until we can get out of Prescotts contract.
And I’m not saying we have to do this now. We might be too handcuffed with guaranteed contracts but maybe in a year or two .

With the success LA and Tampa had with blockbuster QB deal along with several other FA moves bringing in named big talents we might see more teams making such bold risk. And I can’t think of a better risk taker than our owner.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I’m not saying we have to do this now. We might be too handcuffed with guaranteed contracts but maybe in a year or two .

With the success LA and Tampa had with blockbuster QB deal along with several other FA moves bringing in named big talents we might see more teams making such bold risk. And I can’t think of a better risk taker than our owner.

A lot of us have been advocating this for years. Its better to go all in and accept rebuilding every 3-4 years than continue on this 25 year merry-go-round of mediocrity.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Who cares if you win it all now.

We’d think after 27 years we’d be willing to mortgage no guarantee of the future for a better shot now.

and if they don't? When you say "we" you mean you, I don't want to see a 1 year run. I would always look to build now and have a chance to compete longer term as well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A lot of us have been advocating this for years. Its better to go all in and accept rebuilding every 3-4 years than continue on this 25 year merry-go-round of mediocrity.
Right. The Cap era has reshaped how teams are built and maintained . Why not use it in the capacity these last 2 Super Bowl teams have turned it around. I think it’s a potential model we haven’t seen much of this era.

And with an aging owner desperate to prove himself it appeared to me with the Rams this year it could be something our owner considers at some point.