The Rams with a historic rookie class

kskboys

Reaction score
I still wouldn’t prefer to do what they did….and it was an easy dropped interception away from not working…

But damn theres a ton of middle ground between that approach and our refusal to sign any well above average free agent…ever.
You first need Aaron Donald. And then to find starting quality OL's in rounds 2-5.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Frankly, if they are changing philosophies to build through the draft, I think that's dumb considering the all-in philosophy got them two trips to the Super Bowl. I can understand, though, if they are trying to build up the ranks to where they can go all-in again. Got to at least be close to a complete roster before you can go for it.
I don't think they are. They just have a readjustment period out of cap necessity.

Given that there are more UDFAs in the league than players taken in rds 4-7, and they had few high picks, it looks like they took the high-volume approach and hoping to hit on a few later-round guys.

They've had decent luck at that in the past, so we'll see.

I prefer quality over quantity but they supposedly have done some analytics here and are going for the percentages.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't think they are. They just have a readjustment period out of cap necessity.

Given that there are more UDFAs in the league than players taken in rds 4-7, and they had few high picks, it looks like they took the high-volume approach and hoping to hit on a few later-round guys.

They've had decent luck at that in the past, so we'll see.

I prefer quality over quantity but they supposedly have done some analytics here and are going for the percentages.
I like the quantity approach because even the best draft pick can fail. Of course, I don't like it the way we did it in 2009, trading away premium picks, but if you can slide down a little and pick up extra ammo, I'm for that. More swings of the bat, the more likely you are to connect.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I like the quantity approach because even the best draft pick can fail. Of course, I don't like it the way we did it in 2009, trading away premium picks, but if you can slide down a little and pick up extra ammo, I'm for that. More swings of the bat, the more likely you are to connect.
Agree.

In their case, they were getting more shots at multiple players all probably graded in similar ranges.
Chance of hitting goes up.

Fwiw, I do think they hit on their 2nd round pick with OG Avila. He will start and was a huge need area.

kskboys

Reaction score
Except the later you draft, the less likely you are to connect.

Rounds 4-7 are pure dart throws. You want as many picks in rounds 1-2 as possible. Collecting mid/late round picks has never worked. Mostly, they don't even make the team. Quality is much more important that quantity when it comes to drafting, unless you're referring the multiple 1-2 round picks.

You should only trade down if the benefit is obvious and huge, or if the offer is too good to pass up. Trading down should include high picks in next years draft. That's how you end up w/ multiple picks in rounds 1-2.

Now, in this draft, trading down wasn't a bad idea, simply because this draft was middle loaded. Aside from Anderson and Carter and Bejan, there wasn't a whole lot of difference between the top prospects and the next couple or so.

fivetwos

Reaction score
You first need Aaron Donald. And then to find starting quality OL's in rounds 2-5.
Speaking of….

Bold prediction, and I want props when it hits lol….Rams make Donald available at the deadline. Two firsts lands him.

If we start well and aren’t seriously hurt by the injury bug, do you do it? I would for a guy that would take the team over the top. I don’t think the FO would though at that price, and of course that would throw off cap boys delicate manipulation of the spending limit.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Speaking of….

Bold prediction, and I want props when it hits lol….Rams make Donald available at the deadline. Two firsts lands him.

If we start well and aren’t seriously hurt by the injury bug, do you do it? I would for a guy that would take the team over the top. I don’t think the FO would though at that price, and of course that would throw off cap boys delicate manipulation of the spending limit.
Donald has considered retiring each of the last two offseasons.
They won't get 2 firsts for him anymore.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The

Honestly, the way they won the Super Bowl was pretty lame.

The NFL wanted the Rams to win to get LA back into football.

Now they're going to suck for the next 3 years.
If the way a team wins a Lombardi is “lame”, then I wanna be lame. Winning a championship is THE goal. No matter what it takes to get there. 50 years from now, no one will call that Rams championship lame.

75boyz

Reaction score
If the way a team wins a Lombardi is “lame”, then I wanna be lame. Winning a championship is THE goal. No matter what it takes to get there. 50 years from now, no one will call that Rams championship lame.
As I responded to Stash's earlier post Bob..
A decent board majority here prefers standing pat over any risk whatsoever to get better.
And those real extremists even want a guarantee that the risk taken to improve will be better than what is now.
It's like they have lost their minds with not understanding how the risk to reward concept works.

Status Quo is the way to go! lol

gimmesix

Reaction score

Rounds 4-7 are pure dart throws. You want as many picks in rounds 1-2 as possible. Collecting mid/late round picks has never worked. Mostly, they don't even make the team. Quality is much more important that quantity when it comes to drafting, unless you're referring the multiple 1-2 round picks.

You should only trade down if the benefit is obvious and huge, or if the offer is too good to pass up. Trading down should include high picks in next years draft. That's how you end up w/ multiple picks in rounds 1-2.

Now, in this draft, trading down wasn't a bad idea, simply because this draft was middle loaded. Aside from Anderson and Carter and Bejan, there wasn't a whole lot of difference between the top prospects and the next couple or so.
I don't disagree with that. I wouldn't, for example, trade out of the first, but I might trade down in the first to pick up an extra third or trade down in the second to pick up an extra fourth. It really depends on the value. Obviously, you don't want to trade down if you can take a player of much greater value, but for the most part, I'd trade down quite a bit if the opportunity was there.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't disagree with that. I wouldn't, for example, trade out of the first, but I might trade down in the first to pick up an extra third or trade down in the second to pick up an extra fourth. It really depends on the value. Obviously, you don't want to trade down if you can take a player of much greater value, but for the most part, I'd trade down quite a bit if the opportunity was there.
All depends on the draft.

For instance, I would've traded back in the Zeke draft, if something decent was offered.

gimmesix

Reaction score
All depends on the draft.

For instance, I would've traded back in the Zeke draft, if something decent was offered.
Yeah, but we probably would have ended up with Paxton Lynch.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well said. Trading multiple picks from Day 3 to get an extra pick on Day 2 or even more so on Day 1 is just increasing the odds of landing some impactful talent. Dallas has traditionally overvalued its picks in rounds 4-7- especially if they could be packaged in a trade to get more higher picks.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Well said. Trading multiple picks from Day 3 to get an extra pick on Day 2 or even more so on Day 1 is just increasing the odds of landing some impactful talent. Dallas has traditionally overvalued its picks in rounds 4-7- especially if they could be packaged in a trade to get more higher picks.
I’m not sure they overvalue them, but more it’s they know they’ll be cheap additions against the cap.
This years draft was screaming out for us to move up in the 2nd or 3rd.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
The

Honestly, the way they won the Super Bowl was pretty lame.

The NFL wanted the Rams to win to get LA back into football.

Now they're going to suck for the next 3 years.
Not 3. Wouldn't shock me if they go 11-6 this year.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
If you are completely trying to reset your roster \ cap like they are, that's fine.

If you are more competitive & trying to get those 3-5 players that can make the roster, do what you can to get the players that have the best chance of hitting.

I hate drafts where you pick a bunch of folks. You are only going to get a short time to evaluate them and they can't all make your roster. What good is it to be pick a guy who needs some development time but you don't have a place to carry him?

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, but we probably would have ended up with Paxton Lynch.
Or Ronnie Stanley, Leonard Floyd, Ryan Kelly, Taylor Decker, Kenny Clark, Laremy Tunsil, DeForest Buckner. Pointing at one draftee that didn't work out doesn't mean you shouldn't have traded back.